No reading on dipstick. Amsoil 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Low oil is an issue regardless of what you might think.
If a 5 quart sump is a quart low that's 20% low,which means the interval requires shortening by 20% at the very least.
I'm in awe here. And now I understand all I've read and heard.
If there's no idiot lights on drive on right?
Hillarious

When its down a quart, you simply put a quart in. Simple.
Do you get it now?
Your posts all this time have shown me you might not understand common sense.

Originally Posted By: route66mike
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Low oil is an issue regardless of what you might think.
If a 5 quart sump is a quart low that's 20% low,which means the interval requires shortening by 20% at the very least.
I'm in awe here. And now I understand all I've read and heard.
If there's no idiot lights on drive on right?
Hillarious

When its down a quart, you simply put a quart in. Simple.
Do you get it now?
Your posts all this time have shown me you might not understand common sense.

How would you know it's a qt. low with no dipstick to check? One loose wire or burnt out light bulb and you wouldn't know its low.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
How would you know it's a qt. low with no dipstick to check? One loose wire or burnt out light bulb and you wouldn't know its low.
ROD

The sensors are monitored. If they fail, you'll know it. Its called BIT, "Built In Test". My BMW will even tell me when a license plate light bulb is out, for just one example, from a simple voltage drop test. Warning lights on cars don't use dashboard bulbs anymore, BTW, as you imply, they typically use LCD or LED warning arrays.

Also, BMWs show you the level itself on the dash viewscreen to an accuracy of 1/6 quart if you want to monitor a trend. No dipstick needed. ... Of course if there was a dipstick for backup, you could check it every other month to be double sure. Most car makes with simpler threshold level sensors won't tell you if you're only half a quart down, but they are monitored by the engine computer itself for failure to work properly, like BMWs.

Change the oil and filter. Put in the correct amount of 20W-50 oil plus a can of STP. Sell it to your local used car dealer before the weather cools.

Wow, how this thread has developed. I have learned some things for sure. But I don't agree with BMW's approach that there is no manual way to check the oil in a $6000+ engine.

Either way, the vehicle owner/driver needs to know what the indicators on their dash are telling them.

The bottom line to this thread is simple.

A mileage claim by Amsoil, Mobil-1, or anyone doesn't mean that the oil level doesn't need checking. What ever car brand you choose, or oil brand you choose, check the oil on a regular basis.

Changed out PCV car is still losing oil. I still have to add 1-3 quarts of oil.
Car runs fine

I have found it quite interesting, on this an other forums, how many do not do regular engine oil checks. My personal vehicles gets checked every few days, and the commercial stuff each and every day. How difficult is it to pop the hood and pull a dip stick?

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro

Wrong. Newer vehicles from GM, and other makes, now have oil level sensors. (You're talking about the pressure sensors, a different animal.) BMWs have had an oil level sensor, either just a threshold low sensor or graduated levels, for about 14 years now.

I hear that they malfunction and a few owner trusting them burned their engines.

Coming back to the OP, 4 words for you:

castrol-use-your-dipstick.jpg

Originally Posted By: wjason777
Car runs fine
Try a high mileage oil such as Valvoline Maxlife, either in the recommended 5W20 or 5W30 weight-if the oil burning doesn't decrease A LOT-trade it in, you're well on the way to fouling the catalytic converter & you probably have ring & bearing problems. If you had bad valve seals/guides there would be a blue cloud after starting overnight.

Car does not run fine. If you are eating as much oil as you say you are then the car has issues.

Of course your information is quite vague so it's a bit hard to tell what exactly is going on. What do you mean "1-3 quarts of oil", is it one or three? And how many miles?

Car runs fine

Car runs fine

Are we referring to the charger in your sig. If so that's an insane amount of consumption. I've got the same car,but older and mine consumes nothing.
Is the exhaust black,are you leaking out the oil. Is there a check engine light on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back