2005 Yard Machines by MTD- 3.5HP -Edger, Flathead Briggs

Out: Factory Fill - Used twice and then sat for 8 years in a warehouse

In : Rotella T5 - 10W-30

JD 185, 17.5 hp Kawasaki

OUT: PNZL YB 10-40
JD filter

IN: T5 10-30
WIX filter

considering going to triple T 15/40 or 10/30, after changing to the T5 I got a puff of smoke at startup 3 different times....... not sure what to make of it.

My buddy's lawnmower (which I borrowed) with a B&S engine, out, I have no idea, in 5w-30 Maxlife SM. The small engine shop that fixed the carb on my Ariens changed the oil for me, horror of horrors - there's probably an SAE 30 in there now.
wink.gif

B&S Intek engine on Snapper Hi - Vac lawn mower : 16 oz. of M1 10W30 synthetic oil ...Two oil changes per mowing season here in Georgia keeps the Briggs purring !

Fresh peanut oil in the Snapper 33" Rear Engine Rider. Doesn't burn a drop. I use the old peanut oil from the deep fryer we use for deep frying turkeys. Use peanut oil in all my mowers. Peanut oil has a very high burning temp. It also runs super clean. Removed the cylinder head and found no carbon, piston and rings were spotless.

Last edited:
John Deere lawn tractor L-111 20HP Briggs: This spring 2 quarts of Rotella 5w40, John Deere oil filter. Oil still looks virgin after 2 seasons or 40 hours. Will up to 3 years next round. Recommended OCI is 60 hours.

10 hp Generator Generac: less than a quart of same Rotella oil. No filter on unit.

3.75 HP Generac Briggs motor pressure washer: less than a quart of ^.

9HP Tecumseh snow blower: < a quart of ^ No filter here too.

Last edited:
1980 Little Wonder leaf blower with 5hp Briggs and Stratton

Out: PYB 10w30

In: Rotella T6 5w40

The valves seem a tad bit quieter with the Rotella T6.

Troybilt 27 ton splitter with Honda gcv160

Out- quaker state ultimate durability 5w30

In- same

She runs great!

'01 John Deere GT235 tractor(Briggs 18hp twin).

10w30 JD Turf-Gard w/JD spin on filter.

Still cranking off original battery!

'01 JD 26" snow blower (Tecumseh 11hp).

5w30 JD Turf-Gard.

'99 F510 John Deere with 14hp Kawasaki motor/hydraulic unit.

2 qts M1 0w40 out, 2 qts M1 0w40 in. Purolator 10241 filter off and replaced with the same.

'99 Craftsman GT with 20hp Kohler

out - 2.1 qts NAPA synthetic 10w30 with NAPA 1348 Gold

in - 2.1 qts Shell Rotella T5 10w30 with NAPA 1348 Gold

Husqvarna 27HP Briggs V-Twin
Out Mobil 1 5W30
in Rotella 5W40

Engine seems to run a lot quieter and the oil hasn't turned colors like Mobil 1 did, even though I'm not sure that really makes any difference at all.

8HP Tecumseh Snow King
Out: No idea but it was thick and black!
In: 0.75 qt M1 5w30 (old SM/SL stuff I found in the garage).

Looks like she's gonna get some exercise in the next couple days. This oil change was stone cold (as in hasn't been started since February)... I'll do a hot oil change after it gets an hour or three of exercise to work on the black crud (found 2 qts of that M1 SM/SL as well as some other random oils).

Back