New computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family member is paying me to build this one, so I can't keep it, but I thought I would share it anyways.
computer-1014.jpg

There was a last minute change from W7HP to 8.1 Pro.
I have everything new but the OS. Well, I have the W7, but I have to wait now for 8.1 to come in. Im still gonna put it together in the meantime.

Last edited:
Looks like a classic gamer build.
Curious why the change to Win 8.1. We have 8.1 on a laptop and I have ordered Win 7 to "downgrade" it. Hate 8.1 - yes, hate it.
The newer Geforce video cards look to be very good, again why not go with the 970 or 980?
Just installed my i7-4790, sweet processor, purrs at 4.5 Ghz right now under a Be Quiet heat sink.
Your family member should be very happy with this build.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Looks like a classic gamer build.
Curious why the change to Win 8.1. We have 8.1 on a laptop and I have ordered Win 7 to "downgrade" it. Hate 8.1 - yes, hate it.
The newer Geforce video cards look to be very good, again why not go with the 970 or 980?
Just installed my i7-4790, sweet processor, purrs at 4.5 Ghz right now under a Be Quiet heat sink.
Your family member should be very happy with this build.

I hate 8 as well; the switch to 8 was done 'per request'.
The GTX770 was used as I based it on another machine he was looking at. Also, budget. I was at the limit as it was. As I told him, SLI is fully possible with this setup so he can always add another to get more juice if need be. I have a suspicion he has a 1080P monitor anyways which isnt very taxing these days; only really need more juice for multi-monitor and 4K HD.

Most gamers choose the i5 for cost savings as the bottleneck is the ram and graphics card and games don't show the performance bump. i7 would be a better choice for encoding, compression, encryption, etc.

How much does a unit like this cost? Were needing a computer and im thinking about building my own. Did a rough build out this past weekend and was $450 but it wasn't near the specs of this build out.

you could easily downgrade the psu that system wont draw more than 500W even in the meanest benchmarks.

840pro ssd are 135$ currently might be a better space to spend a few $$$ than the psu.

the listed psu is 160$ after MIR = 145$

this antec 550w 80+ PLATINUM for 89$ would be sufficient
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371055

if trying to save $$$
seasonic 550w GOld
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151126

or this CORSAIR RM Series RM650 650W
which is 99-10$-20mir = 69$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139054

as mentioned going with the I5-4590 is another way to balance the system or save a few $$$ if over budget.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
A family member is paying me to build this one, so I can't keep it, but I thought I would share it anyways.
computer-1014.jpg

There was a last minute change from W7HP to 8.1 Pro.
I have everything new but the OS. Well, I have the W7, but I have to wait now for 8.1 to come in. Im still gonna put it together in the meantime.

Whats it for?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The aftermarket CPU cooler is pretty unnecessary...

the stock cooler is a joke esp. if you are going to do any overclocking

should be able to hit 4-4.4ghz with a decent cooler.

not that you really need to overclock it but my sandybridge i5-2500k has been at 4.4ghz for 3 years now.
(stock 3.3) I have a corsair h100 cooler. it fits very nice in my corsair 650D case.

oh and that videocard is badly overpriced. 770's start around 220-230$

I actually like most of the parts but they arent fully balanced or price optimized.

If I was just picking off a list without knowing exact prices the only thing I would change is the psu and possibly the cpu.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
How much does a unit like this cost? Were needing a computer and im thinking about building my own. Did a rough build out this past weekend and was $450 but it wasn't near the specs of this build out.

I paid $1500 for everything. Im charging $1700 for it, but Im hand delivering it 4 hours out, so Im not making anything on this build.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Most gamers choose the i5 for cost savings as the bottleneck is the ram and graphics card and games don't show the performance bump. i7 would be a better choice for encoding, compression, encryption, etc.

I actually did recommend the i5-4590 to bring the cost down; this is how he wanted it built.

Originally Posted By: Rand
you could easily downgrade the psu that system wont draw more than 500W even in the meanest benchmarks.

840pro ssd are 135$ currently might be a better space to spend a few $$$ than the psu.

Im aware. I wanted to have overage available for SLI with another GTX770 later, if required.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The aftermarket CPU cooler is pretty unnecessary...

Yes, however, only $40. I read that the stock cooler can get loud under load. I told him it was unnecessary but recommended it on those grounds.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Whats it for?

Gaming.

Originally Posted By: Rand

oh and that videocard is badly overpriced. 770's start around 220-230$

It is now. It has gone up about $60 from when I bought it.

Last edited:
Not a bad build, but like others have said, I would've went with an i5 as well.

