$20k dollar crew cab 4X4

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can get a brand new crewcab 4x4 ram 1500 with V8 for ~32-33000

financing is under 3% interest..

just go new.

I used to be a ford guy but I really like the new ram 1500.

Last edited:
It's not just trucks, used vehicle prices are through the roof recently. Anything that is late model with lowish miles commands what I consider too high a premium. For what it is worth, I have been looking at a small CUV and after seeing used prices, there is no reason not to go new for $3k more. Especially if you pit dealers against each other here at the end of the year. Negotiate a good deal, get manufacturer cash, and secure a low APR. Then you have a vehicle you can drive forever and know it has been maintained by your own standards.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s,my parents never bought new cars. My dad was always buying at 50k miles and selling before 100k. Used cars were affordable and he worked the system. I have had to change my outlook as some bargains in previous years can no longer be bought at killer deals. If I had a lot of debt I might still hold out for used, but I don't so I don't mind making a payment every month and bolstering my credit score. I know Dave Ramsey would chastise me, but I think it works.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I found this one in Indiana. It's close to meeting my criteria if I could get it OTD for 20-21k...........

I appreciate all the advice guys. Love BITOG

ahem...what about my suggestion? :
Originally Posted By: earlyre
1) how do you feel about a Dodge Dakota?
2) where abouts in Indiana are you?

2010 Dodge Dakota
30,024mi $19,999
Mike Anderson Dodge RAM (Marion,IN)

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/619801495/overview/

http://www.mikeandersondodge.net/certifi...8ec6ff713c2.htm

1 owner, CPO
CarFax does show a prior accident, a deer strike in Dec 2012, not enough to deploy airbags.
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=1D7CW3BK7AS104590&partner=COO_0

it does seem odd that they don't have photos of it up, as they've had it since the 6th according to the carfax.....

I bought a new 2011 Silverado LT Ext Cab 4x4 for $23k at the model year end. List was $33k. Traded it in with low mileage in perfect condition a year and a half later and got $22.5k. New truck was a Z71 with most all the options that stickered at $40k. I paid $27k. On the lot used, both trucks with 10k miles and a year and a half old would have sold for about $5k more than I paid new.
I can't see buying used with the unreasonable discounts and rebates available. Well, were available. I assume there are similar discounts on the 2014 models.

I wish you luck finding your desired combination at your desired price point. In this day and age, crew cabs are the highest demand trucks out there, and they are priced accordingly. Also remember that sales were low for a couple year period during the recession, meaning there are less vehicles to meet the used car demand.

I've thought about replacing my current truck, but the used truck pricing for what I want is around $25k (4x4 crew cab, 60-70k miles), when I can get a new one for just over 30k. Makes buying new a no brainer...

I'm going to buy a 2008 Silverado Z71 Ext Cab. Truck has 23000 miles and is a one owner. It does have a few small dings, but overall it's nice. It has a tonneau cover and all the options including climate control. It's white with the titanium/black interior. We shook hands on 19k cash. We are meeting at the bmv Tuesday to do the transaction. It's not crew cab or 6 speed auto, but it is like brand new.

Out of curiosity, what is the actual purpose of this vehicle?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

I've been running into the problem of used trucks being outrageous, are they like that all over the country? im seeing 100k mile 2010's going for 20+k. I've noticed the cheapest ones ive found are in michigan, and they get more expensive going south. At least that has been my gathering from a week or so of craigslist and autotrader shopping. Naturally they probably are in better shape south of the ohio which puts them mostly out of snowy climates. thoughts? id really like a 2011 or 2012 for around 20k with 50-70k miles on it, am i dreaming?

Yes, prices are crazy. And I think you are getting into "truck season" as the summer goes into winter. When I was looking lost year there was a lot of junk out there and a lot of stuff priced high that was not that good or had lots of miles.

But I think deals could be found - I got a good deal on the truck in my signature - had 43k on it. It had good maintenance records, was a 1 owner truck (corporate vehicle). Only downside was the bed was dinged and scratched a lot. It was used like a truck. No big deal to me - a trip to LineX fixed most of that up. A tonneau cover fixed the rest.

You are heading in the right direction in looking for deals - they do exist but when they pop up be ready to pounce if it's passes the test.

As far as new vs used - that's up to you. I know I could have bought a new stripper model for about what I paid for mine. But then I'd be driving a stripper model that I hated. Instead I bought a couple year old, with warranty (at least the remainder of the power train), and much life left in it. And the best part is someone else put the "first dings" in it!
smile.gif

Interest rates were about the same - I got 2% on used for 60 months. Plan to pay it off well ahead of schedule but the dealer was able to get great rates easily. Financing may be an option if you get better returns on your investments than the interest rate. And in worst case just withdrawal the funds from savings and pay the loan off.

