School shooting, near Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
This is Horrible. I partially blame video games for this.
What? That's ridiculous.

I don't understand when all these anti-gun people come around (not you 84zmyfavorite) and start blaming guns. Do these people realize that drugs are illegal, killing people is illegal, and drunk driving is illegal? Does that stop people from doing any of those? Nope.

Rant over.

Video games, poor parenting, not teaching negotiating skills in school or at home, (with yourself or others) drugs, violence glorified on the tube. There are so many reasons our world has gone to heck in a bucket. Guns are just the method used, not the root cause of much of the violence of the day. Some folks are just broken, and we are failing as a society to recognize them and deal accordingly.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
This is Horrible. I partially blame video games for this.

Oh my, so much more complicated than that. Maybe a factor, but a lot more needs to come out, and often it wont. Gov't is still hiding a lot about the CT shooting, even from guys like me (LE and I live about 40min form the location).

The booze isnt to blame for the drunk, the car isn't to blame for the speeder getting into an accident, the gun isn't to blame for the shooters actions, the meds aren't to blame for the person who takes strange and odd actions, and on and on. We constantly seek to compartmentalize these matters into a "If we only banned this, If we only did that.."

Nobody seems to tell the truth anymore. Our moral decay is from the top! Bush lied plenty, Obama is even worse as time goes on. Where does a society turn? We didn't even appoint a DR as Ebola boss! We have a DR come into NY from treating Ebola patients and proceeds to the subway among other places.

Our whole society is sooooo egocentric. Reminds me of the fall of the Roman Empire.

Rant over....

Guys this is VERY local to me. I know quite a bit at this point.

I started crying watching the KOMO4 news just now when the head ER Response Dr. said they had not identified two girls yet but had narrowed it down to 4-5 families.

I have a 16 year old daughter at Cedarcrest HS. Cheerleader. Headed to a game tonight.

Cool down on the political junk. This kid was practically screaming for help on Twitter, despite the people talking and saying he "looked normal yesterday". There are things pointing at his instability and things pointing at 14 year old kids having sexually mature relationships.

What happened is tragic, but what upsets me is that a lot of you are posting out of your butt. Seriously, you post about things when you've never experienced anything close to bullying, and you have no clue what the cause is. Video games, poor parenting? Really!?

I dealt with heavy bullying when I was a kid and was suspended every single year in middle school for fighting back. It was rough, really rough, for me.

I've also played first-person shooters since they've been available. I punched back, but never considered shooting or stabbing back. I contemplated taking extreme measures against the gangs of bullies who would pick on kids like me, but it was always personal, and I only ever wanted vengeance against those who hurt me or those I know. The whole shooting things is new, and probably has more to do with acceptance than attention. If it is attention, then it would definitely be prudent of bullies to knock off the [censored].

That's not to say that bullies don't have their own twisted reasons for doing what they do, but it's now a matter a life or death in certain situations. I wonder how many bullies leave certain prey alone after all of these school shootings. Obviously, some bullies aren't evolving.

Last edited:
All I wanted to point out that the same action taken by the similar demographics individual but with a different ethnicity or religion would have resulted in a completely different reaction on BITOG and that is quite sad.

Did this shooter killed a bully or a defenseless girl?

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Today he decided to be a criminal. With forethought, he planned to take the lives of other kids, and made sure they had no means of meeting or countering his killing. There is no "lost" soul defense or he had "issues." We all have issues and we all have ups and down in our lives. This young man made a conscious decision to KILL unarmed defenseless classmates in the coldest of manner. He was a coward.

Well said.

I don't know if this is accurate or not. It is early. But on the news they said that he was involved in a fight over a girl, and was suspended. And then allowed to come back.

They said on the news that he shot at kids at a table. There were something like six kids at the table. Apparently a girl was shot first and killed. And he wounded some boys. And then turned the gun on himself. Maybe these details will change or be corrected later, but that is what was on the news I listened to.

They said he was Native American, and that he had been very popular at school and had been named the Prince of the Year or something like that. There was a video of him and a girl who had also been selected to be the Princess.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Cool down on the political junk. This kid was practically screaming for help on Twitter, despite the people talking and saying he "looked normal yesterday". There are things pointing at his instability and things pointing at 14 year old kids having sexually mature relationships.

Well said. A good reminder that we should all slow down a bit in life and take notice of the people around us.

Kindness in everyday life could go a long way. When we're older, we have usually learnt to not take things so personally (well some of us anyway), but youngsters have so many expectations and so much peer pressure, their emotions get overloaded.

We have a societal problem where parents are competitive through their kids and that forces them to grow up before they have matured emotionally.

This is happened very nearby. Still learning some of the details. The Tulalip reservation is very near the school. Sounds like he is from the tribe. This guy was recently the homecoming king. He does not fit the loner outcast mold like some of the shootings that have happened. I just hope this was not a racial thing. I am so sick of people bashing other people because or their ethnicity.

I just told my niece and a couple friends to just be pleasant to everybody at school. Students who are on the fringe will have a much easier time. I hope this was not a factor. Praying for them all.

I agree that maybe some teachers should be doing conceal carry. Also the schools probably all be going to the metal detectors at the entrances. Makes me wonder if they are going to start doing psychological testing at schools as well. Help us all..........

According to the news reports two of the kids shot at the table were cousins of this kid. The last thing I heard was that three boys were critical with head wounds and a girl was dead, plus the kid who did the shooting died from a self-inflected gunshot wound.