I like the G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 1600 Memory a lot, although I would've went for the low voltage models. I had that exact RAM an it was nice with my Sandy.

I had the same exact case, they're good cases. I would've went for a Corsair PSU, just my preference.

I probably would've scaled back on the chip to a higher end i5, lower PSU (not by much), then bought two WD10EZEX 1TB Blue drives and threw them in RAID 0 for games/large software installs. I did this for about a year on my Sandy and the RAID 0 performed very well.

...and I hate doing work for family. You're building this rig based off of their wants/picks, then installing the OS + drivers, tweaking it, fixing any potential stupid oddities that accompany new builds then hand-delivering it 4 hours away for only $200!

I don't mean to be a "don't help your family out" kind of guy, I genuinely would, but... I personally would not put my time into something like that. Hope you break even and don't spend any of your $$$ in this process. I can understand the wanting to be cordial, help family, etc. - but I have been down the road of family wanting everything under the sun because you're related.

Last edited:
Watch the fan on the Hyper 212. Mine made it about 2 years before [censored] out, and I had to replace it. Other than that, the only thing I wonder is why you went with the 850W PSU. Unless he maybe plans to do SLI in the future, he would have been better served by a good gold rated 500-650W unit.

Originally Posted By: redhat

I probably would've scaled back on the chip to a higher end i5, lower PSU (not by much), then bought two WD10EZEX 1TB Blue drives and threw them in RAID 0 for games/large software installs. I did this for about a year on my Sandy and the RAID 0 performed very well.

Ive had bad luck with Fake RAIDs in the past with random drive drops (good drive that drops out of the array for no decernable reason) that resulted in multiple total data loss events. This is on both AMD and Intel setups. I won't touch them with a ten foot pole.
The only thing I trust low cost wise is a mdraid or similar on Linux. On my main box with W7 I have a $400 Adaptec hardware RAID card.
Like, for servers.

I've done RAID 0 with Intel RST with many different systems over the years without any problems. It is by far not the greatest RAID solution, but I have been very satisfied with its performance/dependability. It is not a mission critical solution. I think the key is good drives, no green drives (I'm looking at you WD Green), good power and good SATA cables.

Monthly backups to my Drobo have been more than enough to satisfy my need for data safety, that and no super important data was ever written to the RAID 0 array.

...and I hate doing work for family. You're building this rig based off of their wants/picks, then installing the OS + drivers, tweaking it, fixing any potential stupid oddities that accompany new builds then hand-delivering it 4 hours away for only $200!

I don't mean to be a "don't help your family out" kind of guy, I genuinely would, but... I personally would not put my time into something like that. Hope you break even and don't spend any of your $$$ in this process. I can understand the wanting to be cordial, help family, etc. - but I have been down the road of family wanting everything under the sun because you're related.

Truth is, Im bored and it seemed like a fun project. Its been several years since I last built a machine, let alone anything of this caliber.
Ill give anyone a chance. If they screw it up though, I wont deal with them again.

I've done RAID 0 with Intel RST with many different systems over the years without any problems. It is by far not the greatest RAID solution, but I have been very satisfied with its performance/dependability. It is not a mission critical solution. I think the key is good drives, no green drives (I'm looking at you WD Green), good power and good SATA cables.

Monthly backups to my Drobo have been more than enough to satisfy my need for data safety, that and no super important data was ever written to the RAID 0 array.

I cannot guarantee that he would take the same precautions. Anyway you slice it, a RAID 0 has twice the chance to fail over a single drive. The SSD should cure any speed needs.

computer_built1014.JPG

Got the hardware in and wired up. Really happy with how it turned out. Ive never built a system this clean before. I usually just toss everything in and as long as nothing is getting in any fans, thats good enough for me.
Usually Im in it enough, that making it all clean is just likely to get in the way; Also, Im lazy and don't give a [censored].

But, since this is for someone else, I wanted to take the extra effort.

Quite a processor he's getting......surprised he didn't want an ssd for gaming though.

google reviews

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6672001137517701125/reviews?q=i7+4790k+haswell&client=firefox&hs=JrP&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:eek:fficial&channel=sb&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.77880786,d.aWw&biw=1920&bih=920&tch=1&ech=1&psi=foxKVJeJJcOdygTMt4H4DA.1414171775631.3&sa=X&ei=p4xKVLieI86xyAS634KwCQ&ved=0CHMQqSQ

edit
I see he did go with an ssd, it shouldn't tap out now....

Last edited:
Looks good, reminds me of mine! Sadly, many of the components have gone to the electronic graveyard in the sky. I might re-build it.

X862Y1H.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back