2014 silverado oil issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

OW40 is suitable for hard track use, but not for the new DI truck engines. GM's statement in the owner's manual is not vague at all. Here it is!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner's manual states:

Viscosity Grade
SAE 0W-20 is the best viscosity
grade for the 5.3L and 6.2L
V8 engines. SAE 5W-30 is the best
viscosity grade for the 4.3L V6, and
6.0L V8 engines. Do not use other
viscosity grade oils such as
SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.
Cold Temperature Operation: In an
area of extreme cold, where the
temperature falls below -29°C
(-20°F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be
used in the 4.3L or 6.0L engine. An
oil of this viscosity grade will provide
easier cold starting for the engine at
extremely low temperatures. When
selecting an oil of the appropriate
viscosity grade, always select an oil
of the correct specification. See
“Specification” earlier in this section
for more information.

Here is the link to the info, scroll to page 10-12 for verification. I am very well versed in how GM does things.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Che...ners-manual.pdf

That doesn't say anything about it causing damage though or narrow oil passages. Ford has similar statements about running 5w-20 in the Modular and then spec'd 5w-50 for the Track Pack version of the same engine, LOL.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

OW40 is suitable for hard track use, but not for the new DI truck engines. GM's statement in the owner's manual is not vague at all. Here it is!

Viscosity Grade
for more information.

Here is the link to the info, scroll to page 10-12 for verification. I am very well versed in how GM does things.

That doesn't say anything about it causing damage though or narrow oil passages. Ford has similar statements about running 5w-20 in the Modular and then spec'd 5w-50 for the Track Pack version of the same engine, LOL.

I found the narrow passage info on GM's new truck engines through research. I will find the links and post them for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lex94
"Then how would they work in Alaska?"

smile.gif
The engines will explode north of Bismarck. Everyone knows that.

One would have to be a fool to buy this truck with it's small oil passages
smile.gif

I think GM has tested their trucks and these new engines in all climates to ensure it's safe to use in all types of everyday use.

Exactly, which means they cannot, by definition, be as sensitive to viscosity as you think they are, as per my earlier point about the viscosity/temperature relationship.

Note that I'm not advocating running a heavier oil in these engines, I think it would be of absolutely no benefit. But it won't do damage, if it did, as I mentioned, they would literally self destruct when started in a Canadian winter or Alaska, as the 0w-20, at those temperatures, is massively heavier.

Also, there were similar statements made about VCT in the Dodge engines (and the Ford engines) and they ended up being bogus for the same reason. These parts cannot be as viscosity sensitive as many think they are because viscosity is so temperature dependant.

Also, there were similar statements made about VCT in the Dodge engines (and the Ford engines) and they ended up being bogus for the same reason. These parts cannot be as viscosity sensitive as many think they are because viscosity is so temperature dependant.

^^^That is worth repeating.^^^

I don't know anything about the fancy new stuff, but I ran 10w30 year round for countless tens of thousands of miles in older GM vehicles spec'd for 5w30 without the slightest issue, just as you'd expect.

Not advocating the OP change anything, stick with the manual for warranty and glad to hear GM may actually give a flip. Every Silverado I've ever been in was a mighty nice truck.

Exactly, which means they cannot, by definition, be as sensitive to viscosity as you think they are, as per my earlier point about the viscosity/temperature relationship.

Note that I'm not advocating running a heavier oil in these engines, I think it would be of absolutely no benefit. But it won't do damage, if it did, as I mentioned, they would literally self destruct when started in a Canadian winter or Alaska, as the 0w-20, at those temperatures, is massively heavier.

I went over to the Amsoil oil selector page and punched in 2014 Camaro for all three engine types:

3.6L, 6.2L, and 7.0L. For every engine type, they recommend 5W-30 for all temps above 0 degrees F. Anything below 0 degrees F, they recommend 0W-30.

