Ebola Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I just read the doctor in New York has ebola. I thought the ebola "fever" was calming down. Here we go again.

since it's New York City, this will be on the news day and night for the next two weeks!

+1 Lets see how this plays out.....Actually I'm surprised it took this long to reach NY.

As a side note Paul Allen of MSFT fame is donating $100 million to build Ebola containment centers. I didn't here where they will be built though.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Originally Posted By: Shannow
My wife brought up a facebook quote that I thought pertinent...

You are more likely to have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died of Ebola if you are a US citizen...seeing as she seems into blokes, the odds are twice as good.

So by that logic, it's Barry's fault that I'm not married to Kim.

On the other hand i think i rather get Ebola then be married to the big backside.

Ooops......I used the wrong "here". LOL Yesterday was a long day, and today is setting itself up to be worse..

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

As a side note Paul Allen of MSFT fame is donating $100 million to build Ebola containment centers. I didn't "here" where they will be built though.

Originally Posted By: Trav

You are more likely to have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died of Ebola if you are a US citizen...seeing as she seems into blokes, the odds are twice as good.

So by that logic, it's Barry's fault that I'm not married to Kim.

On the other hand i think i rather get Ebola then be married to the big backside.

LOL you got that right.

I'm not concerned at all right now, but if it's not taken care of in Africa, then I'll start to think more about it. What is alarming to some is the exponential jump in growth with this virus.

This is from Nassim Taleb

"EBOLA. You need to focus on growth rate, not number of victims --in other words the 2nd order, not first order effect, the nonlinearity.
---
Something that doubles every 24 days multiplies by 37,000 every year. The doubling period is 15-20 days in Liberia. So the idea proposed by Yaneer Bar Yam is to slow it down in the place of origin. You can't rely on the medical establishment here to screen properly (too risky). And you want to avoid having ebola spread out of Africa too much before the winter up North when epidemics grow faster, and avoid having consumers panicking ahead of the Christmas season as they become agoraphobic.]
This should be familiar to people here as it is the same nonlinearity behind fragility and antifragility.
Naive evidentiary methods lead people to focus on death rate (which is lower than mortality from hitting one's own furniture) and deem overreaction or even concern to be "irrational". But these rates do not grow exponentially. These are the same evidentiary idiots who refused to see financial risks in 2007."

You are more likely to have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died of Ebola if you are a US citizen...

No doubt the feeling is mutual
wink.gif

As far as public panic is concerned it is too late to
control that. The economy is going to take a huge hit if this gets even a bit more serious.

I have heard lots of folks even seasoned travelers saying that they will NOT be taking planes. I think the airlines could go under eventually.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
As far as public panic is concerned it is too late to
control that. The economy is going to take a huge hit if this gets even a bit more serious.

I have heard lots of folks even seasoned travelers saying that they will NOT be taking planes. I think the airlines could go under eventually.
Depending on how they lobby the government the taxpayer will most likely bail them out. Or a Chinese company will get a good deal.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Ever notice how many people "mostly men" spit in public these days?

That's the most disgusting habit! At times, I feel compelled to slap the people upside the head.
Agree with all.

liers figure and figures lie

You are more likely to have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died of Ebola if you are a US citizen...

No doubt the feeling is mutual
wink.gif

I'm too busy looking at the front side....

I would quarantine that cow for sure. In a tent in the big house yard if necessary and fight her stupid law suit later.
What a selfish individual. If she gets it they should show her the same concern she has for others.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
That nurse is an idiot. A selfish idiot!

Ebola won't kill America. Lack of common sense and selfishness is what will do it.

"The government can't tell me what to do! I have rights and freedoms. I get to keep my guns...

but, quarantine that &*$(@ who has no symptoms of that disease"

Individual liberties or government intervention - which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back