Ram EcoDiesel Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Anyone with a disdain for pushrods should note that GM seems to do quite well with it.

The reason the new Vette has the LOWEST CG ever measured in a street car is pushrod packaging. Simple, small, extremely powerful, great efficiency. Doesn't seem to lack for much.

DOHC engines are needlessly complex, with dozens more parts to fail and yards of chain to chew up your oil. Then the packaging issues set in...

Sometimes old school is better.
27.gif

It really isn't old school. OHC engine have been around long enough to be called old school as well.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
Is the emission system that bad on these Eco-diesel engines, that it's a cause for concern? I've read nothing but good things about this set up. Thanks

There is nothing wrong with the emission system on the Ram 1500 with the Eco-Diesel engine. The rants on here are people going off the deep end on n0n Eco-Diesel experiences.

I own one and have had ZERO issues with the truck and avg 26.7 mpg in a 1500 4x4 with mostly city driving.
That engine seems to have blow away any Ford or GM offerings in the that class.

I think those Diesel hotrodders should route the exhaust inside the cab on the passenger side then a 7" opening on the drivers side out to the rest of us law abiding citizens. Make the entire cab a hollow muffler. Go ahead and superchip and turbo the [censored] out of it. Dump all the fuel you want and try to be cool. Keep the high school party rolling....

slomo

VM 630 has a CGI engine block. So iron, sort of.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: ac_tc
I didnt say that it shared anything with older Cummins did i?
But the design isnt as modern as the vm, the Cummins is designed like
an old gas v8 with pushrods, big and bulky.A heavy cast iron pig.
That doesent mean that its a bad Engine in any way but its not as modern as the vm.

You don't know what you're talking about.
The new Cummins engine is DOHC.
Iron block, aluminum heads, 4 valves per cylinder, HPCR fuel system.
The VM Motori engine is also iron block and aluminum heads.
If you want to design a diesel that lasts a long time, you'll have to use an iron block.
So let's not hear anymore talk about "heavy cast iron pigs".

Originally Posted By: slomo
I think those Diesel hotrodders should route the exhaust inside the cab on the passenger side then a 7" opening on the drivers side out to the rest of us law abiding citizens. Make the entire cab a hollow muffler. Go ahead and superchip and turbo the [censored] out of it. Dump all the fuel you want and try to be cool. Keep the high school party rolling....

slomo

I like that idea.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: ac_tc
But for diesels rules have changed dramatically the last 10 years and the v8 Cummins isnt one of them modern "super" diesels
that the vm is.

"Super" in what respect?

It relies more on boost than displacement, hence it gets smaller for a given powerlevel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back