Isn't the 3.6L V6 supposed to be direct injection?
smile.gif

By the way, my automatic spell check says you misspelled
dependent.
grin2.gif

This was a huge issue back in 05 with the Chrysler community regarding MDS. Everyone was screaming about how your engine would blow up if you didn't use 20w oil.

All false, as engines of virtually any design are remarkably tolerant of oil choice.

Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I found this website looking for advise on my new 2014 silverado I purchased in August. My truck has the 5.3 engine and my issue is excessive oil consumption. My truck calls for 0-20 oil and it's using about a quart per 900 miles. The dealer said this is normal and the engine is still breaking in. I have 4200 miles on the truck and this just seems excessive to me. It just drive it for commuting I haven't towed at all and haven't even hauled a heady load in the bed yet. Any advise would be appreciated. I'm sick over this I paid $35000 for this truck and I saved for years trying to afford a new truck. Thank you

The engine is probably not broken in yet, so it might be a little premature to over react right now. Having said that what you got was a typical dealer reply. If the engine had 20K miles on it the reply would have been exactly the same. In fact if it was using a qt./600 miles the reply would be the exactly same regarding the consumption. Still I would escalate this to a higher level in GM corporate and be sure it is documented so if it gets worse they'll hopefully act on it.

My gut tells me a 0W30 or 5W30 would be a better choice of oil, but since you have a warranty stay with the recommended grade until you get this sorted out [hopefully sorted out].

Did you check to make sure it was actually full when you left the dealership at 4000 miles? My buddy, who is a master tech at a local Chevy dealer, tells me they have had zero oil consumption issues with the new trucks using 0W-20. The problem they have is some of the younger techs are only putting 6 qts of oil in the 8 quart sump. (improper training) They use AC-Delco blend Dexos1 OW-20 in quart bottles. The only oil they use in bulk is 5W-30 - two storage tanks - one with Dexos and the other regular SN dino.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

[font:Verdana]I went over to the Amsoil oil selector page and punched in 2014 Camaro for all three engine types:

3.6L, 6.2L, and 7.0L. For every engine type, they recommend 5W-30 for all temps above 0 degrees F. Anything below 0 degrees F, they recommend 0W-30.

Isn't the 3.6L V6 supposed to be direct injection?
smile.gif

Just a technical point: the 6.2L and 7.0L engines in the 2014 Camaro are still Gen IV. Yes, the 3.6L V6 is DI.

Viscosity Grade
for more information.

Surprisingly enough, the 2014 Corvette Owner's Manual recommends M1 15w50 for Racing and Track Days. This is the Gen V DI LT1 engine. The 4.3 V6 is also a Gen V DI engine, but it is specified for 5w30. I presume the fact that it is a small displacement engine in a full-size truck has something to do with the 5w30 oil spec. The 6.0L engine is a Gen IV port injection engine.

Just fine. The 0W20 oil is super thin. Just like water. GM admonishes against running thicker oil in their DI truck engines. The oil passages are very narrow and the 0W20 oil is thin enough to flow through properly.

It is apparent that you don't quite understand the concept of viscosity. ALL oil gets thicker as the temperature drops. No oil is super thin at -40C. A 0w-20 is probably 1000x thicker at -40 than a 20w-50 is at 100C.

Actually, let's do some math:

Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 has an MRV of 9,200cP at -40C. Mobil 1 0w-40 has an MRV of 31,000cP at -40C. Applying the doubling rule, the 0w-40 is 7,750cp (approximately) at -30C, thinner than the 0w-20 is at -40C. Viscosity changes massively at very cold temperatures. If you are in Alaska starting your Silverado at -40C, you are starting it with an oil that is significantly heavier than even the heaviest 20w-50 in more moderate temperatures. If what you posit was in fact the case, the engines would literally self destruct when run in cold climates.

One thing you left out of your analysis, most folks in Alaska, especially in the interior where it regularly reaches -40F to -50F in the winter, use oil pan heaters along with block heaters and battery blanket heaters. So the discussion is nice from an academic standpoint, but not really the issue in reality. I lived in the Alaskan interior for 10 years. I have a firm grasp on what we did there. And that was back before all the latest and greatest synthetics were a regular part of the market place.

