BATTERY QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 06 buick lacrosse with the original 7 year battery from acdelco...I had the battery tested and it test 470 cca at 59 degrees F...the battery is rated at 690 cca... Now my question is will this make it thru the winter for me in NE pennsylvania.? thanks

probably, but if it does fail it should give you a few days of slow cranking first.. plenty of time to replace.

Replace it! You are on borrowed time already.

A quality JCI made battery from Advance Auto Parts using an online discount code is probably only $75. It will last the next 7 years. Why gamble to save 3 cents a day?

I sold automotive and commercial batteries for 5 years. They don't always give warning. I would much rather replace a battery on my terms that when and where the battery decides to fail.

You have a 2006 car made in 2007?

Your car is likely 8 or 9 years old. I'd change out the battery

I would replace it. I prefer not to put my wife or myself in a position of being stranded because I tried to get another winter out of an already tired battery. Besides, a tired battery will work an alternator harder and has the potential to cause premature failure.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I'm not sure where you picked that up. The original poster has a 2006 model year vehicle with the original 7 year battery in it. The 7 year battery is now somewhere around 7-8 years old.

The last battery that failed on me gave no warning ... one time it started, the next time, nothing when I turned the key.

just ordered a NEW battery from advance auto...with this new coupon code saved 50.00 battery ended up being 90 bucks after core..heres the code for 50 off 125..MISSUL43

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I'm not sure where you picked that up. The original poster has a 2006 model year vehicle with the original 7 year battery in it. The 7 year battery is now somewhere around 7-8 years old.

Sorry I read that wrong, i thought he said he had a 7 year OLD battery.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
The last battery that failed on me gave no warning ... one time it started, the next time, nothing when I turned the key.

I think this can happen anytime with any battery.
The question is: What are the likely consequences if the Battery fails.

For me, I get a jump start and then buy a new battery.
Same for my wife (She has jump started off our Lawn Tractor in the past when she left the headlights on)

In our lives, I can't think of a situation where this would be a Big Deal.

Cars sometimes Break Down! Sometimes a Battery, sometimes a Fuel Pump, whatever.

For us, it has happened VERY seldom, but there are no guarantees in life.

If you used the midtronics tester you should still be good.

It has an infared pickup for battery temp, and compensates for that. The operator is supposed to point it at the battery when running the test, though they can screw that up for positive or negative benefit.

The CCA rating is inferred by the internal resistance and not a direct measurement. To make a battery warranty replaceable it has to be worse than 50 or 60% of its rated CCA.

My gear reduction starter is rated at 1200 watts, which works out to 100 amps at 12V, or, realistically, 150ish amps at the 9 Volts things momentarily dip to. So there's plenty of headroom if the battery is physically intact, no loose/ sulfated plates etc. Those are what strand you as they give no warning.

PS is your battery under the hood or under the rear seat/ trunk? My in laws 01 lesabre went 12 years on its stocker battery under the rear seat where it's safe.

You probably only need 200-300 cranking amps for that engine. It's hard to tell when a battery will fail. Best to just have a set of jumper cables, jump box, or AAA ready.

Make sure to charge the battery fully before putting into service if possible.

My 2004 Saturn ION (original owner) has the battery in the trunk and I'm still rocking the 10+ year old OEM battery... We had a week or two of -20f temps last winter and I had to put a light bulb next to the battery along with a BatteryMINDer trickle charger on it every night to make it through the worst of it. I have been meaning to replace it for the last 3 or 4 years because I've never previously had a battery last more than 4 years but at this point it's become a challenge...

99 Camry 4-cyl
Toyota battery was put in on 1/2012 and is already on the way out. I need to figure out how much pro-rating is going to be worth or I should just purchase a new one myself at Costco or Advance Auto rather than bothering with the Toyota dealer for the replacement. The battery group size is either 24F or 35.

I used my newly acquired PowerProbe3. This car gets over 60 miles on the highway daily and alternator is working fine; so if the battery SOC is not full 100%, it is NOT the fault of the charging system.

All readings taken at approximately 60F temperature
0) Alternator voltage varies between 13.7V - 14.3V PASS
1) Battery resting no-load voltage in the morning 12.2V *FAIL*
2) Cranking voltage drops to 8.9V *FAIL*

Before temperatures start dropping, I need to get a new battery.

I am disappointed that Toyota battery is failing so early even though it has never been abused in any form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back