Time for OEM battery change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a LOT of battery questions today.
My 2011 Camry has the original battery in it so that means it is 3-4 years old. Winter is coming and we get cold here in KC. The car also see's short trips to the bus stop about 2 miles. That means heavy load with defrost, heated bun warmers etc.
I am thinking it may be wise to change it just to be sure. What you say?

Usual suspects are OEM again Interstate etc. AFAIK they are Johnson's ans are the same.

depends on various factors, such as: how much parasitic current draw you have on your battery, what sort of fancy gadgets you have that will impose lots of draw, how frequent your battery gets run down (habitual deep battery cycling on automotive starting battery will drastically shorten it's service life); how hot the operational(ambient) temperature is, etc.

battery in Arizona cars lasts less than those up north, while up north during winter time and sub-freezing temp, a partially discharged automotive battery may freeze and crack (spill acid electrolyte) if not fully recharged immediately afterwards.

Q.

Just replaced an OEM toyota battery in the matrix which has a build date of 2007.

I figure 7 years of good service is enough.

Also the new battery was 75 dollars at advance after their big coupon. I think 75 dollars is worth piece of mind and not having my wife get stuck somewhere in South Austin.

I went with their silver line of battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

I say: rather than throw money at parts you may not need, check the battery's state-of-charge first. It's easy, and requires no more than an inexpensive digital multimeter.

Key OUT, engine OFF,
1) turn headlights on and wait 10 minutes
2) turn headlights off again, and wait another 10 minutes
3) touch DVOM to the battery terminals and read the DC voltage.

Now go to: Bill Darden's famous Battery FAQ and locate this link: Temperature Compensated Battery State-of-Charge (SoC) Tables .

Go read the thermometer outside your kitchen window, then use the table to find out if your battery is reading the voltage that it should. If it is, then just leave the battery alone; it will survive the winter just fine.

Thanks all. yeah the wife drive it. I have not yet had it tested. I need to do that.
This is a XLE so it has all the toys on it.

On the wife's car, I make sure she has a good battery that wont leave her stranded. On my two cars, I use the battery until it gives up the ghost. I have a spare vehicle so I can use the other one if a battery dies. I also keep good heavy jumper cables in the trunk of each car.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

I say: rather than throw money at parts you may not need, check the battery's state-of-charge first. It's easy, and requires no more than an inexpensive digital multimeter.

Key OUT, engine OFF,
1) turn headlights on and wait 10 minutes
2) turn headlights off again, and wait another 10 minutes
3) touch DVOM to the battery terminals and read the DC voltage.

Now go to: Bill Darden's famous Battery FAQ and locate this link: Temperature Compensated Battery State-of-Charge (SoC) Tables .

Go read the thermometer outside your kitchen window, then use the table to find out if your battery is reading the voltage that it should. If it is, then just leave the battery alone; it will survive the winter just fine.

Thanks will try that!

Last edited:
Don't replace it unnecessarily, oem batteries tend to last twice at long as aftermarket. Just stay prepared if you do have to replace it like having a jump boxoor jumper cables.

Did you see my noco genius boost review?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Don't replace it unnecessarily, oem batteries tend to last twice at long as aftermarket. Just stay prepared if you do have to replace it like having a jump boxoor jumper cables.

Sure did not. I will try a test and see what it says. Changing a battery at 0 is no fun. LOL

All the batteries I've used have gotten 5-7 years on them. This is in eastern Georgia where we get some pretty cold winters and hot summers, not as bad as further north/south though. I'd definitely follow the above suggestions and this:

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
On the wife's car, I make sure she has a good battery that wont leave her stranded. On my two cars, I use the battery until it gives up the ghost.

Always keep the Lady's car running well
cool.gif

4 years is for old technology. Modern batteries seem to last 5 to 7 years. My record is 8 and 12 years for batteries.

Got a solid ~8 years from our OE (Spanish!) M-B battery.

Little economic rationale to replace a 'good' battery before its service life has ended imho.

Flip side is Murphy's Law dictates that it will leave you and yours stranded at the most inopportune and inconvenient time possible.
In the dead of winter. At night. When your passenger needs to pee.
smile.gif

AAA and a cell phone to the rescue!

W203OEBattery.jpg

Surprisingly, the OEM Panasonic (AGM?) battery from my '05 xB lives on in my brother's old Tercel-AAP had tested it & said it only had around 350 CCA, but it hasn't failed to start the old 3E 1.5L yet, & it'll be 10 years old in February next year.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Sure did not. I will try a test and see what it says. Changing a battery at 0 is no fun. LOL

Here's my first test with no battery at all.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3520323/1

I just tested it again with the battery after i killed it to 10 volts overnight with the key on and resting voltage was still 10.0v. I will be posting that one tonight after i wait for the epic youtube upload times even with high speed cable.

2007 Corolla, 120k miles, still has the OEM battery and works great. This OEM battery has a Johnson Controls label on it, as does my Sienna battery.

Like others on here, I am often getting up to 10 years on my batteries. The manufacturers claim that auto starting batteries (which are not deep discharge batteries) have a greatly shortened life if you ever run them down completely.....do it 7 times and a brand new battery will be under 50 percent capacity even if nearly new, and now unlikely to last even one year.

Since their advice is based on actual empirical data, I am careful to not leave things on that might run them down.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I have 11.5 years and 350K on my factory battery.

Wow !! How in the world have you managed that...? I've been lucky to get 5-6 yrs max. Regardless of brands.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
simple_gifts said:
Wow !! How in the world have you managed that...? I've been lucky to get 5-6 yrs max. Regardless of brands.

Because simple_gifts is in CT, while you are in TX. Heat kills batteries. CT is colder than TX.

I have also got 11 years out of a battery -- an OEM Panasonic -- and about 9 years out of an Interstate MT25.
That's due to two things:
1) I never cracked the case/post seal through overtightening, and
2) Canada is even colder than CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back