It is amazing how well a vehicle, even diesel, will start at -50F like it is only +50F outside when you do the things we did. But then, Alaskans are a resourceful bunch.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Did you check to make sure it was actually full when you left the dealership at 4000 miles? My buddy, who is a master tech at a local Chevy dealer, tells me they have had zero oil consumption issues with the new trucks using 0W-20. The problem they have is some of the younger techs are only putting 6 qts of oil in the 8 quart sump. (improper training)

This is highly likely, our GM fleet trucks have been 6 quarts nearly forever...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Viscosity Grade
for more information.

Surprisingly enough, the 2014 Corvette Owner's Manual recommends M1 15w50 for Racing and Track Days. This is the Gen V DI LT1 engine. The 4.3 V6 is also a Gen V DI engine, but it is specified for 5w30. I presume the fact that it is a small displacement engine in a full-size truck has something to do with the 5w30 oil spec. The 6.0L engine is a Gen IV port injection engine.

The Corvette spec is VERY interesting! Kind've like what my FSM states,use 10w30 for fuel economy,10w40-20w50 for sustained high speeds and racing. Proof right there that thicker oils provide better protection.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

One thing you left out of your analysis, most folks in Alaska, especially in the interior where it regularly reaches -40F to -50F in the winter, use oil pan heaters along with block heaters and battery blanket heaters. So the discussion is nice from an academic standpoint, but not really the issue in reality. I lived in the Alaskan interior for 10 years. I have a firm grasp on what we did there. And that was back before all the latest and greatest synthetics were a regular part of the market place.

It is amazing how well a vehicle, even diesel, will start at -50F like it is only +50F outside when you do the things we did. But then, Alaskans are a resourceful bunch.

True. However GM can't rely on what most people might do. I had to start the Expedition last year at -30C, with no block heater, because I was at a hotel in Quebec. Just like folks in Alaska and even in Canada in places like Edmonton, Fort Mac, Winterpeg....etc may find themselves in a situation where plugging in simply is not a possibility.

It would be a necessity to make it a part of the durability testing for the engine.

But we don't even need to go to those extremes to make my point. Even at 0C, a 0w-20 is massively heavier than 20w-50 at your normal summer start-up temperatures.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

This was a huge issue back in 05 with the Chrysler community regarding MDS. Everyone was screaming about how your engine would blow up if you didn't use 20w oil.

All false, as engines of virtually any design are remarkably tolerant of oil choice.

Exactly.
When these threads pop up all I think about is -35c and how thick a 20 grade is at that temp,and why all the system's seem to work just fine,yet people believe that in warmer weather using a 40 grade for example will actually be thinner at start up then a 20 grade in -35 ambient temps.
So I'm unconvinced that a thicker oil is somehow going to cause problems.
Yes todays 20 grades are proving themselves as I've not seen any dissolved engines but I seriously doubt any harm comes to an engine using a thicker oil.

Just a technical point: the 6.2L and 7.0L engines in the 2014 Camaro are still Gen IV. Yes, the 3.6L V6 is DI.

Does that mean the 6.2L and the 7.0L are still multi-port fuel injected?

Yes, the owner's manual is where this info can be found. Historically as far back as the late 80's and early 90's GM has not run any oil thicker than 5W30 due to failures from running thicker oils during R&D testing.

That was an artifact of the poor 10w-40s available at the time, not an engine issue. 10w-30 was also allowed back then.

Quote:
Do not use other viscosity grade oils such as

GM divisions have been using that exact wording since at least the early 1980s, with the "10w-30" part being missing earlier on.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Does that mean the 6.2L and the 7.0L are still multi-port fuel injected?

Yes, the L99 and LS3 are the Gen IV 6.2L's, and the LS7 in the Z28 is port injected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back