2014 silverado oil issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
Thanks for all the advise and suggestions on what to do with my truck. I was surprised but I have two emails from two separate people with gm regarding my issue they seen here at Bitog last night and today. I was surprised too see they monitor this forum too. And from the email I received they want to take a look at this truck right away and resolve my issue. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks

Interesting. I wish Subaru took such an interest.

I have a GM engine with 4,400 miles on it and I have been very hard on the engine. I drive it very hard every day and with the manual transmission you can really rev it higher for longer periods of time. I have taken this car pedal to the metal since it had 5 miles on the clock and my engine is still consuming oil at a good pace. It has been steadily consuming oil and with the amount of miles on it, it doesn't seem that the rings have seated yet. I religiously check the oil literally every other day to make sure the oil level is full.

The new Silverado has DI, VVT and AFM technologies and carries more oil than the previous gen GMT-900 engines (8.5qts vs. 6.0 qts.) Previous gen engines spec'd out for 5W30 like all other GM engines, but because of the new DI feature, GM had to go 0W20 for the oil to flow easier in the narrow oil passages.

My experience with all the GM engines I have had is that they don't do well if you baby them. The harder you are on them from day one, the more power they put out and the longer they last. 99% of the GM engines I have had did not burn a drop of oil. Just two of the manual transmission equipped GM cars I have had consumed oil. My current one has been the worst at 3 quarts so far in 4,400 miles.

Drive it like you stole it and get those rings seated!

Last edited:
I'm glad GM is taking a look at it. Seems to me it is a piston oil control ring failure. Don't do ANYTHING that might jeopardize your warranty. Engine component failure is very rare but it still happens. Keep us posted.

I have been on a lot of the GM truck forums and no one is talking about this, something doesn't sound right.

I'd fill it up with 93 octane and hook a heavy trailer up to it and head up a mountain. Load the snot out of that engine and see if the rings seat.

Other than that document as you are doing, come 10k-15k miles if its still burning at the same right I'd start pressing the issue with GM.

Also disregard any posters above talking about heavier oil, they are posting factually incorrect information.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I have been on a lot of the GM truck forums and no one is talking about this, something doesn't sound right.

I'd fill it up with 93 octane and hook a heavy trailer up to it and head up a mountain. Load the snot out of that engine and see if the rings seat.

Other than that document as you are doing, come 10k-15k miles if its still burning at the same right I'd start pressing the issue with GM.

Also disregard any posters above talking about heavier oil, they are posting factually incorrect information.

Couldn't agree more! Run the engine hard and DO NOT use any other oil other than the factory oil while you are experiencing this issue.

AC Delco Synthetic Blend 0W20 and the factory oil filter. With GM engines, you can run a thinner oil, but NEVER EVER GO with a thicker oil in a GM vehicle. I don't think you can really find a thinner oil out there that is Dexos 1 rated over the factory 0W20 oil anyway. ALL GM owner's manuals state to never use a thicker oil. Don't listen to ANYONE telling you to run a thicker oil. You can't go thicker with the new DI engines.

Then again, since maintenance is covered by GM, let ONLY the dealer touch the car and service it and keep all documentation of everything they do. Don't do anything that puts you in a bad situation with the factory warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: actionstan
There is so much misinformation in this thread its mind boggling. All these 5w-30/10w30 people come out of the wood work, saying to put a non-recommended grade of oil in an under warranty 2014 35,000 dollar truck... Geeze..

If a guy spends $35,000 for a truck, he oughtta be able to use whatever oil he wants. Go ahead and tell me that 5W-30/10W-30 will increase oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
Thanks for all the advise and suggestions on what to do with my truck. I was surprised but I have two emails from two separate people with gm regarding my issue they seen here at Bitog last night and today. I was surprised too see they monitor this forum too. And from the email I received they want to take a look at this truck right away and resolve my issue. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks

Interesting. I wish Subaru took such an interest.

IIRC we have members who are higher-ups at some of the GM plants that produce some of the trucks and full-size SUV's. Knowing about a oil burning issue on a brand-new engine design might well be important...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
IIRC we have members who are higher-ups at some of the GM plants that produce some of the trucks and full-size SUV's...

Particularly with all the negative mainstream press GM has received of late with shoddy equipment fitments and outright hardware failures.

That oft-quoted 1 quart per 1000-miles’ consumption mantra seems excessive to me.
That’s what warranties are for, though.
smile.gif

Aside: Our '11 Gen-IV 5.3L AFM GMC = no make-up oil between 0% OLM OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There is so much misinformation in this thread its mind boggling. All these 5w-30/10w30 people come out of the wood work, saying to put a non-recommended grade of oil in an under warranty 2014 35,000 dollar truck... Geeze..

