Liquid Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Fellows,

what can you tell me about Liquid Moly? Fed up with the stealer who overfilled my motor oil I went to an indy, but he uses Liquid Moly Leichluff 5W40 instead of MB oil or Mobil1 5W40. I know nothing of this brand nor if I can still keep the same interval for changes. Also he uses FRAM oil filters, I've always heard that they aren't the best, what say you? Could you give me your opinion?
Cheers

Fram makes great filters,the ultra is as good as it gets b

And liqui-moly is a fantastic brand of oil. I've had nothing but positive experiences with all their products. Top notch

Originally Posted By: Clevy

We're on the same page with most lubrication matters but I disagree that Ultra is as good as it gets in canister type oil filters. A flaw in their design is the location of the by-pass valve at the bottom of the can. Any debris that at the bottom of the can or that is flushed past the outside of the media will be drawn unfiltered into the engine when the valve opens.
The Motorcraft, Mobil and WIX designs have a superior by-pass arrangement where that can't happen.

Hold on!

If you're using Euro oil then you may have a Euro car which means a cartridge filter in which case do not go with a domestic brand of filter unless what you find in the box is actually the same as OE (Mann, Mahle, Hengst), usually made in Germany.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

We're on the same page with most lubrication matters but I disagree that Ultra is as good as it gets in canister type oil filters. A flaw in their design is the location of the by-pass valve at the bottom of the can. Any debris that at the bottom of the can or that is flushed past the outside of the media will be drawn unfiltered into the engine when the valve opens.
The Motorcraft, Mobil and WIX designs have a superior by-pass arrangement where that can't happen.

Now that's interesting. I was referring to the ultras filtering ability but I was unaware of the by-pass design being inferior.
Thanks Caterham.

Yes, Thank You for this info about FRAM Ultra filters. I have been using FRAM Ultra oil filters on my Girlfriends 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the past two oil changes, just spun a new one on Her Jeeps 4.0 this past Saturday. Not a big fan of Mobil 1 or WIX filters so will have to try MotorCraft next time.

Assuming you are referring to a Mercedes by your MB oil reference, yes that particular Liqui-Moly is 229.5 approved. I would agree also with sticking with a Mann or Mahle filter, for your application versus Fram.

Now that's interesting. I was referring to the ultras filtering ability but I was unaware of the by-pass design being inferior.
Thanks Caterham.

You're welcome Clevy.
Yes the filter media is good and in practice the inferior design works well enough particularly if the filter is changed frequently as most debris gets caught and retained within the media so there shouldn't be much debris dislodged as unfiltered oil flows over the dirty outside of the media or will be found at the bottom of the can.
But if you want the best go with a better by-pass arrangement.

Except that Wix uses a cheap bypass combo valve that opens when it's not supposed to. Ever wonder why their synthetic filters can't beat 50% efficient at 20 microns? The bypass valve!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Except that Wix uses a cheap bypass combo valve that opens when it's not supposed to. Ever wonder why their synthetic filters can't beat 50% efficient at 20 microns? The bypass valve!

Motorcraft filters look really nice inside. I use them on all Fords that I care for...

FordGT40_zpsd3247910.jpg

Something about the Wix bypass valve which makes it different than the others. Motorcraft and M1 are able to achieve better results with their similar valve. Wix just decided to throw their bargain basement bypass valve into a top dollar synthetic media. Although if you take apart the Wix the media is still pretty thing, although it's capable of more without the downfall of shared parts syndrome.

901Memphis, I don't know what you're talking about with the WIX filter. The valve is at the top of the can so when open the oil will not pass over the dirty media into the engine.
The efficiency of the media has nothing to do with the by-pass arrangement. As far as the company advertized efficiency, I take those figures with a grain of salt.

I've used both the WIX XP and Mobil filters. The WIX uses 100% synthetic media with the wire mesh support. The Mobil media is a synthetic blend without the wire support. The Mobil filter is heavier. WIX is less expensive to buy.
They are both quality filters.
My preference for my application is WIX XP.

I understand your confusion but I can assure you the flaw is the bypass valve arrangement. It's a combination bypass/adbv and bypasses when it's supposed to be filtering under the ISO 4548-12 process. If the valve is opening it's not passing the media it's unfiltered! Wix does this test themselves and only gets 50% efficiency, it's a fact.

Why you would prefer a filter at 50% efficiency at 20 microns is beyond me when there are filters up to 99.5% efficient at 20 microns.

Have you dissected the Wix XP and compared them against the Fram Ultra or an Amsoil filter? The media in the Wix is by far the thinnest and cheapest donaldson is making for any of the filter companies. Fram Ultra uses good thickness dual layer synthetic media and Amsoil uses a thick single layer both achieving similar ratings with different approaches, Wix uses a thin single layer, another very small reason why the efficiency is lower but not as much as the bypass combo issues.

I see you've done some research into this and I appreciate your comments.
I've had the by-pass valve pop and remain open on a clogged filter and the result was an immediate and permanent drop in oil pressure until a new filter was installed.
The filter by-pass valve will open in any filter for a second or so when an engine is first started due to the momentary pressure differential across the filter but that's generally it.
I haven't noticed any fluctuations in oil pressure in using the WIX filter unless it's a quality control issue.
I agree the WIX filter media is thin.

Again thanks for your insights and I just might switch back to M1 for the next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back