Does anyone make a quality battery anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart EverStart Maxx batteries are always excellent and very economical. If you have a Walmart nearby and has the EverStart Maxx for your battery size, there is no reason to look around for something else.

If you want something better, then you will have to go with an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery.

Note that no conventional lead - acid battery will survive a full drain, as crystals will form, but an AGM battery will.

With all the freshness talk: I was surprised when it took more than 5 hours to top off an Evermaxx battery from Walmart. Bought on Oct 14 with 14/10 sticker. So, assume things may have changed and make sure you install a charged one.

On the dealer side my observations are following: Lexus battery did not last half-way of its 74 month warranty, its replacement fared just a tad better. Ford Tough Maxx has been wonderful to us so far

Odyssey batteries are top notch units as well. Best AGM battery. Period. Diehard Platinums are rebranded odyssey.

If kept from getting too warm, they will last 10 years sometimes, along with the pre 2008 optimas, which i have a few from 2007 year that are still cranking hard with lots of reserve.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Who sells East Penn/Deka batteries? I've never heard of them before.

Like any other big company they also sell a lot of rebadged house brands.

I believe they still make batteries for Carquest and Mills Fleet Farm

East Penn / Deka makes batteries for a broad selection of customer labels. They make batteries for Caterpillar. I have hauled a lot of EP Deka batteries to Cat. I was at the Corydon, IA plant one day and they were putting out batteries for O'Reilly while I was there under the O'Reilly label. Not sure if all O'Reilly batteries are EPD, but those 12v auto batteries were.

I really like their batteries, but lately I have been using Alliance brand batteries in my semi trucks. Those are JCI made batteries and do a great job and very cost effective.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The vehicle in question is my 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L.

When I bought the Jeep 5 years ago, it had an Exide battery in it. I had that battery for a few years, and it started leaking acid onto the garage floor. This was disappointing, but it was 4 years old judging by the date on the sticker, so I had gotten a decent life out of it. Despite leaking acid it still started the Jeep.

I have some off road lights tied into my high beams, so I went for an Optima yellow top thinking I would be buying a better product. As we all know, Optima's quality has tanked, and the battery lasted almost exactly 1 year before it stranded me without warning.

I went back to Autozone with the battery, and it tested as having a bad cell. They didn't have any Yellow tops in stock that fit my vehicle. They gave me a Duralast Gold along with an Autozone credit for the price difference. I was satisfied with this since at the time I was late for work and didn't feel like making my friend drive me to 10 different Autozones all over the state.

Fast forward about 10 months and the battery is showing signs of reduced power. It cranks, but very slowly. I have a load tester and the battery tested weak. I can charge it, and it will be fine for a day but then slowly lose power again. I'm waiting for the day when it won't crank at all. Advance Auto also tested the battery and said it was weak, but my alternator was fine. Autozone tested it and said the battery wasn't below a certain voltage so they wouldn't replace it.
mad.gif

All the batteries around here are Sears, Advance Auto, Wal-Mart, and Napa. I think most are made my Johnson Controls.

I'd like to find an Interstate, since the lawn and garden Interstate in my John Deere is 8 years old and still cranks like it is brand new in the middle of winter. I can't seem to find anyone who sells Interstates around here except for the lawn batteries at Home Depot.

Personally I'd go for a Sears battery myself. They've always been pretty good in the past.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
Personally I'd go for a Sears battery myself. They've always been pretty good in the past.

Durango

Not me. As I mentioned in another thread, a 2 1/2 year old Diehard died hard in my daughter's Camry. The original battery was still starting the car at 7 1/2 years. The diehard didn't make 3 years. The car gets driven about 90 miles a day on the freeway and the battery has never been discharged.
I have a family member that works for Sears, and I have always tried to support them, but their quality has just gone too far downhill over the past few years for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back