If a guy spends $35,000 for a truck, he oughtta be able to use whatever oil he wants. Go ahead and tell me that 5W-30/10W-30 will increase oil consumption.

With GM's new DI truck engines, you can't run a thicker oil due to flow issues. Has nothing to do with consumption.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

With GM's new DI truck engines, you can't run a thicker oil due to flow issues. Has nothing to do with consumption.

Then how would they work in Alaska?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Then how would they work in Alaska?

Just fine. The 0W20 oil is super thin. Just like water. GM admonishes against running thicker oil in their DI truck engines. The oil passages are very narrow and the 0W20 oil is thin enough to flow through properly.

Just fine. The 0W20 oil is super thin. Just like water. GM admonishes against running thicker oil in their DI truck engines. The oil passages are very narrow and the 0W20 oil is thin enough to flow through properly.

Where can this information be found? The Owners Manual? This is the first time i hear of only one oil viscosity being accepted. Just curious is all.

It is apparent that you don't quite understand the concept of viscosity. ALL oil gets thicker as the temperature drops. No oil is super thin at -40C. A 0w-20 is probably 1000x thicker at -40 than a 20w-50 is at 100C.

Actually, let's do some math:

Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 has an MRV of 9,200cP at -40C. Mobil 1 0w-40 has an MRV of 31,000cP at -40C. Applying the doubling rule, the 0w-40 is 7,750cp (approximately) at -30C, thinner than the 0w-20 is at -40C. Viscosity changes massively at very cold temperatures. If you are in Alaska starting your Silverado at -40C, you are starting it with an oil that is significantly heavier than even the heaviest 20w-50 in more moderate temperatures. If what you posit was in fact the case, the engines would literally self destruct when run in cold climates.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Where can this information be found? The Owners Manual? This is the first time i hear of only one oil viscosity being accepted. Just curious is all.

Yes, the owner's manual is where this info can be found. Historically as far back as the late 80's and early 90's GM has not run any oil thicker than 5W30 due to failures from running thicker oils during R&D testing. GM has stated that it's new DI truck engines have narrow oil passages and the thinner 0W20 oil flows easier through narrow passages and so for that, it is the only approved viscosity for that application. I will try to dig up the section of the owner's manual that states this. My owner's manual (Cadillac CTS-V) states never to run any oil thicker than 5W30 and for cold climates a 0W30 oil is acceptable.

Last edited:
"Then how would they work in Alaska?"

smile.gif
The engines will explode north of Bismarck. Everyone knows that.

One would have to be a fool to buy this truck with it's small oil passages
smile.gif

Last edited:

Yes, the owner's manual is where this info can be found. Historically as far back as the late 80's and early 90's GM has not run any oil thicker than 5W30 due to failures from running thicker oils during R&D testing. GM has stated that it's new DI truck engines have narrow oil passages and the thinner 0W20 oil flows easier through narrow passages and so for that, it is the only approved viscosity for that application. I will try to dig up the section of the owner's manual that states this. My owner's manual (Cadillac CTS-V) states never to run any oil thicker than 5W30 and for cold climates a 0W30 oil is acceptable.

That doesn't sound right. GM runs 0w-40 in their own track program Corvettes....
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That doesn't sound right. GM runs 0w-40 in their own track program Corvettes....
21.gif

OW40 is suitable for hard track use, but not for the new DI truck engines. GM's statement in the owner's manual is not vague at all. Here it is!

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner's manual states:

Viscosity Grade
SAE 0W-20 is the best viscosity
grade for the 5.3L and 6.2L
V8 engines. SAE 5W-30 is the best
viscosity grade for the 4.3L V6, and
6.0L V8 engines. Do not use other
viscosity grade oils such as
SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.
Cold Temperature Operation: In an
area of extreme cold, where the
temperature falls below -29°C
(-20°F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be
used in the 4.3L or 6.0L engine. An
oil of this viscosity grade will provide
easier cold starting for the engine at
extremely low temperatures. When
selecting an oil of the appropriate
viscosity grade, always select an oil
of the correct specification. See
“Specification” earlier in this section
for more information.

Here is the link to the info, scroll to page 10-12 for verification. I am very well versed in how GM does things.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Che...ners-manual.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lex94
"Then how would they work in Alaska?"

smile.gif
The engines will explode north of Bismarck. Everyone knows that.

One would have to be a fool to buy this truck with it's small oil passages
smile.gif

I think GM has tested their trucks and these new engines in all climates to ensure it's safe to use in all types of everyday use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back