Air Filtration - Lawn Mower Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I would like to get as much feedback and wisdom on the air filtration systems on the following lawn mower engines. The pros,and the cons. A head to head challenge, if you will.

1 - Briggs and Stratton Cyclonic Engines

2 - Kawasaki FX series engines.

From my experience, the oiled sponge filters clean the air the best. I'm basing that off how clean the oil stays. Those pleated paper filters don't do anywhere near as good of a job keeping the oil clean. If they offer an optional foam pre-cleaner filter that goes on top of the pleated paper filter, get one. Take note that the pre-cleaner foam filters are not supposed to be oiled.

I use an auto type paper filter as supplied by B&S for their 20 HP twin. The filter gets changes very 50 running hours as recommended. The outside of the filter is dirty looking when I change it and the downside of the filter is very clean. I think therefor it is doing the job intended. Ed

With all due respect, it doesn't sound like we are staying on topic regarding the air filtration systems of the following two engines.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I would like to get as much feedback and wisdom on the air filtration systems on the following lawn mower engines. The pros,and the cons. A head to head challenge, if you will.

1 - Briggs and Stratton Cyclonic Engines

2 - Kawasaki FX series engines.

Walk behind mower or riding mower?

Walk behind mowers with engines low to the ground benefit from oiled foam more so than a riding mower.

My preference is oiled foam for walk behind machines and whatever for riding mowers although, I'd lean toward oiled foam there too. The main reason is that as machines age, paper element filters get harder to find. Not impossible, just harder. Whereas a foam filter, if properly maintained and not abused will usually last the life of the machine.

Which leads us to another aspect - maintenance. If you don't like to get your hands dirty and don't mind shelling out ten to fifteen dollars per filter, go for paper element filters.

A tip for those who prefer oiled filters. You can reduce the amount of exposure to oil if you put the cleaned filter in a zip lock plastic bag, add the oil, close the bag and distribute the oil into the foam by squeezing the bag. Don't add too much oil. A teaspoonful for a small filter and maybe a tablespoon for larger filters. I used to keep a spare foam filter ready to go in a plastic bag so that I could soak the dirty filter in varsol for a few minutes and clean it at my leisure.

what do you think of snowblowers, they often do not have any filters. Sure, winters are less dusty but are they dust free? Any thoughts?
Would it be smart to add a ring shaped oiled foam to the old tecumseh 50HS? Or just waste of time and perhaps power?

Originally Posted By: lars11
what do you think of snowblowers, they often do not have any filters. Sure, winters are less dusty but are they dust free? Any thoughts?
Would it be smart to add a ring shaped oiled foam to the old tecumseh 50HS? Or just waste of time and perhaps power?

I read in a service manual that snow blowers don't have air filters because they are likely to freeze and block the air flow. I believe snow blowers also have a hot air box to warm the air going in. Experiment and try it and see how it works.

Whimsey

Winter conditions don't carry anywhere near as much particulate in the air. No pollen, very little dust. Possibly some salt/winter control dust that can be readily avoided. In all of my years, I've never had a snow blower chassis outlive the engine. Three two stage snow blowers, two had cracked chassis components and the last one, the Simplicity is still like new. The old Tecumseh flat heads on the other two machines were still relatively fresh and are still living on in other devices. So, don't worry about dust in winter. And Whimsey is right. Air filters on snow equipment will lead to problems.

People put a lot of time and experimentation to make these engines run right in winter. No need to second guess them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back