mobil 1 vs castrol synthetic gear oil????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
good evening fellas. i am contemplating synthetic gear oil for my 2010 toyota tundra 4x4. i believe it calls for gl-5 in both the front and rear diffs and the transfer case. what are y'all's thoughts between mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic limited slip vs castrol syntrax 75w-90 synthetic limited slip gear oils? i checked the msds on both and it appears that the mobil 1's flash point is higher but the pour point is lower on the castrol. my truck only has 25,000 on it but its 5 yrs old so i wanna change these out to a synthetic so MAYBE i can get a lil bit better mpg's as a bonus. on a side note i just changed the engine oil to castrol synthetic 0w-20 and a mobil 1 filter so maybe that will help some with mpg's.
thanks and if there are any other better easily avaliable syn gear oils please post up,
eddie

Last edited:
Either for the front diff and xfer case

But, the rear diff might call for 75w85. Toyota/Ford/Honda/GM and Redline have a GL5 75w85.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
whitearrow - I have had extensive experience with both of these products over many years and millions of kms. Their performance variances are negligible

I've only used the Mobil1 myself but I agree with Doug, I doubt you would notice the difference.
I would go for which ever is cheapest.

The first thing I would do is look in the owner's manual to determine what fluid is needed.

If you share what the manual says, we can give you better advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back