$9.99 oil change special +mod+plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I own a 2000 Toyota Camry with 276,000 miles on it....that I've owned since 210,000 miles....been a great car for me...running mostly 5 to 6k oil change intervals using the Monro shops usual deal of $19.99 plus free tire rotation($27 or so with fees and taxes) for their Valvoline Premium Conventional Motor Oil....5w-30.....and topping off with either Supertech high mileage or Mobil Super High Mileage....as my car burns and/or leaks about 1.5 quarts every 3,000 miles.

Yesterday the Monro deal was $9.99 ($16.88 with their fees and taxes) as it was last time out. Typically I run the full 5 to 6k mile intervals on their yellow generic filter.....but this time I immediately took the yellow one off and added the $9 Fram Ultra. I'm thinking of trying to go 7 to 10k miles without an oil change on that filter, just topping off until the next oil change......then on my next oil change, use the yellow generic filter i just took off after 3 or 4 k miles and run that oil change for 6 to 8k miles on 2 of the yellow generic filters back to back.

My thinking is that the fram ultra is intended for a 10 to 15 k interval, so I should be good going 7k to 10k miles on conventional/blend with the top offs.....and not pushing the no name filters out to 5 to 6k miles each will be better on that run as well.

I used to have an 88 Camry with a really small filter. Does your Camry have a really small filter?

I don't like the idea of reusing a filter that has already been used and then stored on a shelf for months (the yellow filters in your case) The internal media may break down by the time you get to using it.

Sounds to me like your complicating the shat out of that. You pay a shop to change your oil, yet change out filters in between? That is probably the most difficult part of an oil change so why not just DIY? Or just leave the filter alone and take it in at you normal 5-6k interval?

Originally Posted By: sir1900
If I were you, I would stretch the use of the FU to 15k.

You know that has a whole different meaning in text messaging talk.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Sounds to me like your complicating the shat out of that.

No shat.

bubba, please note that I IMMEDIATELY took off the yellow filter...so it's not "used"...sure, it has some oil in it...but it's essentially a new filter that i'll use later.

bvance...on the 2000 Camry, the filter is on top and super easy to take off.

It's really not that complicated....run the fram ultra on this oil change for around 8 to 10K miles and top off throughout.....after my next oil change, do nothing with the yellow filter until the 3 or 4 k mile mark, then put on the one I just took off. My reason for doing this is that I"ve read many threads here questioning the longevity of the generic oil filters.

By spending $9 on the Fram and going with what I've stated, over the next 18 thousand miles or so, I'll save the $16 or $27 I would have spent on an additional oil change during that time.....for a net savings of $7 or $18. Yea, I know it's small potatoes....but it all adds up!

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Sounds to me like your complicating the shat out of that.

No shat.

+1

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: sir1900
If I were you, I would stretch the use of the FU to 15k.

You know that has a whole different meaning in text messaging talk.
shocked.gif

LOLOLOL

I'd just use the yellow filter for 10,000 miles - as much oil as you're adding, that should be an easy OCI.

Just take the ultra with you next time and have them use it
Dont reuse a filter like you are trying to do

Sounds like a lot of hassle in near 15 year old car with near 300,000 miles. Especially since there is no way of knowing if any benefits in the first place. But, it could be just me.

I would simplify your life and change the oil twice a year, and be on the lookout for the coupons for $19 oil changes.

Nothing else really needs to be done but check the level and top it off as necessary.

You are making this way too complicated. $17 for an oil change out the door (not $9.99). For that price plus a Fram Ultra you could have changed it yourself with SuperTech syn and an Ultra and gone a longer OCI.

One thing is, the 97'-01' Camry's are the sludger years. Just because the filter can go that far doesn't mean the oil should. This car holds 3.8 quarts of oil and they're quite small filters. I know, I owned the EXACT same car and sold it a few months ago. I'd run that far on a synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back