New Briggs oiling schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait to see the result of this.

EXi is Briggs & Stratton’s new durable and reliable engine platform that will become standard across all OEM partners and mower lines, phasing out the current Quantum engine over the next couple of years. EXi is the first walk-behind lawn mower engine that will never need an oil change—ever. The engine, launching in early 2015, is made in the USA of U.S. and global parts at Briggs & Stratton’s Poplar Bluff, Missouri plant.

http://www.basco.com/Newsroom/%7B809FB5D7-88BB-403F-85DD-E8239B396DE0%7D/

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I think changing my lawnmower oil is fun.

I agree... If I ever purchase one.. I'll buck the system and change it , out of spite.
grin.gif

Ford approached Castrol in the 60s when they were planning a "disposable" car, with the question of could they supply an engine oil that would last 25,000 miles.

They offered that for a one off, single use lifetime, that their oils at the time would satisfy that criteria.

Depends on what Briggs considers the lifetime of a mower to be, and whether their customers agree with them.

Well, they say check and add. Say that they make it run cooler and to induce less combustion dirt in the oil, it would be a good thing.
If then they design it to, controlled, burn miniscule amounts of oil and people actually add new oil, I would then call it a fair idea. Kind of like how some people get by with their old ope...
The Briggs COE, "continuos oil change engine".

If there is no way to add oil, I bet they will see a lot of failures (after warranty I'm sure). Small engines tend to use a bit of oil when they get used hard.

Then again who knows, I've seen 10 year old mowers with the factory fill in them still.

"Lifetime fill" is one thing, but if they take away the ability to add oil, well that is another. My dad never changed the oil in his Murray push mower in the 18 years he had it, but he did add oil when it got low.

Originally Posted By: lars11
no that's just it, they want the owners to "check and add".

Well if there is a place to add oil, then there is a place to drain it.
grin.gif
Although it may require tipping the whole machine over, or a suction pump on larger machines.

This announcement sums up the typical lazy American consumer, in a nutshell. 90% of people already don't change their lawnmower oil. This is just marketing to those lazy people. Of course you don't have to change the oil - it will last the life of the engine (which isn't very long) The low quality consumer mowers made today will likely break long before the engine does anyways, and then Joe Uninformed Consumer goes a buys another new Troy Bilt piece of junk at the Home depot.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
This announcement sums up the typical lazy American consumer, in a nutshell. 90% of people already don't change their lawnmower oil. This is just marketing to those lazy people. Of course you don't have to change the oil - it will last the life of the engine (which isn't very long) The low quality consumer mowers made today will likely break long before the engine does anyways, and then Joe Uninformed Consumer goes a buys another new Troy Bilt piece of junk at the Home depot.

Does it say anywhere about an some sort of internal filter? If it did have an internal filter I would suspect that would be non-servicable. Either way, Bubbatime is probably spot on. Heck, dont change the oil, just buy a another mower after a few years anyway. Throw-a-way society...

bubbatime: "This announcement sums up the typical lazy American consumer ... This is just marketing to those lazy people ... The low quality consumer mowers made today will likely break, long before the engine does anyways, and then Joe Uninformed Consumer goes a buys another new Troy Bilt piece of junk at the Home Depot."

And our over-filling landfills take another one for the team.
frown.gif

Each year I find 2-3 vacuum cleaners that owners abandon by our dumpsters. What's wrong with them? They are clogged because the dingbat owner can't even slide out the plastic piece marked "FILTER" and wash out the sponge it holds. Solution? throw out the machine and get a new one.

Result? My friends and family have LOTS of like-new vacuum cleaners.
wink.gif

jeepman3071: "Well if there is a place to add oil, then there is a place to drain it. Although it may require tipping the whole machine over, or a suction pump on larger machines."

Bingo. Thinking adults have our work around.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back