Rental car for cheap in boston, MA mid May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hotwire seems reasonable. The other one I saw was 40$ day for an econo box. A mid size car would be preferred. Me and my mom and Dad. Not a ton of luggage. Do rental car prices vary like plane tickets?

$25 95

per day

$133.21 total*
Standard Ford Fusion
Ford Fusion or similar** Unlimited miles
24-35 miles per gallon

check against AAA or AARP discounts if you have them. Sometimes they can come in cheaper. The $26 per day is not bad, though.

My wife got us a mini-van in California cheaper through Thrifty on line, for a November trip. Prices seem to vary a lot, so some level of shopping around is prudent.

Google 'Cheap car rental Boston' and try a few brokers like Priceline, Ecconomy car rental, Kyak etc.

Many offer lowest price guarantee, so play one against the other and ask for an upgrade in lieu of a price match.

We have always had great service from Enterprise.

ENJOY your time in Boston, it is a great city! They have outstanding restaurants and historical sights to see.

Actually we are going to Portland, Maine. Cheaper to fly in there than in Portland. This is for my daughter's graduation. She will graduate at the University of New England, with a Physical therapy degree.

The first quote I got was for an economy car for 40$ +. That did not seem reasonable. I'm going to have to flush out the best deal.
Is there any advantage to getting things locked in ahead of time?

Just a note that if you don't rent the car at the airport, it's about $10 cheaper as they have a tax on cars rented just at the airport. Not sure if it's really worth it to hop on a train and get a car somewhere else in the city unless you're planning on sight seeing in Boston anyway. There's also a train that goes to Portland. There's also places like relayrides that let you rent cars from locals.

I travel once a month. I am good at this now.

Get a baseline on carrentals.com

See which companies are offering deals.

Then go to the flyertalk forum in the car rental section, and see if there are any codes that you can use to get the price down.

Be careful, some codes are for employees of certain companies only, and you will get to the counter and they will want ID documenting that you work there.

Others are good for everyone.

Also double check with hotwire rates.

Then look at better bidding, and see what people have scored on priceline doing the car rental bid thing.

Yes, I have rented standard cars in Los Angeles for 9 dollars per day. Same deal with Vegas.

Don't know about Boston, never rented there.

I know that in Phoenix, they have the highest taxes on rental cars in the nation. The trick there is to take a cab to an off airport location, and rent there, then return the car at the airport.

I have saved 200 bucks a week taking a 5 minute cab ride from Sky Harbor.

For my next trip, Buffalo, New York I have to rent at the airport. I still scored 68 dollars all taxes included for 3 days. Economy car.

I buy primary coverage insurance from American Express for $19.99 for the whole trip, on every trip.

Don't pay 15 dollars per day for insurance, and don't use your own car insurance, unless you want to pay full deducible and loss of use if anything happens.

20 bucks to Amex for primary insurance is worth it.

I travel several times a month. Was in Boston last weekend for the Head of the Charles, and to visit my son, who's in College there...

Boston Logan will have expensive rates regardless of the time of year. If you're staying in Metro Boston, you can get by without a car. Generally, it's gojng to cost you about $35/day to park in Boston, so consider using the T if you can.

What airport are you flying into? Where do you intend to stay?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH

I buy primary coverage insurance from American Express for $19.99 for the whole trip, on every trip.

Don't pay 15 dollars per day for insurance, and don't use your own car insurance, unless you want to pay full deducible and loss of use if anything happens.

20 bucks to Amex for primary insurance is worth it.

I never used to get the insurance. My car was in the shop because some chick pulled out of parking lot not looking, crossed 2 lanes of traffic and hit my rear door. Car rental was covered by her insurance. I paid $7/day for their full coverage (enterprise) since I would only have it 1 week. Next morning going camping with my son, some lady decided she missed her turn for sports so made a U-turn right in front of me, no warning. Doing 50mph with no time/space to avoid. Totaled her Accord, The Sedona minivan I had was really mangled.

Signed the papers and 1 hour later I had a new rental car delivered to me.

I don't take out any extra insurance for a rental.

Most regular credit cards cover you for anything your primary insurance doesn't.

I had to get the insurances...nothing Oz would cover them.

When I dropped off the Maxima at SFO, there was a young guy walking past each of the counters, not waiting in queue, asking "what's your cheapest ?"

Guy at Alamo said $27, but get in line, and we'll talk.

He served me, and I asked what he meant.

He stated that every car gets dropped off at SFO, and if you are prepared to take whatever car you can get on the day, and promise to drop it off somewhere else (like S proper), they could do it much much cheaper, as they ultimately have to move some back around.

Copenhagen Kastrup Airport typically has a $100 Airport surcharge
shocked2.gif

The broker I used quoted an All In prices. It was a Huge saving.

Typically booking ahead will save you some. If you know it's a good price, go for it!

Also check your credit card for a CDW and check that it will apply to the type of car you want to rent.

Before you book, look into flying into Manchester Airport in New Hampshire. Flights might be cheaper, rental cars certainly will be, and bonus: it's most of 80 miles closer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back