Pocket Pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, as I mentioned, I shot a used Kahr PM9 at a gun shop, and loved it. Very natural-pointing pistol, and I was very accurate with it immediately. Recoil wasn't an issue for me. Of course it did not malfunction.

I've found that people "create their own luck" with machines... How you treat it, as well as using the proper ammo, cleaning and lubing, etc. goes a long way towards function.

I'll eventually buy one, shoot the recommended amount of rounds through it, etc. and see how I personally like it. I will post my impressions here, whether positive or negative.

I don't listen much to people's opinions in subjective matters... I prefer to do my own evaluation. I've had many cases where people told me not to buy something, I did, and I found that their impressions didn't apply for me... Take the HiPower for example. Everyone said it would hammerbite the heck out of your hand... I've already fired hundreds of rounds thru it and it hasn't happened once.

45/410

20140412_143908_zps5ec1f6df.jpg

I have had a Kahr PM9 since they first came out and is is surprising accurate. I have also tried at the range an XDS which was unimpressive and a S@W Shield which if I were into buy a gun a month type I would have bought the shield . The shield is really easy to shoot plenty accurate and has a low recoil feel. If I were in the market the Shield is what I would buy. But then this is just my opinion and like shoes its what ever is most comfortable to the wearer.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
My 642 pocket pistol. I just don't trust small semiautos . Besides revolvers are way cool

I like it.

I'm also going to have to do some research on the Kimber Solo Carry.

I compared it side-by-side with the Kahr PM-9 and it's almost exactly the same size, if not slightly smaller.

I use a Ruger LC9. Fractionally larger than the LCP, 9mm rounds are everywhere. The looong trigger pull reduces the chance of a negligent discharge, while not being too heavy. Accurate pistol, even with full power defensive ammo. Nary a hiccup, mixed FMJ practice rounds and HP, 115 and 124 grain bullets. Just keep it cleaned and lube sparingly.
As to a revolver, the SP-101 should be considered for carry in .357 with a 2 inch barrel. Load heavy 158 grain SWC to .38+p and you have good penetration without the "Magnum" experience.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Do you like pocket pistols? Do you own one? What do you have? Do you like it? What have you had in the past that you liked or disliked?

I have a Glock 36, which is fine for in the back of my waistband, but I'm thinking about a pocket pistol as another - and maybe my primary - option.

I like the convenience...I always carry my iPhone in my left pocket, and usually only my keys in my right pocket. So, a pocket pistol would be perfect for my right pocket...especially in the summer when I'm wearing shorts a lot. (I can carry my keys on a carabiner from a belt loop.)

I also like the "instant draw" capability of a pocket pistol. I can have my hands unassumingly in my pockets, and, God forbid, if the need arises, I can almost instantly draw and fire.

Here are some pocket pistols that have been on my mind. I've pretty much decided to go with a 9mm, because I think it's a good compromise between power and weight. Some of you may not mind something heavier:

- Kahr PM9/CM9

- Kimber Solo

- Sig P938

- Diamondback (don't know anything about this one; just saw the dimensions and it's very compact)

I didn't include S&W or Ruger above because I've heard that the Smiths have some issues. And I've just never been a fan of Ruger automatics. Please chime in if any of you have experience with them, and if you know of other good pocket guns.

I just picked one up 2 yrs ago or so (Ruger LCP), to carry on specific occasions (my normal carry is a GLOCK 30), I will be replacing it with a GLOCK 42 (380) after X-mas. I should have known better than to carry something other than one of my GLOCKs, but since I did not rely on my first instincts I am now the owner of a small POS ! I have ZERO tolerance for a defense weapon that requires oil on a bi-weekly basis to prevent rust...... Based on that alone I'm done with this thing in a few months. Ruger cant master the finish of a gun, who knows how well the rest will hold up ! I initially went with the LCP because I get them at dealer cost through my employer.

Well, I was between the Kahr PM9 and the Sig P938, and couldn't decide. I had shot a few rounds out of both, and, one time I shot them back-to-back (I have a great LGS - Guns & Leather).

I was hitting about the same with both pistols when I shot them. Of course, the pistols are very different.

Many people consider the Kahr to be the standard in the pocket pistol category. It's like a little Glock - polymer frame, and striker-fired. It is double-action only, with no external safety, and has a long trigger pull. But the trigger pull is known for being very smooth. Available magazines include a 6-round, the baseplate of which sits semi-flush with the butt, and a 7-round, which is extended. Barrel is 3.1", and sights are dovetail-mounted. Kahr's MSRP is $786, but street prices are quite a bit less.

