Looking For Economical Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
For fun: I went into Excel, and put in 25kmiles/year at 22mpg, $3.50/gallon, and 3% rising gas cost per year. I come up with nearly $46k in fuel costs over 10 years.

A 40mpg car would burn $25k in fuel for that 10 year window. But if it cost more than $20k there would be no savings over the Taco. Then throw in reg&ins on a (fourth?) vehicle.

Not trying to persuade you any which way, I just happened to have Excel open.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
You can get a 40+ mpg VW diesel costing low 20s, and get 45 mpg. Or save several grand for the gas version and get 31.

I'd stay away from passenger car diesels. Complicated engines with complicated exhaust aftertreatment (high maintenance cost in the long run, probably low resale value too).

Originally Posted By: supton
For fun: I went into Excel, and put in 25kmiles/year at 22mpg, $3.50/gallon, and 3% rising gas cost per year. I come up with nearly $46k in fuel costs over 10 years.

A 40mpg car would burn $25k in fuel for that 10 year window. But if it cost more than $20k there would be no savings over the Taco. Then throw in reg&ins on a (fourth?) vehicle.

Not trying to persuade you any which way, I just happened to have Excel open.

Nice! This is something I was totally interested in. I did calculate the difference in mileage I would have to drive to make up the cost of Prius vs. Corolla and stuff.

The only thing is, if I get another vehicle I will be trading in the Tacoma.

Also note the difference in City MPGs on a prius/Mazda3/taco... it's a pretty big jump, especially if you drive the prius properly.

Skip the Diesels unless you live >10 miles from anything since the low mpgs during the long warm-up and urea injection are added costs. They're fantastic highway machines, but around town aren't great on gas... Torque is lovely though.

Originally Posted By: datech
why not drive the miata and kep the truck for utility?

I probably should update that signature. My girlfriend drives the IS250 and the Miata is sold.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Tacoma. If I drove 200 miles / week it would be no contest. I would definitely keep it. But I didn't realize I would be driving this much consistently.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brandini
They're fantastic highway machines, but around town aren't great on gas... Torque is lovely though.

No, just no. TDI's get great mileage in the city, they're not Prius level on mpg in the city but low to mid 30s is what they get in the city. I know, a TDI is my daily driver. This car's worst tank in the nearly 162,000 miles was 33 mpg, that was tons of traffic and foot to the floor driving.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
If real economy is your aim here, I would strongly consider the Mitsubishi Mirage.

It's been rated well by many auto reviewers and gets absolutely ASTOUNDING MPG's.

You can walk off the lot with one for under $15k easily.

But....that's only if you really want economy.

I see those things all over the place. That car seems to be selling very well. Hopefully it'll help get Mitsubishi out of the gutter.

Dodge Dart - nice big multiair (read:valvetronic) engine and trans highly compromised with terrible ergos and finish then throw in a clattery, rude suspension - on the one I test drove and I ran away from that pig like a scalded Chihuahua. And I was ready to buy that day!
Dart Makes a neon seem somehow acceptable. May have just been my sample, but this smacks of questionable suspension part suppliers and dumping.

Now, Leftover dodge avengers are nice very overlooked cars for 16k out the door. I always try to get one as a rental. The v6 is a screemer with leather, showing excellent ergos in the pleasing interior and near 300HP powertrain for 22k out the door for a midsizer (full size in my book).

The yaris is too compromised (owned one) the Fit not that much better (bad engines) and the market is loaded with them for 12k with auto trans used with low low miles.
DO not spend over 16K on any sub compact - unless its a Boxter or an Elise!

If you would dare go Korean, The previous design Forte Sedan was the best sorted compact ive driven - BY FAR! Near flawless. Slaughters civics and corollas and sentras. Stay away from the Nissan Note(Mexican Renault) in my signature - its not even in the '85 Zastava Yugo GV quality sphere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: andrewg
If real economy is your aim here, I would strongly consider the Mitsubishi Mirage.

It's been rated well by many auto reviewers and gets absolutely ASTOUNDING MPG's.

You can walk off the lot with one for under $15k easily.

But....that's only if you really want economy.

I see those things all over the place. That car seems to be selling very well. Hopefully it'll help get Mitsubishi out of the gutter.
Those are $8500 cars the second you drive off the lot. I only paid $12,700 for my Note out the door - But its a POS.
Better off with a lightly used Honda Fit - but run synpower in it! or else!

The good appearing and roomy yet "fall apart quality" Nissan Versa Note:

2014-nissan-versa-note-sv-photo-522352-s-1280x782.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Better off with a lightly used Honda Fit - but run synpower in it! or else!

What happens to the Fit if you don't run SynPower?

If economical AND new car is your thing a Prius or Camry Hybrid can be had for $25k.

Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
I'm hopefully going to get an economical vehicle in the next year.

In case you decide you don't want a car with direct injection, but want maximum fuel economy, with prices well under your $25k limit:

Fiat 500 Pop - 31 City - 40 Highway - $16,195 + $2500 off rebate
Fiat 500 Turbo - 28 City - 34 highway - $19,500 + $2500 off rebate

Not too many other cars can offer the highway mileage these can at a dirt cheap price.

BC.

If I was planning to buy a new car and keep it 10 years, and low running costs were important, I'd choose the one with the longest warranty. No nasty surprises that way.

Above suggestions are good, just wanted to let you know that VW Jetta still offers the 2.0 liter (non DI) engine on its base model. It's an ancient engine but it's reliable.

I think 2nd genb new beetles are on sale up here for 4000- off. Nicer than the first gen. The new fits are made in Mexico not japan and are overpriced and di.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
From what I know about direct injection, there's still quite an issue with carbon buildup in every engine made so far by every manufacturer, even porsche...

If I have to take it to the dealer for induction cleaning as often as every 15k miles, I don't see where direct injection has any benefits.

If I were looking for a new vehicle, one without direct injection, with about the same features I want, would be enough to sway my decision.

Conjecture....

Not one person I personally know who has DI engines has complained about that at all. Even the VWAG owners....

It's all about the fuel and how you drive it. It wasn't long back that Northstar's had a similar issue due to engine use not design.

It all comes down to proper maintenance as well, not bulk Jiffy Lube oil when it requires a certain spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back