Desulfator built into battery charger do they work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want revive a battery and was going to buy a desulfator only. But I can across battery chargers with built in desulfators. problem I have is how do you know if the charger is going to go into desulfation mode when you want it to. I want it to recover a sulphated battery but it the charger just might charge it and skip the desulfation part. Do the desulfator chargers work or do i need to get a specific desulfator device?

Noco G7200 and the higher more expensive G26000 have selectable desolation mode. You will want to fully charge the battery, then use the desulfation mode. The manual will tell you this.

If the battery is too low to be detected, the charger has a supply mode that will apply a constant 13.6v @ 5 amps until the battery can be detected by the auto mode.

Very smart chargers!

http://www.geniuschargers.com/G7200

You can buy on Amazon, but i don't know who ships to your country.

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G7200-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B004LWTHP2

I bought a wally's schumarker brand charger which has a desul, charge, voltage option.

Here is what I did to improve my 2007 honda ridgeline battery that barely cranked in winter and the truck sits most of the year.

first I charged the battery in normal charge mode,
then I ran the desul mode 2x times back to back. this was 3 years back and the battery is performing better and stil working.

I spent $45 for the charger I think, they are more now, like $55.

on the flip side, I had an optima blue in my Grandby truck camper, and it was low.
I bought a dedicated AGM batt charger and followed the steps provided by optima to revive the battery, no dice, I just wasted 70 for the charger and more for the battery.

I am actually trying to revive a deep cycle battery I pulled from my toyota winnie camper,
one side has a bulge, which is not good, still I want to see if I can revive it.

what is the volt reading on the battery?
trickle charge it to voltage first then charge with high amp and then run desul.
good luck!

Thanks for the replies.
My battery was fine a few weeks ago until I noticed it not getting to a high voltage after being charged. It gets up to 11.5V and then when I take the charger off, about an hour later it drops down to 10.5V.

Its 2 55AH deep cycle batteries wired in parralel. Connected to the vehicles battery with a manual isolater switch in between. The vehicle engine charges the vehicles battery and the 2 deep cycle batteries and when I set up camp I can use the isolater switch to seperate the 2 deep cycle batteries from the vehicle battery. I run a refrigerator on the 2 deep cycle batteries. I never let the voltage get too low. The batteries have just died on me. Maybe something to do with the battery system I run.
The 2 55AH deep cycles came out of a fork lift, and I had them running fine for about 3 years in my camper van.
I'm leaning towards just buying the desulfator on its own. I have an old charger. I'm thinking if I buy a charger with a desulfator built in, the charger will just say error, voltage too low or something, and not start to desulfate the battery.

The thing is, the desulfator alone is $55 and the charger with the desulfator built-in is $59.

Last edited:
i bought one of these

my 12V battery bank wouldn't go up more than 10.5 Volts. I've had the desulfator on the the battery as well as a basic charger on the battery for 3 days and the voltage is up to 12.2V. It must be working.
The desulfator seems to work faster, and be more effective, when its connected to the battery with a charger also connected to the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back