Halloween Candy Faves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some ideas.

I've been out of the whole Trick or Treat kind of thing for years now from living in a very rural area with a very little trick or treaters. Recently moved into an extensive family community and expect a TON of kids to show up this year.

Question is.....what do kids these days REALLY like as far as candy goes? I remember when I was a kid the best homes used to give us kids whole Hershey bars! Used to love that every year and still remember it fondly.

Do kids still want chocolate??

Ideas...opinions...stories about you liked as a kid?

You won't please everyone with chocolate, but whole candy bars are must loved. Skittles, Hershey bars, M&M, snickers, snickers peanut butter, are all pretty popular.

Walmart has some pretty good selection of large sizes candy in big bags.

I think mini candy bars of the chocolate/caramel/nougat/peanut butter variety are the most popular overall. We usually get a couple big variety bags at Costco.

A few years ago we ran out of proper candy so I was scrambling to find something to hand out to the kids who were still showing up. We had a box of lunch-sized Pringles packs, I figured what the heck. The kids went bonkers, running from our house yelling "they've got chips!!" They loved it.

jeff

Mini bars. The best a kid can get.

http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Candy-Chocolate-Favorites-Candies/dp/B001FXIMWO

51ryfCpDq3L.jpg

As a kid, I loved getting those caramel apple suckers. $$$ I'm sure, but I always loved getting them. A few kinds of variety packs should do the trick.

Don't be the creeper who hands out the apples. Lol.

Well I'm testing some Peanut M&Ms right now for quality and freshness.
smile.gif

We just get several variety packs to toss in the bowl so the youngsters can choose favorites themselves.

How come they call those mini bars "Fun Size"? A fun sized candy bar would be HUGE,not small :^)

I've always liked those little mixes of Mr Goodbar, Krackle and Hershey; they are the ones about the size of a matchbox, but 1/2 as thin.

Leave those things with the strawberry faux wrapper and gooey strawberry centers on the shelf please. TY.

Last edited:
I always remember when I was a kid there was one house that gave out full-sized Sky Bars. It was the highlight of the night. So in my adult life, I've always made a point to give out full-sized assorted bars we get at Costco. Of course, the fact that we'll get no more than a dozen kids here makes it affordable.

Wow...lots of great ideas!

Thanks....I'll be heading out in the morning to get stocked up. I have no idea how many kids we'll get but I sure wish I knew so that I could see if buying full size bars would be affordable.

I just go to the store and buy 20 things of the snickers, m&M's, twixs 6 packs.

They seem to love the name brand stuff. Their kids so might as well make them happy and spend alittle more.

Do the kids a favor and at least consider something healthy, not the sugar laden, processed garbage that most people dole out.

whatever you get , don't get some stuff you end up eating before halloween gets here. On the other hand if you have candy left over what will you do with it?

Do you folks let the kids choose what candy they want from the bowl or do you hand the candy out? How many pieces per child?
Just curious.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Do the kids a favor and at least consider something healthy, not the sugar laden, processed garbage that most people dole out.

I was actually expecting you to show up ans say something like this.
Maybe I'll serve steamed broccoli?

Lotsa kids coming by? You can't go wrong with the little miniature candy bars & small bags of M&Ms, buy 'em by the bags full- and parents really appreciate the fact that each one is factory-wrapped. Sour-balls & similar hard candies usually go well too.

I remember when at some houses in our small town, they gave out home made popcorn balls & candied apples on a stick.
grin2.gif
They had several tables set up inside, *covered* with them. A very impressive sight when you're 8 years old!
crazy2.gif

PopRivit- back then, your house would have wound up covered in toilet paper, with well-soaped windows & screens. Happy Halloween!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: theKman
I always remember when I was a kid there was one house that gave out full-sized Sky Bars. It was the highlight of the night. So in my adult life, I've always made a point to give out full-sized assorted bars we get at Costco. Of course, the fact that we'll get no more than a dozen kids here makes it affordable.

I had a cool old guy on my block as a kid. Actually gave out the special big chocolate bars. Old friend of my dad's actually. Nice old man.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Wouldn't be a bad idea if parents don't question that it might be "tainted" somehow. Know someone who gave out little trail mix bags, but didn't go over well....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back