Quick struts opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning out my repairs for the upcoming year. My most immediate concerns are the cracked radiator and the worn out rear drums and shoes (hopefully getting the parking brake working again through that).

After all that the suspension needs to be addressed. Wish I had the funds to do more than one or two things here and there, but not until I have a new and stable job.

I know the Olds has a more floaty ride than I am used to from my previous vehicles (86 Thunderbird, 97 Thunderbird, 96 Outback, 03 Outback) but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the 22 year old suspension is done for.

No severe creaking, groaning, or thumping of note but the car takes a few bounces to settle down over highway expansion joints, fails my "bumper bounce test", and nosedives something fierce under moderate braking, although the state of the rear brakes likely don't help this either.

Looking at Monroe and KYB for quick struts. I neither have the funds, nor can justify the cost of replacing everything individually for a 22 year old less than $600 vehicle.

I have had good experience with KYB on my Subaru's and mediocre experience with Monroe on my Fords. I know KYB tends to ride firmer than Monroe, which does not bother me unless the Olds will be miserable firmed up. Thoughts/reviews/suggestions?

It likely has the "float" suspension instead of the "sport" suspension, so the quick struts should be fine.

IIRC only toe and camber are adjustable. Loosening the axle nut should help wiggle the front struts off. The rears are a bit easier since they're lighter. Might have to unbolt the rear seat to get access to the rear strut mount bolts. They're a tight fit, and a magnet comes in handy to retrieve them when they drop. Yank up on the back of the cushion, wiggle the seat to unlatch the bars holding the front in place, then unbolt the seat belts and other fasteners holding the back cushion in place.

Since Rockauto is showing KYB "slow struts" for $33 it might be time to figure out spring compression. Autozone does a "loan a tool" compressor that's sturdier than the HF model.

Do you have access to amazon prime? Cheap parts there too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Since Rockauto is showing KYB "slow struts" for $33 it might be time to figure out spring compression. Autozone does a "loan a tool" compressor that's sturdier than the HF model.

Do you have access to amazon prime? Cheap parts there too.

I used the Autozone tool last weekend and it worked well and felt safe.

I think the key is to get the strut off the ground and supported vertically. A vice is ideal, but lacking that one of those cheap Black and Decker Workmate benches would do fine.

Wear safety glasses and do one or two full turns to each side at a time and it's a pretty easy process.

Monroe usually has a rebate on quick struts in the spring, but you might not be able to wait that long. Other than that, I've heard of people getting suspension parts at a junkyard, but I'm not sure how likely that is for a 22 year old model. Normally you wouldn't use junkyard suspension parts, but if you have more time than money, it might be worth looking at.

I actually keep the strut on the ground and on its side when compressing. If god for bids, the stored energy suddenly lets go, the force is divided by both parts moving in 2 directions. i keep my face and body out of that path. My worry with a vice is that if the compressed energy is suddenly released it is all in one direction and would be much more violent. Compressing changing struts is really easy to do if you take your time and use good safe spring compressors. A set of struts and a bearing plate should be less cost than a quick strut. I always change the bearing plate on the front. Unless the rear is torn or rotten they do not go bad like the front does from turning.

I just installed Monroe quickstruts kn the '01 Olds myself. Went as easy as you would think. Over all construction seems good, ride quality feels OEM for this application. Some squeaking from upper mounts but yoy cant hear it unless you are outside testing for it. Cant comment on longevity.

I installed 4 quick struts on an 07 Vibe a couple months ago. Everything didn't go as smoothly as I wanted.

1) The old steering stabilizer links had allen key type fasteners that made it impossible to remove. Had to grind them off and purchase two more of them at 60 dollars a piece. At least the new ones aren't allen keyed and they come with grease fittings. I think they are Moog brand.

2) DO NOT TIGHTEN UP THE FRONT STRUT TOWER NUTS VERY TIGHT ALL! ! I had a calibrated and accurate torque wrench and set it way below what the shop manual said to tighten them and it still EASILY broke the nut and the thread coming out of the shock. It is a very cheap metal Monroe used on these. I had to JB weld it in there at this time. Google it and you'll see these strut tower nuts/threads do bust off.

After struts were installed I had to get an alignment for 130 dollars because the rear end needed to be shimmed for correct alignment.

Factor in the steering stabilizer links as they might need to be replaced.

The ride is not the greatest, I'll be honest. OEM on this car was KYB and wish I had gone with them. It doesn't take bumps and rough roads very smoothly at all. In my view, the car actually rode slightly better with the 125,000 mile original KYB struts on it. All subjective though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Monroe usually has a rebate on quick struts in the spring, but you might not be able to wait that long. Other than that, I've heard of people getting suspension parts at a junkyard, but I'm not sure how likely that is for a 22 year old model. Normally you wouldn't use junkyard suspension parts, but if you have more time than money, it might be worth looking at.

I think OP is lucky that his body style goes from 92-99 (or so) and a strut from a lower mileage 99 might fit.

Seems goofy with new going for $35, unless he can spot a year old strut by its bright paint in a pick n pull. Maybe something like a bonneville with sport suspension would stiffen stuff up.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Primechoiceautoparts usually has quick strut for $80 each and free delivery. I don't think you could go wrong.

A price that cheap makes me nervous. While this car is being fixed on a budget, I don't want to replace the same parts 3 times.

$285 for new fronts and rears sounds too good to be true, when it looks like KYB would be about closer to $400.

The KYB is a good strut for the money, they are better than Monroe and give a decent ride and worth the extra $$.
I understand what your saying, fixing it on a budget is one thing but you don't want to throw garbage at either.

I have used Primechoiceautoparts on two occasions. I know of one other person who has also used their parts[suspension]. In all cases the parts were made in China. This might not sound so good but have a close look at the low end brand name parts, they are often made in China also. The strut assemblies offered by primechoice look surprisingly like Munroe quick-struts.

Just my two cents.

I put Monroes all around on my wife's Corolla about two years ago. I was satisfied with the build quality of the parts but somewhat unhappy with the soft spring rate and soft dampening on the front. Had I known that beforehard I probably would have gone with KYBs and swapped the springs instead, but overall I'm OK with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back