Thinking about a new 1.0L Ecoboost Fiesta

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are looking for a light car to tow behind an RV. The fiesta seems to be a good choice, but what do you think about the 1.0 ecoboost? It only comes with a stick which is good for towing and lower price for stick offsets the automatic premium visa the ecoboost premium. Very hard to otherwise get a non-STI stick.

I know the difference between 37 and 43 mpg is not that great, but it adds a little bit to my pleasure.

But please feel free to talk me out of the ecoboost. Will it have a shorter life and expensive repairs?

And how much of a discount should I get? Everything I see on the internet is about 12% off MSRP for the fiesta.

Anything to get you away from the DCT auto they use.... lol. My friend has the DCT in her 14 Focus and it's terrible. The dealer can't seem to straighten it out.

I say, go for it.

The thing that scares me is timing belt and belt driven oil pump. It's a popular engine in Europe ... seems like we would have heard about it if it hadoesn't a lot of problems.

I have been looking at is as well.

Like any GTDI engine, if you drive it hard ato low RPM it is going to have to overfuel to avoid detonation. Drive it lightly and it will get great mileage

it's a TINY 3 cyl engine.

the block's Footprint fits on a sheet of A4 paper. the whole engine fits in an overhead luggage compartment.
yet it still makes the same power as the NA 2.0l in my old neon, with significantly better fuel economy.

Only downside I can think of......its going to be way to much fun to drive. The best part of vacation might be shifting and slicing around in your Fiesta..... and if you dislike it, then you can give it to me!!

I drive a lot of rental-Fiestas, even with the automatic they are real fun boxes, stable at the limit when driven hard, tossable without any twitchyness, certainly would be a good rallye car.
The stick shift would be frosting on the cake!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
80% torque at 1500rpm. 100% as 2500rpm ... that would be ultra driveable

+1

OT:
Quote:
We are looking for a light car to tow behind an RV.

How does the warranty work on that? Do you pick up the front wheels or just do a 32K OCI?

Ford's had several years to "straighten out" that DCT transmission. They're still terrible and would prevent me from buying a Focus/Fiesta with one (granted not available in the 1.0L Fiesta). The Fiesta is a fun car if you NEVER need to use the rear seat...try sitting back there...absolutely NO legroom. Ford can do better.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT:
Quote:

How does the warranty work on that? Do you pick up the front wheels or just do a 32K OCI?

With a manual transmission, it can be towed 4 down with no problem

I understand that they are a hoot to drive. I'd get the 7 year 100k warranty, $50 deductible extended factory warranty from floodford.com. since its a 3 cylinder engine I would get the one that covers the motor mounts, the "extra care" policy.

Go for it! For a tiny car to tow behind a RV for city exploring and general running about, the Ecoboost Fiesta should fit the bill fine.

I'd run a full synthetic oil in it. The modern turbo cars that seem to have issues are generally the ones that follow the OLM on the syn-blend oils. The ones that use even off-the-shelf syn oils seem to have fewer issues with PCV systems and turbos.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
OT:
Quote:

My understanding is modern cars don't record the mileage if the ignition is not on.

I love the EB engines. Full power at any altitude and excellent economy when driven responsibly. The Fiesta however, is quite small yet comfortable in the front seats. Might make the perfect RV car.

The 1.0 is not available in a hatchback... corect... ?? if you are towing behind an RV... you are not using the backseat for nothing more than groceries... Sounds like a blast that could be very popular in the future... pull the trigger and put it down...
I myself would take a look at the lectric focus... they just dropped the price another 4000$... you would be the talk of the campground...

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
The 1.0 is not available in a hatchback... corect... ?? if you are towing behind an RV... you are not using the backseat for nothing more than groceries... Sounds like a blast that could be very popular in the future... pull the trigger and put it down...
I myself would take a look at the lectric focus... they just dropped the price another 4000$... you would be the talk of the campground...

You can get the 1.0 EB in sedan or hatch trims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back