"every man should know how to drive a stick"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to think this way. Now I don't care if anyone knows how to drive a manual- I know very few people who do and my grandkids might never see one!

ref

My dad taught me to drive stick when I was 16 on his 1947 Lincoln V-12 sedan. My first car was a '97 Saturn and bought it with a stick. The last CR-V and the Traverse are automagic, which I prefer when facing daily stop-go traffic, but the MG still keeps me in practice.

My boys will learn to drive a manual trans, complete with rev matching, not to be "manly", but it may be handy to know sometime for them in their travels.
Or if someone offers them the chance to drive a nice manual car, they won't have to decline. I sure would've been [censored] at myself if I only drove autos when I got to drive a Viper...

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Is it just me, or is learning manliness tips from a website called "The Art of Manliness" just about the most un-manly thing on earth?

Is this what the world is coming to? Manliness tips from a website? Cosmo for guys...

Honestly....it's just a title to get your attention. Not to be taken literally. It's odd that you don't see that. When mentioned before on Bitog, some folks took it as literally as well when it's obvious it is just a helpful guide.

It's a great site full of time-honored ideas that men have been practicing for generations. Simple things that can assist us in skills or expected habits that many of us could use some solid info on. Lots of men raised today without fathers as well...it's helpful....not a bible.

Cosmo for boys? Not even close. Pick up an issue of "Esquire" magazine or "GQ" for that type of nonsense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
My wife has no real interest to learn to drive a manual transmission. She claims an automatic with paddle shifters is the best of both worlds. I point out she's never really known firsthand one of those worlds.

Are you sleeping on the couch now?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
My wife has no real interest to learn to drive a manual transmission. She claims an automatic with paddle shifters is the best of both worlds. I point out she's never really known firsthand one of those worlds.

Are you sleeping on the couch now?
smile.gif

yup, he is experiencing the lesser world FIRSTHAND.

That would be like learning how to use a typewriter present day. The manual transmission is on life support and it's just a matter of time before it's gone.

On a serious note, my wife and I both know how because we have a 4 cylinder m/t vehicle and will probably buy another one before they are gone.

Last edited:
I learned to use a slide rule in college mainly for fun by our engineering professors. Pretty neat!

The same professor spent some time teaching us Lotus 123 to work our calculations.

Take the driving test with a "stick"? Next thing you know they will be required to take the test with the climate control turned off, along with the cooled/heated seats. What you're advocating is a very primitive kind of driving test. To mimic real world driving these teenagers should be required to parallel park while texting. And the girls should be graded on their ability to do their makeup while sitting at a stop light. The real lesson for new drivers should be that 10 feet is not enough separation between vehicles at 80 miles per hour on the freeway at rush hour while texting.

I was in the last batch of kids in Texas eligible for a driver's license at age 14 w/driver's ed, and learned to drive at age 13 on: a 1958 Ford pickup, 3-on-the-tree, wimpy 6-cyl engine, highway cruiser high-speed(low numeric ratio) rear end, had been converted to 3/4 ton wheels & tires(16.5" dia IIRC, taller than reg 15" tires, hence effectively geared even higher!),on the ore roads around the local iron ore strip mines. I sure didn't learn much about acceleration
grin2.gif
, but if you wanted a kid that could go from a standing start uphill with no rollback, I was the guy!
thankyou2.gif

Dad made sure I was very well versed on the old pickup before I ever got to drive the current family car at the time- a 1960 Ford Galaxie w/352ci V8 & auto trans. First car we ever had with air conditioning!

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Is it just me, or is learning manliness tips from a website called "The Art of Manliness" just about the most un-manly thing on earth?

Is this what the world is coming to? Manliness tips from a website? Cosmo for guys...

My thoughts as well.
grin.gif

I love manuals, but I know why they are becoming obsolete. I don't drive a manual because I think it's "cool", I drive it because i enjoy the control, that's it.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
A chimpanzee can learn how to drive a manual transmission .

That's what I usually say to manual guys on other forums that think only people that drive manuals know how to drive, or that it's so technical, when in reality you can learn in 5 minutes. LOL

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
A real man decides for himself what is important and doesn't give a rat's patootie what some blogger says he should do.

This is where I'm at. No offense intended, but why should anyone care?

I grew up shifting my mother's british sports cars from the passenger seat at 8 years old. Drove tractors on Papa's farm with multi stick trans and rear end shifters. Drove forklifts in a marina so big they had a POWER clutch pedal. Basically drove anything I could get a key for.

My "manliness" has not been diminished by having an automatic!
No it is not that the vehicle you are driving has an auto or a manual. It is do you KNOW how to drive a manual. Seems you do know how to operate a manual. You are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back