Parking brake shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's sort of what I guessed, thanks for the details.

It's purely academic for at this point, for me. The car is less than a year old and is still very much under warranty, so I'm not doing any of that at all, but instead leaving it to the dealer until the warranty is up.

My FILs f150 had lots of material left on the parking brake shoe (single band), but the bond had broken and the material fell off when replacing the rotors.

In 2011, I replaced the P-Brake shoes in my '01 Lexus. Man, the friction material were GONE! Nothing left but rusty backing plates.

The underneath of the rotors(2nd set) was crusty which in turn, wore down the shoes. But, the car was 10 years old at that time and I live in the salt belt.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It needs new shoes. Make sure the drum part of the rotors are not all scored up.
You have the FSM so your all set, it isn't difficult. When you adjust them do it with the calipers pads retracted and just until the shoes scratch the the drum with no real resistance.
Apply the e brake a few times to make sure they are seated and maintaining adjustment before pressing the foot brake.

Does the hub need to come off?

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Trav
It needs new shoes.

WE have a year-old RAV4 that has the drum-in-hat parking brake. This is the first car I've ever owned with that type of parking brake, so this thread is significant to me.

Please tell me how it's possible for the shoes to get worn, since I can't see any possible wear mechanism that would erode the friction surface, unless you were in the habit of using the parking brake to stop the car. What am I missing?

We bought ours certified used with 50K miles so who knows what the previous owner did. There's a chime that goes off when it indicates engagement.

Some people ignore chimes all the time, seatbelt chimes are often ignored as just another nuisance.
I cant think of any normal use reason for them to wear out, many cars are quite old and still have the originals in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back