5w/40, non-synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone make a 5w/40 non-synthetic motor oil? It would be used in a high-mileage better car that could possibly benefit from a heavier oil, but also want the better cold flow properties of a 5w instead of a 10w for winter.

There are 5w-40 blends available. Amalie has one, for example. I don't personally know of any 5w-40 conventional.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Does anyone make a 5w/40 non-synthetic motor oil? It would be used in a high-mileage better car that could possibly benefit from a heavier oil, but also want the better cold flow properties of a 5w instead of a 10w for winter.

I'm not sure how technically possible it would be to make a meaningful 5W-40 that met any spec's.

Valvoline MaxLife has a synthetic high mileage 5W-40 they sell in Europe, but not here sadly...

Last edited:
Hmm. What if you made a semi synthetic mix of Mobil 1 0w40 and SuperTech 10w40 or Mobil Super 10w40?

Do you have Mills Fleet Farm out there in SD? They have their store brand "Farm Rated" 5W-40 syn blend HDEO. It comes in 2 gallon jugs.

10057535-200x200

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Hmm. What if you made a semi synthetic mix of Mobil 1 0w40 and SuperTech 10w40 or Mobil Super 10w40?

I don't think we could derive a lot of meaning about the cold weather performance about such a mix.

agreed Garak...

A dino of a given grade will have things like PPDs, which will be halved in concentration in a blend, which will obviously effect their behaviour. And they typically don't work much on synthetic basestocks, which don't have the waxy components that PPDs work on.

So which of the two competing mechanisms wins out in the blend ???

Anyone's guess

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'd just use MaxLife 10W-40, the cold temp pour point is pretty good IIRC...

Yeah, -44F...

Just another example of why it's best to ignore the PP spec.
A 10W oil is still a 10W oil no matter how good it's PP is. A 5W oil with the worst possible PP will pump at -35C, a 10W will not.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
So which of the two competing mechanisms wins out in the blend ???

Additionally, one of the concerns I'd have is that I believe those two oils use a different type of additive package.

Originally Posted By: otis24

aside from cost, are there other consideration for you not wanting a synthetic. Not trying to stir up any debate, just curious.

Z.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Yeah, -44F...

Just another example of why it's best to ignore the PP spec.
A 10W oil is still a 10W oil no matter how good it's PP is. A 5W oil with the worst possible PP will pump at -35C, a 10W will not.

Just a blanket statement, in fact it's a synthetic blended base stock. Your basis for that statement is?

I asked him the pour point question a few days ago, so its leftovers.

The SAE "W" grade reveals more information about the cold
weather suitability of a lubricant, instead of using the pour point
as evidence.

Or something like that.

At the time cater had one example, now he has two and counting.

Last edited by a moderator:
10wXX oils get trashed here a lot. But out there, in the real world, people are still usng this 'obsolete' spec and getting the same total miles on their vehicle as others do on 5w or 0w. Isn't that the bottom line.

Yeah, -44F...

+1

Originally Posted By: wemay
10wXX oils get trashed here a lot. But out there, in the real world, people are still usng this 'obsolete' spec and getting the same total miles on their vehicle as others do on 5w or 0w. Isn't that the bottom line.

And people are still smoking cigarettes even though we know they do no good. I might live to be 100 if i smoke and drink every day, but i might get cancer and die at 50 from either one.

The analogy is good in theory but not practice. Some manufacturers still allow for 10w30 as one of their options. Both my Hyundai list 10w30 as a recommendation and they are 2013-14 vehicles. Tell me the doctor that prescribes cigarettes and I'll show you a nice plot for sale in the everglades.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
In 1982 I put 5w40 dino oil in my 79 dodge colt. At 100 mph I looked in the rear view mirror to see blue smoke following me. I pulled over and lifted the hood. The engine was leaking oil from every place possible. Now low on oil, I limped into the nearest service center and bought some 10W30. The engine immediately stopped smoking and leaking. Mind you, slower speeds prevailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back