KIA and Honda 0 or 5/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you ever use a 5w oil whern you can use a 0w oil? There is nowhere in the US, probably nowhere in the world where a 0w or 5w oil viscosity is even close to ideal for start up.

I stand corrected. 0w20 does state 'in vehicles where SAE 0w20 or 5w20 motor oil is recommended.' My apologies as it is right on the back of the jug, but not on the quart bottle. Either way, great stuff.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
I stand corrected. 0w20 does state 'in vehicles where SAE 0w20 or 5w20 motor oil is recommended.' My apologies as it is right on the back of the jug, but not on the quart bottle.

I knew I wasn't going crazy
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: wemay
I stand corrected. 0w20 does state 'in vehicles where SAE 0w20 or 5w20 motor oil is recommended.' My apologies as it is right on the back of the jug, but not on the quart bottle.

I knew I wasn't going crazy
wink.gif

Lol, sorry about that.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Why would you ever use a 5w oil whern you can use a 0w oil? There is nowhere in the US, probably nowhere in the world where a 0w or 5w oil viscosity is even close to ideal for start up.

This can't be stated enough, in my opinion. Ideally, we'd have an oil that's MUCH thinner than even 0W-20 at startup (even with hot ambient temperatures)...we just don't have those oils available to us at this point, and 0W-20 is as good as it gets at an economical price point. 5W-20 "works", sure, but it's less ideal than 0W-20, which is already far thicker than we really want.

Although we are splitting hairs, maybe I will stick with the 0w20 in the Sonata. I wouldn't recommend this to the OP though since I have an aversion for recommending anything that isnt listed as acceptable by the warrantied vehicle (KIA), even if I believe the mfr wouldn't take issue and oil related failures are exceedingly rare.

Last edited:
Warranty fear is a joke.

My recommendation is any brand 0w20 current spec full synthetic.

Also note that any current spec 5w20 full synth will work great too.

No need to stock multiple grades.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Warranty fear is a joke.

My recommendation is any brand 0w20 current spec full synthetic.

Also note that any current spec 5w20 full synth will work great too.

No need to stock multiple grades.

I'm leaning more and more towards this belief

Easy to say when it's not your warranty on the line.
coffee2.gif

Frankly this 0w20 craze is getting entirely out of hand. I guess it's a miracle all those cars we drove for years back in the day even made it out of the driveway on the 10w40 we used year round. In South Dakota by the way. Brrr....

Had a 04 kia sedona with 82000 miles that developed an engine problem. I did all oil
changes. No records of any kind. Dealer never asked for any. Engine repaired
at no cost under warranty. Problem was not oil related. When I limped in to
dealership, they did take samples of the fluids.

Originally Posted By: oilslick44
Had a 04 kia sedona with 82000 miles that developed an engine problem. I did all oil
changes. No records of any kind. Dealer never asked for any. Engine repaired
at no cost under warranty. Problem was not oil related. When I limped in to
dealership, they did take samples of the fluids.

Well yeah... It was an 04 Kia Sedona...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Frankly this 0w20 craze is getting entirely out of hand. I guess it's a miracle all those cars we drove for years back in the day even made it out of the driveway on the 10w40 we used year round. In South Dakota by the way. Brrr....

It's really no miracle. Most cars today would work just fine on 10W-40. That doesn't mean that it's the most optimal choice given the oil we have today...but it would work.

Concerning warranties, at least in the US, Warranty cannot be voided simply because a viscosity not listed in a manual was used. OEM has to prove that the oil caused the failure.

Look at this way. 0w-20 vs 5w-20 means what? It means the 0w-20 will flow slightly better, and create less resistance at cold start than a 5w-20. At operating tempurature, they are the same.

Use 0w in both.

going to finish up the ACD I had for the 01 Blazer on the KIA and then stock 0/20 for both.
got a deal on dozen Honda filters($4 each), so I'm good to go there.
thanks for all the input.

Okay, so you can either use different oils in each vehicle or use the same oil. You don't want to use different oils so the question becomes using a 0w-20 in both, or a 5w-20 in both.

I'd say to use M1 0w-20 in both, and keep your receipts and records organized in the very rare chance you ever need to use them.

Here's my reasoning for that: Mobil says you can use 0w-20 anywhere 5w-20 is called for, Mobil also has an excellent warranty any time you're using an M1 product and the issue can be traced to their product. So let's say there's something major with the Kia's engine that needs to be repaired under warranty, Kia then asks for your records to prove oil changes and routine maintenance was done. You have you records available and give them a copy of them. One of two things then happens, 1) they repair it under warranty, or 2) they try to deny it because a 0w oil was used. Obviously the first one is ideal, but let's say the second one happens. They will have to show how using a 0w oil caused the problem. Proving the 0w oil caused the problem means the item is covered under the M1 warranty, so you can recoup the cost of the repairs from Mobil because you've always used M1 and no other oil can be blamed.

However, this all works in theory, in real life it's probably a nightmare jumping through all the hoops to get either one of them to acknowledge it should be repaired under their warranty.

So this leaves you with deciding if you want the mild inconvenience of keeping track of two different oil types during the course of the warranty periods. Or a major inconvenience that occurs only once in the extremely unlikely event that a major warranty repair needs to be done on the Kia (since I suggest using 0w-20, you don't have to worry about the Honda warranty).

If this were my vehicle, I'd use M1 0w-20 for the reason stated above. You may decided otherwise based on what you're comfortable with.

Is there any engine failure related to wrong oil weight (5W20 to 0W20 or vice versa) during warranty period ?

I know there are some engine failures related to oil, the ones that never had oil change in 30-40k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back