Bought my first firearm today

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle and I went to a couple gun shows today. I've been meaning to get one for a while, but in NY it's near impossible to get a permit. I had an idea of a few I wanted, and I saw this and liked it immediately. I paid $265 for it, it's a Hungarian-made FEG PA-63, which from what I read is a Walther PPK clone, and uses 9x18mm Makarov rounds. It came with a nice leather holster, one magazine, and a box of ammo. I need to get with my uncle (who is a cop) or my dad's old friend from HS at the range to learn to use it properly, and safely. I'm thinking about getting a bit lighter hammer spring, as the initial pull is quite heavy. Will see about that later. I'm also left handed, so I need to try to find the standard grips for it, since the thumbrest on the lefthand side might get in the way.

If anyone knows anything about deciphering the year of manufacture from the Serial numbers on FEG firearms, let me know. I'm trying to find the year of make. From what someone else there said, the B series should be late 60s.

I just spent 2 hours taking apart/cleaning/oiling it, it was pretty dirty. It definitely seems like it's seen some use in the past.
Anyway, here are some pics!

Here is a link to the gallery with full-size images
http://imgur.com/a/sS5X9

_MG_9933_zps4a4e3068.jpg

_MG_9936_zpse56806d7.jpg

_MG_9937_zpsde8b220a.jpg

_MG_9939-Copy_zps1307da3d.jpg

_MG_9941_zps3d5de2d1.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet. As an owner of several firearms safety is your number one priority. Anyway if you have some land or a gun range nearby go and break it in and let us know how it goes. Firearms can be addicting.

Congratulations! Depending on where you are in the state, it's not all that difficult to get a pistol permit. Most rural counties are pretty much shall issue. Just some forms to fill out then wait wait wait while the sheriff and judge do their thing.

(I applied for mine a couple months ago probably won't get it until the summer)

I had one of these. Having an aluminum alloy frame they do feel a bit more snappy than the Walthers which have a steel frame. It it really the size of a Walther PP more than the smaller PPK. I recommend you look into getting a new recoil spring for it as a safety measure. You don't know the round count on the current one and it is a cheap insurance policy against the gun beating itself to death.

I eventually sold mine. Only issue I had was the last round hold open did not always engage with a couple of my mags.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I had one of these. Having an aluminum alloy frame they do feel a bit more snappy than the Walthers which have a steel frame. It it really the size of a Walther PP more than the smaller PPK. I recommend you look into getting a new recoil spring for it as a safety measure. You don't know the round count on the current one and it is a cheap insurance policy against the gun beating itself to death.

I eventually sold mine. Only issue I had was the last round hold open did not always engage with a couple of my mags.

Yeah after doing some reading last night, I ordered some new Marschal flat grips, a 15lb recoil spring, and a hammer spring kit, which includes a 9,11, and 13lb springs. The stock spring is 16lb, which is insane.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
Anyway if you have some land or a gun range nearby go and break it in and let us know how it goes.

Me thinks that gun was broken in 40 years ago.
wink.gif

At any rate, Hornady makes a nice XTP hollow point and is what I would load it with for home defense until you can get a more modern home defense gun. There aren't that many good defensive loads for 9x18, but Hornady's is excellent.

95gr_xtp.jpg

You can also tune the gun some with the recoil spring. Is 15# the stock weight? I have a CZ P-09 that comes with an 18# spring, and I've got a 13# in it right now. Great for shooting 115 gr target loads. But I don't know how much Makarov ammo varies in loading. There may not be that much choice like we have in 9mm...it's not a terribly popular round, at least in the United States.

Congratulations on pulling the trigger, so to speak. You're getting into a very enjoyable "thing" here (it's more than a hobby). Home defense, personal defense, target shooting, sport shooting, etc. Opportunities are nearly limitless.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
You can also tune the gun some with the recoil spring. Is 15# the stock weight? I have a CZ P-09 that comes with an 18# spring, and I've got a 13# in it right now. Great for shooting 115 gr target loads. But I don't know how much Makarov ammo varies in loading. There may not be that much choice like we have in 9mm...it's not a terribly popular round, at least in the United States.

Congratulations on pulling the trigger, so to speak. You're getting into a very enjoyable "thing" here (it's more than a hobby). Home defense, personal defense, target shooting, sport shooting, etc. Opportunities are nearly limitless.

I believe from what I read the stock recoil is 11lb. I ordered the 15lb because apparently due to the light weight of the frame, it has a bit more felt recoil than other 9mm mak pistols. I figured since I was already replacing the hammer spring, I might as well replace the recoil spring as well.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: joegreen
Anyway if you have some land or a gun range nearby go and break it in and let us know how it goes.

Me thinks that gun was broken in 40 years ago.
wink.gif

At any rate, Hornady makes a nice XTP hollow point and is what I would load it with for home defense until you can get a more modern home defense gun. There aren't that many good defensive loads for 9x18, but Hornady's is excellent.

95gr_xtp.jpg

I really like the look of that Makarov round. Fatter than a 9x19.

As far as ammunition goes, I've been impressed with the reviews I've seen on Underwood Ammunition. As proven by chronograph tests, its velocities are almost always true to what it's advertised as being. I plan on ordering some of his ammunition soon.

He has a couple of loads for the Mak, including a Hornady XTP +P @ 1200 FPS. Here's a good video review of that ammo, with chronograph test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WA_xpdT-zaU

He also has a heavy-for-caliber 115-gr. hard-cast bullet load @ 1000 FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back