Mobil 1 Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Kawasaki FX 691V

That engine manual calls for a SAE40 weight oil in your Florida climate of above 68 degrees.

15W40 Delo or Rotella would be a good fit also. They are also a 40 weight at temp and have heavy duty additives that are better for wear.

If you absolutely must have a synthetic, then check out 5W40 Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck or 5W40 Rotella.

For those calling for SAE 40 and running in hot climates i would recommend Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

For those calling for SAE 40 and running in hot climates i would recommend Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40.

Another excellent choice!

M1 5W-40 TDT,
M1 10W-40 HM
M1 15W-50 (best for Florida generators run in very high temp and high load conditions)

+1 ...Use M1 10W30 in my Briggs Intek Lawnmower since new - still runs like new after 6 years !
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
...especially when one could use a 10w-30.

I live in florida,and I've been mowing grass for a living for 2 yrs now. I have always just used straight 30w oil,but after joining this forum,and learning from so many of you, I think it's prob wise to use a multi weight oil,esp. during the fall and winter months. The grass doesn't really grow much in the fall and winter here,but for the times I am mowing in the cold weather the multi weight oil would be wise.

Last edited:
I live in florida,and I've been mowing grass for a living for 2 yrs now. I have always just used straight 30w oil,but after joining this forum,and learning from so many of you, I think it's prob wise to use a multi weight oil,esp. during the fall and winter months. The grass doesn't really grow much in the fall and winter here,but for the times I am mowing in the cold weather the multi weight oil would be wise.

I live in Florida too. And I also work on power equipment on the side and do about 50-100 oil changes a year plus other maintenance items. I've already offered some of the best advice possible for your equipment based on your/our climate. Mowing in the winter you are not likely to mow under 55 degrees, and that's just in the early morning. More than likely you will be mowing above 65 degrees pretty much year round, and above 90 degrees for about 8-9 months out of the year.

Rehash what I said earlier: Run 15W40 year round or 5W40 synthetic if you must have a synthetic. DONE!

30 weights offers borderline protection for our climate and is why I recommend a 40 weight. Kawasaki only recommends the use of 30 weight up to 95 degrees. Run for several hours in really thick stuff and you will really be taxing a 30 weight oil. And since running a 40 weight hurts nothing and offers a bit more margin for safety, just run a 40 weight.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I live in Florida too. And I also work on power equipment on the side and do about 50-100 oil changes a year plus other maintenance items. I've already offered some of the best advice possible for your equipment based on your/our climate. Mowing in the winter you are not likely to mow under 55 degrees, and that's just in the early morning. More than likely you will be mowing above 65 degrees pretty much year round, and above 90 degrees for about 8-9 months out of the year.

Rehash what I said earlier: Run 15W40 year round or 5W40 synthetic if you must have a synthetic. DONE!

30 weights offers borderline protection for our climate and is why I recommend a 40 weight. Kawasaki only recommends the use of 30 weight up to 95 degrees. Run for several hours in really thick stuff and you will really be taxing a 30 weight oil. And since running a 40 weight hurts nothing and offers a bit more margin for safety, just run a 40 weight.

10-30 offers very good protection in much hotter temps than Florida. Like Illinois. I use M1 10-30 have have never had a problem. I do welding work for a small engine repair shop and all they use is 10-30. No problems at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
10-30 offers very good protection in much hotter temps than Florida. Like Illinois. I use M1 10-30 have have never had a problem. I do welding work for a small engine repair shop and all they use is 10-30. No problems at all.

Cool story bro. You don't have 100% humidity and 95 degree temperatures for 8-9 months out of the year. Agree that 10W30 works fine for most people and most locales in the USA. But that doesn't negate the fact that a 40 weight offers a larger margin of safety in the OP's Kawasaki that calls for a 40 weight oil above 68 degrees. 40 weight (15w40/5w40/SAE40) is the appropriate recommendation in THIS case.

i think xw40 would work very well in both warm and colder climates, some say that 40 will make ope run hotter but I don't know.

So Florida is hot, but humidity doesn't make it any hotter for the engine or oil. Just like wind chill factor doesn't make -10 any colder than -10.

Originally Posted By: lars11
i think xw40 would work very well in both warm and colder climates, some say that 40 will make ope run hotter but I don't know.

So Florida is hot, but humidity doesn't make it any hotter for the engine or oil. Just like wind chill factor doesn't make -10 any colder than -10.

Humidity does not play a major role in engine performance. However, high humidity does displace some air and slightly reduces engine performance. (and aircraft wing/prop performance) That is why "hot-humid and high" (altitudes) are such performance killers to small aircraft.

Interestingly though, the presence of significant water vapor in the air increases thermal capacity. Engineering aside, there is little practical difference for air cooled engines unless they are being rained on.

1.006 KJ/kg*C for dry air
1.996 KJ/kg*C for water vapor
4.19 KJ/kg*C for Fog (super saturated, droplets)

yep, that's why some experiment with water injection in preferably supercharged engines, but not so much in lawn mowers...
wink.gif

Last edited:
Rotella 15W-40 is really hard to beat as a small engine oil. I have a small Tecumseh that is quite a bit quieter with 15W-40 than with 10W-30. And that's Rotella in both cases (T5 for the 10W-30).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back