The Sig, on the other hand, is like a little 1911. It's single-action only, but the trigger pull is a little heavy for a SAO pistol, at 7-8 lbs. It's not bad though. Frame is aluminum alloy, slide is stainless steel. It has an external, ambidextrous safety, which is very positive in operation, compared to, say, my Browning Hi-Power. I think all the 938s come with the SIGLITE night sights. Comes with one 6-round magazine, the baseplate of which is flush with the butt of the gun. An extended 7-round mag is also available. Barrel is 3". Sig's MSRP is $805, but, again, you can get them for significantly less.

Both pistols are about the same size. The Kahr is 5.4" overall length, while the Sig-Sauer comes in about .5" longer. They're both about 4" tall, and about 1" wide. They're also the same weight - about 14 oz. without magazine, and about a pound with mag installed.

After looking at both pistols, I decided that I didn't want to go larger in dimensions than these, which limited my choices to, pretty much, these 2, plus the Kimber Solo, which is also about the same size as these.

I looked at the Kimber and really liked it, but ended up dismissing it from consideration because of poor reliability reviews, finicky ammo requirements, and reports of really snappy recoil. I will say, there are also many people out there who own the Solo and have NOT had problems, and love it.

I briefly considered a Kel-Tec, but reliability reviews are spotty, and it's a little bit longer than the previous 3 I mentioned. It is, however, thinner than any of the above. And a lot of people really like them. It's also ugly and cheap-looking, and aesthetics are important to me.

Both the Sig and the Kahr are really sweet shooters with regular range ammunition (I have not fired any hotter loads from either). They both do a good job of damping recoil.

Ultimately, I couldn't decide, and when I noticed a brand-new P938 "SAS" on Gun Broker for $589, I went ahead and ordered it. The SAS is the Sig Custom Shop version, and is the only sub-model that goes through their de-horning process to remove edges from the slide and frame. It also has Goncalo wood grips and SIGLITE night sights.

Pistol got here yesterday, and I disassembled it for inspection. Had some fresh grease in all the right areas (pistol was built last month), and wasn't too dirty from the factory test-firing, so I didn't clean or lube it much except for just wiping down with a light coating of oil, and a couple of drops in the frame rails. I'm told that disassembly and re-assembly is 1911-ish. I don't know, as I've never owned a 1911. It's pretty simple, though not as simple as my Browning Hi-Power. The recoil spring is not captured, and it can be a booger to get back in.

Took to the range today and shot about 60 rounds of WWB 115 with no malfunctions or problems. Every time I would load a magazine, I would chamber a round, eject the mag, and top off the magazine, because this is how I'll be carrying the pistol, and I wanted to be sure it would not have a problem cycling when topped off. I have read that some small pistols have a problem with this...though I forget which ones right now.

I seemed to have been hitting a bit to the right... Whether the sights are off or I am pulling to the right, I don't know... It's going to take more evaluation.
smile.gif
I'm looking forward to going back to the range tomorrow and practicing some more.

The pistol came with a plastic holster for belt carry, but I'll mostly be using it with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Here are some pics:

Size comparison with 9mm Browning Hi-Power:

Size comparison with some of my other pistols - clockwise, from left, Model 20, 938, Model 36, Model 686+ (5"), Browning Hi-Power

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Looks great. I just ordered a P938 to go with my P238 380. I've been thinking for a while.

Cool! How long have you had the 238?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I like SS revolvers. Nice collection.

Thanks!

I have had my LC9 for two years now, and I don't understand what has rusted on your Ruger LCP. The slide on mine is a black finish, the barrel is stainless (I believe), and the frame is polymer. I'm asking so that I can inspect my gun more carefully and find this rusting issue, then have Ruger fix it for me; just as they did within 2 weeks total for my SR40C. Never had an issue with the 10/22, so I don't know how that would go, but I suspect just as well.
I am very partial to Ruger products as I have found them to be well engineered, well made, and at a price I feel is fair. If you're within SE Pa commuting area and you REALLY want to rid yourself of that Ruger, PM me.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
I use a Ruger LC9. Fractionally larger than the LCP, 9mm rounds are everywhere. The looong trigger pull reduces the chance of a negligent discharge, while not being too heavy. Accurate pistol, even with full power defensive ammo. Nary a hiccup, mixed FMJ practice rounds and HP, 115 and 124 grain bullets. Just keep it cleaned and lube sparingly.
As to a revolver, the SP-101 should be considered for carry in .357 with a 2 inch barrel. Load heavy 158 grain SWC to .38+p and you have good penetration without the "Magnum" experience.

You seen the LC9S? New striker-fired version that doesn't have the long, universally-hated trigger pull of the hammer-fired version.

I'll eventually get a snubnose revolver for one of my CCW options.

I have had my LC9 for two years now, and I don't understand what has rusted on your Ruger LCP. The slide on mine is a black finish, the barrel is stainless (I believe), and the frame is polymer. I'm asking so that I can inspect my gun more carefully and find this rusting issue, then have Ruger fix it for me...

