2015 Mazda 6 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! cant seem to find anything on this so I thought I would ask. I am looking for a cross reference number for a 2015 Mazda 6 OEM oil filter. PE01-14-302A. Anybody have one? Thanks for any help

Thanks to all who replied! That is what I came up with but just wanted to confirm. I did go to Amazon. (not the best reference) but when I put in my car info it said a 6607 would not fit my car but I am going with it to check it out. Thanks

Originally Posted By: BrianPA
...I did go to Amazon. (not the best reference) but when I put in my car info it said a 6607 would not fit my car.....

Likely Amazon database not updated, and ime I agree it's not the best ref. Very unlikely Fram and Wix both have it wrong.

And yes the 7317/14610 is the longer version if you have room. But then you would assume some of the warranty risk in the unlikely event of a filter related engine issue/failure.

Originally Posted By: BrianPA
Good morning! cant seem to find anything on this so I thought I would ask. I am looking for a cross reference number for a 2015 Mazda 6 OEM oil filter. PE01-14-302A. Anybody have one? Thanks for any help

I'd only go with Wix if you choose not to use the OEM filters. OEM filters should be about $6.50/each from your dealer. The OEM does not have an ADBV. Wix made a special filter to fill this application. Fram and others just re-applicationed existing filters that still have the ADBV.

Is the ADBV a big deal? Probably not, just my $0.02.

^Correct. I initially bought three on eBay for $7 each. My dealer is not conveniently located. They don't have ADBV because they mount base plate up and since the filter was Sky-specific for Mazda it probably saves a few cents per filter not to include one. The microGreen filters I am using do have the ADBV. I doubt having one will cause any issues, but it's not needed.

So, in this case you have the luxury of not caring whether the component is nitrile or silicone.

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
There is a special filter for the Skyactiv, and the 7317 / 6607 isn't it. I'd use the OEM until the aftermarket manufacturers catch up.

Wix already has one.

Perhaps those saying or implying the Mazda filter is something special or different can tell me what that is? Having or not having an adbv would make no difference. It's basically a one way check valve and having one even if not required would not be an issue.

And both respective major filter manufacturers listing the #6607 and 14612 numbers do say those are the correct applications on their look up, which means they stand behind those applications as spec'd. If only the Mazda filter was 'required' to be used then that would mean they would have to provide them for free under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

As for the Wix. Wix relatively recently changed the base plate geometry of a number of applications to provide better thread engagement and gasket seal of 'their' filters. The 57356 (for Honda) superseding the 51356 is one such an example. I mention that because the spec'd 5/7002 has a very similar/same baseplate design to the newer 57356. Similar to new Honda application this could explain the newer Mazda application. But this is Wix specific change, others including Fram and Purolator made no similar change.

That said if one is only confident with oem or Wix for whatever reason that's fine. But the numbers listed for Fram and Puro are the spec filter applications for said Mazda.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Perhaps those saying or implying the Mazda filter is something special or different can tell me what that is? Having or not having an adbv would make no difference. It's basically a one way check valve and having one even if not required would not be an issue.

That is the million dollar question. Wix created a brand new filter that is only applicable to the Skyactiv engines after they did their testing of the OEM. That was a huge cost for Wix. If you don't know what is different, why risk it? Stick to OEM or Wix for now. I called wix and asked them what was different with this filter that only applies to Mazda Skyactiv engines and they said they could not disclose that information.

So basically no reason was given by Wix other than they have newer separate application for the new model. Which leads me back to the part of my previous post that wasn't quoted, and led me look closer at the 5/7002 for the 2015 as compared to the previous Mazda 6 filter.

....As for the Wix. Wix relatively recently changed the base plate geometry of a number of applications to provide better thread engagement and gasket seal of 'their' filters. The 57356 (for Honda) superseding the 51356 is one such an example. I mention that because the spec'd 5/7002 has a very similar/same baseplate design to the newer 57356. Similar to new Honda application this could explain the newer Mazda application. But this is Wix specific change, others including Fram and Purolator made no similar change.....

Looking at previous 6's, Wix also calls for the 57002 in the 2014 which according to their description is not sykactive. So the idea that it was created just for the 2015 model doesn't appear correct. However in 2013 the 6's filter is the 51348 linked below. It's base plate design looks very similar to or the same as the previous Honda filter (51356) which is discussed in the quote above along with the reason for the change of base plate configuration.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51348
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51356

Now comparing the new 57002 to the newer Honda (and others) 57356, their base plate designs also look the same.
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=57002
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=57356

I'm thinking that similar to the new Honda filter application Wix also changed the baseplate for 57002 for the same reason, better thread engagement and gasket seal. Wix must have felt they were having an issue with that in some of 'their' previous designs.

But just as Fram and Purolator didn't have to change their 7317/14610 filter spec for Hondas and others, the current 6607/14612 is the correct Mazda 6 application as listed on their respective filter look ups. If I owned a 2014-2015 Mazda6 I'd have no problem using the 6607 or 14612 application as spec'd by either manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

That is the million dollar question. Wix created a brand new filter that is only applicable to the Skyactiv engines after they did their testing of the OEM. That was a huge cost for Wix. If you don't know what is different, why risk it? Stick to OEM or Wix for now. I called wix and asked them what was different with this filter that only applies to Mazda Skyactiv engines and they said they could not disclose that information.

My understanding is that there is a difference in the bypass pressure that is spec'ed for the application.

For instance, a "6607" type filter by Wix (which is the 51358) specs a 8 psi by-pass valve setting. The 57002, which is the Skyactiv specific filter, has a by-pass valve setting of 11-14.

Upon further inspection, it does appear that even though Wix doesn't specify the 2014 6 as skyactive, it is. As now noted the previous 'Wix' 6 application has bypass psi 8-11, the 57002 11-14. As bypass events are rare and of short duration, imo similar to the redesigned Honda Wix, the base plate design change is the major difference.

Again though, as Fram and Puro list the 6607 and 14612 respectively for Mazda skyactive, I'd be confident with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back