Auto Parts Store Selling More Oil Filters Now..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I deal with a Napa Auto Parts store sometimes and for years he had his oil filters behind the counter. I once mentioned to him that he might sell more if people can open the box and look at them which i do also, so i was there today picking up a few parts and noticed they were on the shelf where everyone could see and touch them and he says he actually sells many more now. Of course if he lowered his prices on them he would sell even more but i don't think that will happen anytime soon.
How many people here like to pick their own filters??

I too have to inspect them first before purchasing.

Always been that way. Probably picked it up from my dad.

I know I've seen a few in the box where the gasket had detached from the baseplate when I was younger.

Last edited:
I always open the box and look to make sure it looks ok
Always have done this and always will

If I didn't want to physically handle and inspect the filters I buy, I'd just order them online.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who runs his fingers over the gasket, looks at the pleats inside using a flashlight, compares the heft and feel of each product.

As far as auto part store salespeople go, I want them to be there when I need help, but out of sight when I just want to be left to my own devices.

Could just be me, though.

This should just be standard practice. Back in the ancient days, when people shopped, the clerk just got stuff for people, but when things were put on the shelves and people could pick things up themselves, sales went up. Just standard marketing 101.

I too like to inspect a filter before I buy it. I look at the threads, check for dings and make sure the gasket is ok. If I have extra time when I grocery shop at Wal-Mart I'll look at the filters for the [censored] of it.

Who says you can't inspect the filters after they retrieve them for you? Should be standard practice to inspect boxed/bagged parts before paying for them.

Ideally,one would want to put ALL parts out front.Its a "warehouse" kinda thing that overwhelms the customer and makes them believe you are bigger than you really are.It also creates confusion,like the Wal Marts where you look up your own parts in a little ruffled book or stupid little digital push button device nobody knows how to work.And it certainly increases the potential for shoplifters,in the end raising the prices for everybody.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Who says you can't inspect the filters after they retrieve them for you? Should be standard practice to inspect boxed/bagged parts before paying for them.
I always look at them after they bring them out. I try to avoid the "blow/suck" ADBV test then, though-better to have some privacy & a little Barry White playing then!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Droopy
I too like to inspect a filter before I buy it. I look at the threads, check for dings and make sure the gasket is ok. If I have extra time when I grocery shop at Wal-Mart I'll look at the filters for the [censored] of it.

Guilty of that too. I always find a reason to go by the filter section. lol

Geez and I thought I was weird. Ive been buying STP filters for so long. I just make sure the box has the right P/N. I give it a swipe of oil on the seal. and put it on. Next time I see it is when I remove it. Is it dumb luck that I have never had an oil filter fail?

If you buy your filters at Walmart you better inspect them. That Fram Ultra box could well have the Orange Fram in it, or worse a used orange Fram
shocked2.gif

Whimsey

I like to take the filters out of the box and look at them, but don't want to buy filters that other people have done that to. Maybe they spit in it. That is what's bad about walmart, the stock can be very abused in all depts, anything that isn't sealed in iron is torn apart there. People open cookware sets, take one pot out and go to the checkout and say "how much iz zis?" Clerk there told me it happens all the time.
Then the auto parts guy is probably feeding you the oldest stock or a returned one first.

most parts stores frown upon people inspecting filters. I know Most Napa Stores around here keep their filters in the back

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
If you buy your filters at Walmart you better inspect them. That Fram Ultra box could well have the Orange Fram in it, or worse a used orange Fram
shocked2.gif

Whimsey

A true FRAMite would take the used OCOD, reinstall it on their vehicle, and run it for 2 OCI's.

You just need to drink some more koolaid....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back