excessive yawning while reading book out loud..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I read a book to one of my young kids,I start to yawn A LOT. These are 7y.o. level books and with every page,I have to yawn deeply at least twice.If I stop reading for a while, I stop yawning.I've drank cold water while reading and it don"t seem to help. Anyone know why?

What happens when you read the book out loud to yourself, No kids around?

I found that when my daughter was that age it was easier for me if I first read the book a few times to memorize it and then I basically read it out of memory to her.

It also allowed me to have more eye contact with her and I was able to have more of an interactive experience, Way more fun for the kid too.

obviously OP isn't really "engaging" much with the material he is reading.

Try reading the story as though YOU wrote it from PERSONAL experience. Make it seem as though what's happening in the book, happened to you.

Your kids will be entertained and so will you! You'll also spark something far more important that kids these days don't get to use much-- their imaginations!

Psysiologically, the body yawns when short on oxygen. It should help if you take a deeper breath before talking, and a pause or two each page to get more air.

From what I've seen, there continues to be little agreement as to exactly why we yawn. I've read that it's due to a shortness of oxygen. I've also read that it has to do with the temperature of our brain, and that yawning can cool the brain. I don't know.

What I do know is that the same thing happens to me: I often yawn when reading books aloud to our kids. I also yawn, interestingly enough, singing hymns in church. From those two observations, it seems like oxygen shortage makes sense. I've never been a trained singer (or reader), so I probably don't use correct breathing techniques for either.

123Saab and Lolvoguy are spot on:
if the book is new to you, read it one page in advance (to yourself) and recite from memory to kids the the kids involved (what letter does mouse start with?)
also you can add stuff to the story (the kids may correct you or enjoy it or just forget it)

ever heard about Snow-White and the 7 motorcycle dwarfs? with a vacation cabin on lake michigan?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
If you desire something with more of a dramatic plot, maybe Winnie the Pooh instead of Everybody has to Poo is more up your alley.

--
Threads like this are exactly what the problem is: You don't know any better than mentally [censored] all over the stretching of the flesh during child labor (which happens to be my favorite of this [censored] thus far), either. You rack-a hermeneutic facurty, brah.
don't make any sense AT ALL.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Originally Posted By: pandus13
ever heard about Snow-White and the 7 motorcycle dwarfs? with a vacation cabin on lake michigan?

No . . . . tell me more!

Not close enough to your black cat and the bob the mosquito chaser tractor story but here we go:

it start with mom with a big belly and dad not sleeping for 48 hours

so dad, covering a shift for someone at work, than a fake scare(no, baby decided not to come yet) than get home, clean and cook to keep preggo wife happy, then when to get to sleep dad hears "oops my water broke".

dad hopes in the car (oil just changed to semi-synth 5w30), gets wife and baby bag/hospital bag in ,drives 1.5 hours (SIL has to follow us, so 35 minutes drives becomes 1.5 hour)
than we wait for 12 hours (dad still awake), since baby and mama are "slow" , than all of a sudden in 1.5 hours "Little missy" is here. so 45 minutes of mom-daughter bonding time, than time to nap (for both).

dad let all the family clan know the great news, fields the ones trying to get to sleepy momma and is still awake.

Than they let us know "Little missy" is under ultraviolet for the next 24 hours for jaundice precaution.

since mom is recovering, then dad goes to stay with "Little missy" and because he passed the 48 hours of being awake, he start telling the story of Snow-White and the 7 biker dwarfs that have a small log cabin on the lake, which happen to be the michigan lake and wanders the forest close to us on custom bikes built after the mining for shinny stuff.
to this day i still don't know what else i said to "Little missy" and the 7 other kids in the neonatology room, but for some hours only one cryied. the rest listened to the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back