I wonder if anybody was aware of what this kid had been saying at this Twitter Account.

If anybody knows about anyone who is having problems there needs to be some way to get mental health care.

They said he was from a prominent Native American family and that he had been popular. And he had been selected as the Homecoming Prince and a girl selected as the Homecoming Princess.

A girl who saw the shooting said that he walked in to the cafeteria and without saying a word started to shoot the kids at one table.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Video games, poor parenting, not teaching negotiating skills in school or at home, (with yourself or others) drugs, violence glorified on the tube. There are so many reasons our world has gone to heck in a bucket. Guns are just the method used, not the root cause of much of the violence of the day. Some folks are just broken, and we are failing as a society to recognize them and deal accordingly.

I think you are right. I grew up thru the 50s and 60s. I guess there were school killings somewhere, way before the internet....

Once again its a kid getting possession of the parent's killing machine. This entire household should loose gun rights permanently.

Whatever the reason may be - mental illness, video games, drugs, etc.. the common denominator is guns. By logical common sense it would be most effective to fix that one common problem instead of scrambling to fix all the several alleged causes. Yes those causes need to be fixed too but that will take a long time and it wont have an immediate effect, and an immediate remediation is desperately needed. Ask any parent who's kids are in school. I dont think it will give them even a cent worth more peace of mind knowing that now several staff at school have guns ready! What a dumb brainless suggestion.

Guns need to be banned for the general public with permits given, even for ammunition, only on very specific case by case basis. For example if you live out in the boonies and need to protect yourself from wildlife or such other threats. For hunting one gun is enough and no need for ammunition stockpile.
If you need 10 guns and a 30 round magazine to shoot a deer then you should rather stay home and find another hobby anyway.

Last edited:
I figure that there has always been a small percentage of people who are psychotic, or become psychotic. As the population increases the actual number of those increases, but not necessarily as a percentage of the total population.

I don't think it has anything to do with video games, bad parenting, or the Internet. My opinion.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
Once again its a kid getting possession of the parent's killing machine. This entire household should loose gun rights permanently.

Whatever the reason may be - mental illness, video games, drugs, etc.. the common denominator is guns. By logical common sense it would be most effective to fix that one common problem instead of scrambling to fix all the several alleged causes. Yes those causes need to be fixed too but that will take a long time and it wont have an immediate effect, and an immediate remediation is desperately needed. Ask any parent who's kids are in school. I dont think it will give them even a cent worth more peace of mind knowing that now several staff at school have guns ready! What a dumb brainless suggestion.

Guns need to be banned for the general public with permits given, even for ammunition, only on very specific case by case basis. For example if you live out in the boonies and need to protect yourself from wildlife or such other threats. For hunting one gun is enough and no need for ammunition stockpile.
If you need 10 guns and a 30 round magazine to shoot a deer then you should rather stay home and find another hobby anyway.

If your solution was implemented in the United States, the civil war that would ensue would make the 1800s civil war look like a picnic. Banning guns will not happen, and it isn't the solution. The US was founded at the barrel of a gun; it's one of the most innate parts of US culture. It's why there is the 2nd amendment. That is just a fact whether one is pro or anti-gun.

Last edited:
It is so silly to always hear the same thing over and over-ban guns and the problems are solved. And how many people have been murdered by people using automobiles, hatchets, baseball bats, poison, knives, explosives, etc., etc., etc.

The mental health system in this country is a disaster. It needs to be fixed.

People are being murdered mainly by terrorists or by people with mental health issues. Plus there is the occasional serial murderer. To do something about the terrorism we will probably have to deal with ISIS and other terrorist organizations. We need to rebuild the mental health system in this country. And we deal with the serial killer when we identify them. And then there are some murders committed by drunks in bars and domestic violence cases or by gangs, etc.

And if somebody is clearly displaying serious mental health issues people need to be willing to do something about it. This kid in Washington was saying a lot of disturbing stuff on his Twitter Account. If anybody noticed did they let somebody know? Did they try to do something? In case after case people KNEW there was something wrong before the guy got a gun and started to shoot people. And if a gun is not available the guy can use an automobile, or a knife, or whatever.

For example, in the Virginia Tech shooting case many people noticed beforehand that the guy was displaying disturbing behavior. If somebody had tried to do something, like trying to get mental health treatment for the guy, maybe the over thirty people he killed would not have died. Same thing with Sandy Hook.

In case after case after case people KNEW, before there was any killing, that a problem existed. But everybody is afraid to do anything. They don't want to interfere with anybody's right to be strange.

I think the mother of the guy at Sandy Hook knew her son had problems. Apparently she did try to get her son some help. So failure of the system. But she also took her son shooting apparently. The parents are the first line of defense. The parents need to try to get help. And then the mental health system in this country has to be functioning properly.

Military action against the terrorists. Hunt down the serial killers. And mental health for people who are potentially violent BEFORE they go out and kill a bunch of people.

Yes getting rid of guns sounds real smart. Look what happens to victims when they have no gun.

That way all the criminals will be armed, and the innocent public will be at their mercy.

Originally Posted By: CT8
There needs to be armed teachers. The way the world is being sheeple won't work.

Have you ever actually taught in a school and significantly interacted with teachers? Um, no, very few teachers have any business near guns. They're not police.

Most schools have armed guards/police singularly trained for that and police are usually around or in schools a significant amount of time...

Originally Posted By: beanoil

Can you describe this "heck in a bucket" statistically so we all know specifically why the world has gone to dog gone heck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back