I don't own one, but I've heard others complain that the entire slide is prone to rust when carried often. A picture posted on another forum showed rust on both sides of the slide. That picture has kept me away from.

You seen the LC9S? New striker-fired version that doesn't have the long, universally-hated trigger pull of the hammer-fired version.

If we're talking slightly larger than pocket guns, there are a ton of excellent choices. My holster carry is an M&P Shield 9. I've had it for about 6 months and really enjoy shooting it. I think the LC9S had just come out when I bought my Shield. I generally like Ruger products...I started with a 22/45 Lite that I sold. Fun to shoot...not fun to take down and clean.

Cool part about the Shield is the frame is polymer and the slide and barrel are stainless. The only possible point of rust (and it does happen every now and again) is the magazine catch...it's steel.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

If we're talking slightly larger than pocket guns, there are a ton of excellent choices. My holster carry is an M&P Shield 9. I've had it for about 6 months and really enjoy shooting it. I think the LC9S had just come out when I bought my Shield. I generally like Ruger products...I started with a 22/45 Lite that I sold. Fun to shoot...not fun to take down and clean.

Cool part about the Shield is the frame is polymer and the slide and barrel are stainless. The only possible point of rust (and it does happen every now and again) is the magazine catch...it's steel.

I've heard other people say the Ruger .22s are a pain to disassemble and clean, too.

Anything on the Ruger Mark "chassis" is difficult to work with. There are aftermarket solutions that make it easier, though. I disabled the magazine safety on mine, but that's about all I did before I sold it.

I have had my LC9 for two years now, and I don't understand what has rusted on your Ruger LCP. The slide on mine is a black finish, the barrel is stainless (I believe), and the frame is polymer. I'm asking so that I can inspect my gun more carefully and find this rusting issue, then have Ruger fix it for me; just as they did within 2 weeks total for my SR40C. Never had an issue with the 10/22, so I don't know how that would go, but I suspect just as well.
I am very partial to Ruger products as I have found them to be well engineered, well made, and at a price I feel is fair. If you're within SE Pa commuting area and you REALLY want to rid yourself of that Ruger, PM me.

Sorry I have not checked in for a while.....
My 380 has rust spots that appear bi-weekly (if not oiled) where the holster touches it on the sides of the slide on the muzzle end. It's not damaging rust since I keep up with it, but I'v carried for many years and NEVER had to worry or even think about any of my GLOCK's rusting or the SS S&W I carried for 2 years.
I have several 10/22's and they seam equal to any othe rifle I own (other than my AK) in terms of rust, they must be oiled once a year, outside of normal handling. I love Ruger as well, just not for carry. I have a few 10/22's all modified to some level, Mini 14, (previously) Mini 30 and a MARK (2 or 3) 22 pistol. MARK pistol's are the most accurate pistol I have ever shot in my life !

Originally Posted By: wsar10

Sorry I have not checked in for a while.....
My 380 has rust spots that appear bi-weekly (if not oiled) where the holster touches it on the sides of the slide on the muzzle end. It's not damaging rust since I keep up with it, but I'v carried for many years and NEVER had to worry or even think about any of my GLOCK's rusting or the SS S&W I carried for 2 years.
I have several 10/22's and they seam equal to any othe rifle I own (other than my AK) in terms of rust, they must be oiled once a year, outside of normal handling. I love Ruger as well, just not for carry. I have a few 10/22's all modified to some level, Mini 14, (previously) Mini 30 and a MARK (2 or 3) 22 pistol. MARK pistol's are the most accurate pistol I have ever shot in my life !

Kinda off-topic, but have you had magazine malfunction issues with your Mini-30?

When I bought mine, Ruger was only offering 5-round magazines. Recently I bought a Ruger 20-round magazine, and it doesn't feed worth a dern, especially when loaded to capacity.

I've never had a problem with the 5-round mag that came with the rifle.

I shoot only the Russian steel-cases ammo (Tula, Wolf, etc.). To me, a rifle chambered in 7.62x39 is no good if you can't shoot cheap ammo through it, but, I digress...

Anyway, just wondering if you've had any problem with yours.

BTW, I inspected and cleaned it recently, and the gun wasn't dirty at all.

I currently use a S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 for my EDC. It is new model without inbuilt laser. The BG 380 is hammer fired. It does have a long trigger pull but with some little practice it is very manageable, easy to shoot, and for me it is extremely accurate at 3-7 yards (which I consider max tactical distance for SD situation). If attacker is further away you should be running away or not engaging with a firearm. I have also shoot a Ruger LCP a lot and for me the BG380 is an easier gun to shoot accurately and looks to have a little better build quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back