As far as brands, I'd stick with Ford and GM. Better capabilities, reliability, and resale value if you don't like or need it later on. There's a reason Rams are cheap to buy new and cheap at the used market. (And that's all I'm going to say as to not turn this into a war.)

Have fun shopping. I'm one of those weirdos that likes car shopping!

The problem is your buying a half used up truck for 2/3's of the price of a new one.

Just buy new, the amount of interest the note will cost you will be cheaper than fixing a 70k mile truck.

I have seen brand new Ford, Silverado, and Ram crew cabs with V8's and 4x4 for the high $20k range. Financing $10k over a year or two at 2% or less is peanuts. Less than buying a 70k mile truck than changing out all the fluids, brakes, tires, and whatever else the PO messed up.

Last edited:
You can get a Titan for that kind of money. I bought a 2012 Crew Cab SV 4x4 for $26k out the door. Finding one used for <20k shouldn't be hard.

Originally Posted By: mikefxu
Out of curiosity, what is the actual purpose of this vehicle?

General use. some highway driving, towing once every couple weeks. hauling people. hauling my tools between the house and the shop. It will be a full time driver and part time worker, like most pickups.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The problem is your buying a half used up truck for 2/3's of the price of a new one.

Just buy new, the amount of interest the note will cost you will be cheaper than fixing a 70k mile truck.

I have seen brand new Ford, Silverado, and Ram crew cabs with V8's and 4x4 for the high $20k range. Financing $10k over a year or two at 2% or less is peanuts. Less than buying a 70k mile truck than changing out all the fluids, brakes, tires, and whatever else the PO messed up.

Woah there- a truck with 50k on it is quite far from half used up. If you cant get 150-180k out of a modern vehicle you are doing something amazingly wrong. I think 50-70k is a great sweet spot for buying a used truck. Remember also that you will pay less interest (dollars, not rate) and save a huge amount of money on depreciation.

I don't think anyone disagrees that a truck with 50-70k doesn't have a lot of life left in it. They do.

The issue is how the current used truck market is priced. Trucks don't depreciate nearly as quick as they used to.

As an example, trucks optioned like the OP wanted (4x4, supercrew) on the local volume leaders lot with 50-70k on them are priced between 23 (multi accident vehicle I might add) and 29k. They are selling new 2014 trucks in XLT trim for $32k. Throw in nearly 0% financing, and to me it becomes a no brainer to go new. And I've never bought a new truck in my life - they've all been used with between 70 and 105,000 miles.

I'd hope for 200kmiles on any modern vehicle. Maybe shocks and wheel bearings, nothing more, typical repairs. That means at 70k it's "worth" 2/3 of its original price. Ideally if you could get it for half price you'd be ahead.

Well, I'm not sure I'm real interested in a half-ton that cost $50k initially, but you get the idea. Not worth $50k to me but depreciate a $30k truck down to $20k... if taken care of and driven lightly it seems like something that ought to last more than a decade.

At least that was my reasoning for how I wound up with mine.

As said above for the extra $5k or so its cheaper to buy new. The problem is if you start at 70k, your 30k away from an expensive service, tires, brakes, whatever the PO screwed up. Also your getting to be outside of the warranty period.

IMHO if a new one is $32k, and I can get a 70k mile truck for half that its worth it, now if that truck is $25k, I'm walking over to the new one and signing the paperwork.

5-10 years ago you could score great deals on used trucks, these days I don't feel the used ones are cheap enough.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
You can get a Titan for that kind of money. I bought a 2012 Crew Cab SV 4x4 for $26k out the door. Finding one used for div>

THIS^^

To the original poster, do you like your Armada?
If so a Titan would be a good bet.

Originally Posted By: Anthony
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
You can get a Titan for that kind of money. I bought a 2012 Crew Cab SV 4x4 for $26k out the door. Finding one used for div>

THIS^^

To the original poster, do you like your Armada?
If so a Titan would be a good bet.

Anthony, i do like the Armada. I love the 5.6l engine and how powerful and responsive it is. The reason i don't really want a titan is because i have the armada. the dash and seats are almost identical to the titan. also the front end is the same. While i think it looks good, it is dated back to the early 2000's and i wanted something that different if that makes sense. I bought a Silverado. ill post pictures in the vehicles section soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back