Bought the wrong oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I was at Walmart the other day purchasing oil for my 2000 lexus es300. I picked up a jug of mobile 1 hm 5w30 and what i thought to be a fram ultra oil filter. When i got home i noticed that i grabbed a fram high mileage filter insead of the fram ultra. I can go back and return the filter or i can use it. I havent read anything on the hm filter. Are these filters ok to use? thanks.

Ok for an up to ~6k mile oci imo. HM not an extended oci filter like FU if that's what you intended it for. It's an orange can with an oil conditioner basket in the centertube.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Ok for an up to ~6k mile oci imo. HM not an extended oci filter like FU if that's what you intended it for. It's an orange can with and oil conditioner basket in the centertube.

I might have misread your statement but the Fram Ultras rated at 15k miles.

Apparently I did.

Last edited:
Nothing but the basic Fram orange filter with a time release "high mileage" additive gel and a huge price increase.

The Ultra is a much better filter.

The High Mileage filter is the exact same thing as the Extra Guard orange can but with the time release additive to help keep the pH balanced over the life of the filter.

The additive technology is used widely in the over the road trucking business in their TRT HD filters and in some cases doubles oil change intervals over a standard HD filter.

You can see this short video about the TRT filters. They use the same additives that the TRT does, but the high mileage filter is still an orange can internals.

Fram TRT HD Filter video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMvuKqYMNdg

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The High Mileage filter is the exact same thing as the Extra Guard orange can but with the time release additive to help keep the pH balanced over the life of the filter.

The additive technology is used widely in the over the road trucking business in their TRT HD filters and in some cases doubles oil change intervals over a standard HD filter.

You can see this short video about the TRT filters. They use the same additives that the TRT does, but the high mileage filter is still an orange can internals.

Fram TRT HD Filter video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMvuKqYMNdg

This clarifies alot, thank you.

i think ill just return this and grab the ultra. I usually run mobile 1 filters from autozone but i was at walmart and all they has was purolator, bosch, or fram. I used the bosch before and from what i read on here they are great filters. This time i wanted to try the fram ultras that everyone seems to like.

My Wal-Mart is the same way. Either they have a boatload or they're out of stock. Of course I was there last Friday and they had both filters for both cars in my signature but when I need them they'll be out of stock. Smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back