Oil wieght for 360 magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pjc360
I see Amsoil makes a 0w-30 oil in thier signature series brand but the Mobil 1 would be a lot cheaper through wal-mart. And I am still on the fence about running a 30 or 40 weight oil. The 40 weight will bring better oil pressure, does that mean a longer lasting engine?

The 5.9 called for 30 weight from factory. A 0w-30 would not be a bad way to go in the winter if your seeing -30 degrees in the morning, I have run Amsoil 0w-30 in my 5.9 Durango for years, great oil!

Carburetor better not be poached I just paid 600 dollars for it back in June, it's a quick fuel super street series 680 cfm vaccum secondary's black diamond edition.

remember Amsoil signature series are superior real synthetic group IV oils above typical group III fake "synthetic" legally so since 1999 with the xtra necessary added VII + pour point depressants that do not last, thet are needed to make them work. real synthetic shines in severe cold or hot conditions

Those engines run well on 10w-30 oils. Might I suggest Amsoil Signature Series 5w-30 or 10w-30? They should still pump in those cold temps I would think.

Carburetor better not be poached I just paid 600 dollars for it back in June, it's a quick fuel super street series 680 cfm vaccum secondary's black diamond edition.

Choose by weather, then. QS Defy 5w-30 would be a fine option. So would MaxLife, PYB, or any other number of oils. I'm sure a 40 grade would be acceptable, too, but just watch the winter rating.

I'm leaning towords a 0w-30'or 0w-40 or 5w-40 oil. I see amsoil makes 0w-30 in thier signature series line and I have read that it's a great oil, possibly even amsoils best oil. I see redline makes a 0w-30 and a 0w-40 and a 5w-40.
I don't know much about redline oil other then what I have heard and I have never heard anyone say it's a bad oil, and some people think it is the best oil there is.
Mobil 1!would be the cheapest and easiest to obtain for me, I know of a local shop in my area that sells amsoil and I know the owner pretty well and I know I could have him order me the signature series 0w-30 and I could purchase red line oil online.nredline would be the most expensive at darn near 13 bucks a quart and amsoil would be second most expensive but I wouldn't be paying shipping on it like I would be for redline. But I am kind of wanting to try a 40 wieght oil in my engine and seeing what the oil pressure does. So I am still trying to decide what to run.
Right now I'm still leaning towords mobil 1 0w-40 but I am strongly considering asking the local shop I know of that sells amsoil how much 7 quarts of 0w-30 signature series would run me.

The 0w-40 Mobil 1 is the least expensive option of the ones you are exploring and arguably their best product. I would just go with that.

Ya it makes the most sense to run what I can get ahold of easily and affordably. I will be going to wal-mart on Saturday to do some grocery shopping, I will sneak over to the oil section and look around and I will probly end up getting some mobil 1 0w-40 for my truck. that's what Im leaning towords the most. Is the Mobil 1 0w-40 a group 3 or group 4 synthetic?

never been a fan of BP products. But that doesn't mean it's not good oil. Iis there something special about it that makes it better then the mobil 1 0w-40?

never been a fan of BP products. But that doesn't mean it's not good oil. Iis there something special about it that makes it better then the mobil 1 0w-40?

Nope.

Ya it makes the most sense to run what I can get ahold of easily and affordably. I will be going to wal-mart on Saturday to do some grocery shopping, I will sneak over to the oil section and look around and I will probly end up getting some mobil 1 0w-40 for my truck. that's what Im leaning towords the most. Is the Mobil 1 0w-40 a group 3 or group 4 synthetic?

It's irrelevant what group it it. What matters is the specs it meets. That's the most important info you need to know.
Keep it simple. Walmart is cheap and has one of the best oils available on earth for under 26 bucks a jug.
Not that I don't like Amsoil. In fact I just used up what was left of my 5w30 in my truck,but I didn't pay anywhere near wholesale for it so cost wasn't an issue.
The thing about Amsoil and their 25000 mile drain interval is the inevitable cost of analysis,which is comparable to the cost of an oil change so my thinking is that if I'm going to spend that money anyway I might as well just change the oil.
I'm not saying it's not a fantastic product. But for it to be cost effective you've gotta really extend the interval,especially once you factor in the cost of uoa too.
Stick with m1 0w-40 for the rest of the trucks life.

Well I just got back from my wal-mart trip and I bought the mobil 1 0w-40 for my truck.and for my fiancée's chrysler town and country I bought a 5 quart jug of mobil 1 0w-30. I had been running valvoline synpower 5w-30 in the van. But with winter coming I figured it would benefit from the 0w-30.

Just wanted to give an update. I purchased 7 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-40 on Saturday and I changed the oil this afternoon. One thing I did notice is that my oil pressure hot in neutral doing is now 30 pounds and my hot in gear idle oil pressure is 25 now. So it's showing higher pressure with the 0w-40 compared to the 5w-30. And I didn't notice any start up clatter on the first start after the oil change which I normally would hear when run in the valvoline synpower 5w-30.
So I am going to run this oil and see how it does. I know it will prob take at least a year or even more to put 5000 miles on this oil, is that ok? Or should I change it every 6 months or once a year since I don't out a lot of miles on it? How long is the oil good in the pan for?

I highly doubt that you will need a 40 weight oil during the winter. That engine will likely never see oil temps above 170 degrees in the winter. I would use Mobil 1 5W30 high mileage oil winter and regular 15W40 summer.

I thought the 0w-40 was the best for winter because the oil flows a lot quicker on the cold start. Twice as quick as 5w oil. I seen mobil 1 makes a 0w-30 oil too. How does this oil compare to the 0w-40 and the other 5w-30 and 0w-30 oils out there?

The 0w-40 will be fine year round, that's the beauty of it. I run it in my M5 all year.

Will you NEED the 40 in the winter? No. But it isn't going to hurt anything and it has excellent cold temperature performance.

I feel confident in the recommendations from you guys to run the mobil 1 0w-40.
It will be the oil I use from here on out. It's affordable and super easy to locate, that right there makes it worth running and then of course people have said it's arguably mobil 1's best oil. I feel confident running it.
Thanks for the suggestions and information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back