How deep of a puncture can a tire take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a subaru with all season tires which have around 7/32" of tread left in the center of the tire, and the tires had 10/32" when new. I thought I had a puncture that couldn't be repaired, but when I took the screw out tonight, it ended up being a pretty small screw. The tire is off the car, but still holds air just fine with the screw removed, I don't think it came close to fully penetrating the tire. So what do you guys think, could the little screw have done any real damage?

The bad part is where it's located. If it was more to the center, then you could drill out the hole, plug it and run for miles and miles. But since it's almost to the edge, it probably would be hard to patch, (maybe, maybe not).

Aside from water intrusion, there's always the chance a small rock could work it's way in the hole and finally work it's way through to create a leak, (I've had it happen before).

Could you seal it with something, rubber cement, silicone perhaps? That would keep the dirt and water out.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Just like GreeCguy said, seal it up with something. Like some black JB Weld
Tires are flexible.

I wonder if you could apply/inject tire slime into it ( from the outside). Maybe a few drops each time?

If you could find a big enough tire whisker off the side of a tire, you might rubber cement that in there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far. I'm up in the air as far as what I want to do. I don't mind getting a flat tire, I just don't want some catastrophic blowout on the highway.

My cheap-o-ness would go out and buy a $5.00 tube of Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant, squeeze a dab into that hole, keep my eye on it, and add more if/when my ghetto repair fell out....lol

I also keep a tire plug kit and a slime cig plug in air generator just in case AAA can't come and help me if I"m out stranded somewhere.

Put the screw back in and don't worry about it.

Honestly if its not leaking any air I would just drive on.

I found a screw right about the same time I needed to go in for my first rotation. So I brought it to a Costco Tire Center. I think they dismounted it and checked. However, mine got a screw right in one of the center tread blocks, and was told it didn't come anywhere close to going through.

However, the tread typically tapers down near the edge, so I'd be surprised if the belts haven't been damaged a little bit. It's not great if the steel belts are exposed, but I've been to a lot of places willing to do a patch only repair, and this isn't even that bad.

All I know is that if it went through and leaked, almost no tire shop would repair it. That's just way too close to the sidewall.

i wouldn't worry about it, with 7/32nds of tread left the chances of anything else happening with that small hole is very slim before the tire wears out.

I've dug nails/screws out of heavy truck tires that were down to the cords and let them be.

by all means if you feel like the tire is compromised and need to put yourself at peace then repair/replace it.

but as others have said its not likely repairable being that close to the sidewall.

Run it. Its fine. If it leaks, it is no longer fine and you need a new tire. Dont put anything on it, it will probably fall off, and will ultimately not prevent a leak anyway.

So the tire has 7/32nds left and the screw is 12/32nds long, so it penetrates into the casing 5/32nds - and I think the amount of rubber over the top belt is 1/8" (4/32nds), so I think that screw is into the top belt. Not good.

IF you decide to run the tire and IF the tire starts to separate, it will get a bulge right at the location of the hole. You could mark the tire so you could check it from time to time, but I think we are talking several hundred miles from appearance of the bulge to the separation of the tread.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
i wouldn't worry about it, with 7/32nds of tread left the chances of anything else happening with that small hole is very slim before the tire wears out.

I've dug nails/screws out of heavy truck tires that were down to the cords and let them be.

by all means if you feel like the tire is compromised and need to put yourself at peace then repair/replace it.

What he said. I've dug stones that worked their way into the steel belts of truck tires and they hold up until they're worn out.

but as others have said its not likely repairable being that close to the sidewall.

I'd clean it and put a drop of "gorilla" superglue into the hole.. no need to fill it all the way you just want a tiny bit to seal the bottom of the hole.

being a subaru and having to shave down a replacement tire.
I'd run it on the driver side rear for now. Inspect it every gas fillup and glance at it when getting in the car for a few weeks to make sure its ok.

it only really needs to make it to 4/32 and then you can replace all 4 anyway.

Those look like terrible tires for winter,
If you need new all seasons consider the general altimax rt43. They were available shipped to your door for about 320$ last sale(beginning of oct)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bvance554

You shouldn't leave the screw in as it work its way deeper and do more damage.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: bvance554

You shouldn't leave the screw in as it work its way deeper and do more damage.

I thought it would be obvious that was a joke.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

From what I understand Subaru says that all four tires must be within 2/32" of each other, or the total circumference of the tires must be within 1/4", which apparently equals out to 2/32". Since my tires are worn around 3/32", it sounds like my only replacement options would be 1 new tire that has been shaved down, or four new tires.

Being the type of person who worries a lot, I was really leaning towards replacing the tire, and not continuing to use this tire. Unfortunately this happened two days after DTD's ebay sale ended
frown.gif

So I think I am probably going to buy four new tires that are the same as the ones I have now, and hang on to the three partially worn tires in case something like this happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back