what are you guys flipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need to make some extra cash. cars can get you into trouble with huge registration fees and emission repairs. and it seems that the cheap cars need both.

i bought a nice atv to fix up and sell just as a test.i cant sell it! dune season is here but everyone is selling quads and buying razers.

i know that trailers are in high demand(to haul the new razer) but trailers are way overpriced since theres a long wait to get a new trailer.

ideas?

I've got an afternoon's worth of hire for my M90 supercharger pulley tool on the local classifieds...no bites, but only been there 4 days.

A shop in Melbourne sells a 10psi pulley and belt for $160, $300 fitted Drive in drive out.

Flipping? Unless you find a niche market or do it with real estate (and know what you're doing) there simply isn't enough money in it. There are much better ways to make money.

Our cemetery mapping business has done quite well-we wrapped it up for this year early this month finished the final billing last week. Most government agencies have seen increased tax revenue the last couple of years, and the townships are willing to get their active cemeteries into a database that they can use. While we won't get rich from it, over the last 3 years it put enough to buy a new, nicely optioned SUV in our garage if we elected to spend it. We chose to save the money.

We spend an average of 62 man hours each summer (2 of us, 31 hours each) divided between sales, research, time on site, data entry and training. It works out to about $170/hour for our time, which includes the software I wrote when we started. Aside from the money, it is a lot of fun spending the time with my wife, working together, and exploring the history in the cemeteries. We work when we want and how long we want.

There are lots of ways to make money, but I don't see decent profits in ATV's and cars. With a few rare exceptions, the return on investment simply isn't there. Find an underserved niche market in your area (yes, it takes research), learn the skills that it takes to satisfy that niche market, and go make it happen.

As an example, the son of a couple with whom we are friends has a 1 ton dump truck (mid-80's Ford). He uses it in his spare time to haul rock, dirt, mulch and other items for people in the area that need something hauled that is too small for a "real" dump truck but too large for a pickup. He makes a tidy sum during the summer just on weekends, and his only marketing is word of mouth. We've used him a couple times to haul mulch for us, and his truck is small enough to get into back yards where full size dump trucks can't go. I would not be surprised if his net profits were $300+ on a busy summer weekend. And he is as busy as he wants to be every weekend from early spring to fall.

Opportunity is everywhere. You just need to go find it.

I think the realtors are ahead of the buying curve for auto flipping. When I was in my teens, one realtor used to make some side money flipping cars he found from old ladies and men who weren't going to drive any longer.

Easiest money you can make is working more hours at what you're already a pro at, in my opinion. Could try advertising in CL for a weekend mechanic.

I might try leveraging my rototiller and trailer to rototill folk's gardens next spring. For what it costs to rent a tiller, and more if a truck is needed to haul/return it, there's likely some money to be made by offering a tilling service. And some exercise to be had handling the tiller!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Birds
thumbsup2.gif

Wife wanted to breed our yorkies a few years back. She loves the dang things but we had the female spaded. She heard from a friend of hers that had a litter of 6. They sold every single last one of them for $250 each with in 2 weeks. She kinda wanted to do the same but I'm not looking forward to potty training every litter. And knowing her she would want to keep one from each litter.

Guess you could be one of thoses ammo hoarders and sell the ammo online. Depending on the area it can be hard finding a lot of ammo. From what I hear .22lr can be very hard to find in some places thier pretty much always in stock down here.

My partner at work does indeed flip vehicles constantly and is very successful at it, but he has a special "knack" for it that most people don't have including me. His specialty is motorcycles though. He has a lot of tricks but one is to buy in fall and sell in spring. He can make a couple thousand on a lot of bikes by just waiting that six months.

I flip cars all the time and there is plenty of money in it. I made a 100k doing it last year. I bought a car last week for 8k put about 2k into it and sold it for 15K in a few days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Guess you could be one of thoses ammo hoarders and sell the ammo online. Depending on the area it can be hard finding a lot of ammo. From what I hear .22lr can be very hard to find in some places thier pretty much always in stock down here.
ammo in ca is non existent. ive been looking for .22 for over a year.nobody has any. walmart does not even have a tag on the shelf for it.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
ammo in ca is non existent. ive been looking for .22 for over a year.nobody has any. walmart does not even have a tag on the shelf for it.

We have tons of it up here, go figure, LOL!

Ever been in the Goodwill stores and see folks with their shopping cart filled up? They are not there to buy goodies for their house, its for flipping in the yard sales or a swap shop they own.

In a second hand book store in Chattanooga once I notice a lady filling her cart with physics books, like it was a full cart. You know the books, they weigh a ton. I ask the lady what she was going to do with them, she sells them on internet all over the world she said. Hmmm, there is money in all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back