Took the Amsoil plunge today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 10W-30 is one of the specs allowed for your vehicle, enjoy it and use it without a second thought.

Last edited:
Quote:
Took the Amsoil plunge today. Installed 5 quarts of 10w-30 Signature Series

Meh. Good stuff; many others make equally good oil. Not worth any cost above other good syn. Ignore all the hype about Amsoil pro & con. Follow either your owner's manual about oil change interval or lab analysis.

I don't drive my Century in winter time. I have a 4x4 truck for winter. That's one reason I went for Amsoil 10w-30 in the Buick.

Originally Posted By: 340_Magnum
I don't drive my Century in winter time. I have a 4x4 truck for winter. That's one reason I went for Amsoil 10w-30 in the Buick.

It's probably for the best, since these century's are awesome in the snow but rust is a big killer!

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I agree. Why 10W30? Why not run 0W30 Amsoil signature series? That's their best oil.

If money was no object I would run Amsoil 0W30 with an Amsoil EA oil filter and change it every 5K miles. I agree with 3800Series in that I would rather have fresh oil and a fresh filter more often than running the same oil and oil filter for a long period of time and a ton of miles.

I don't care what oils and filters guarantee in terms of protection, I would NEVER run any oil or filter for a long period of time. Oil and filters are cheap insurance and they ensure that you won't have an oil related failure. $30-$50 for oil and filter will protect thousands of dollars worth of engine repairs or engine replacement.

5k is on the very safe side. Not trying to bash anyone but synthetic oil (as a whole) has virtually no breakdown (over a reasonable time period).

Additives will be lost before the oil is actually bad. Oil is a 2 step system. Oil to lubricate additives to help better lubricate. Iv personally witnessed a women go 20k miles on conventional oil. And the car still runs many years later.

Would I do it? No, but my car calls for 7.5k OCI with conventional oil and this was rated back on oil quality nearly 20 years ago. I feel 10k is safe for a synthetic oil as long as you don't do 10 mile trips in your car and its all city driving.

Personally I follow the 7.5k OCI and I don't have a problem but I also drive 95% at speeds of 45-75. I'm sure if I wanted to push it I could safely do 12k.

I wouldn't change amsoil oil (or any other synthetic) at 5k.

Back 1994, I purchased a new 1995 Chevrolet Impala SS equipped with GM's LT1 engine and I took very good care of that car. Maybe too good care of that car. I was essentially wasting time and money as I would change the oil every 3,000 miles.

Where I was really stupid in this situation was that I was running Mobil 1 5W30 and a Mobil 1 oil filter (best oil filter available at the time) every 3,000 miles when I could have gone at least 2-3 times longer on the same oil and filter.

I ran 3,000 mile OCI with Mobil 1 5W30 and Mobil 1 oil filters from it's first oil change until the engine threw a rod at 75K miles. Who knows what caused the issue, but I doubt it was an oil related failure as I always had fresh oil and a new filter on that car. It was a shame as the GM LT1 engine was known to go a few hundred thousand miles without any issues. I just got a weak engine apparently.

Perhaps, Mobil 1 wasn't as good as you thought, and perhaps changing your oil so often at 3000 mile OCI you did more damage than good. Running the bearings dry for the startup time after an OC maybe had disastrous effect on bearing life.

Or you got a dud engine.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
You jumped in a big vat of Amsoil?

Kind of like on "Beerfest"?
smile.gif

I guess you would be more buoyant in 10W-30 vs. 0W-30.

Yeah that 3.1L GM motor is a fine powerplant. Wishing you many happy miles.
I’m reasonably certain Amsoil blends up some fine lubricants and fluids.

Just can’t get past the MLM-like pitches some gearhead friends and acquaintances lay on too thick.
AFAIK Amsoil has yet to meet the M-B 229.5 (not 229.51’s low-SAPS) specification with any of its “Euro” oils.
That’s proven a trustworthy benchmark for “good” oils in my AMGs.

No offense to Pablo and other upstanding loyal BITOG members.
smile.gif

Good luck with yours!

Originally Posted By: jaynissan12
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I agree. Why 10W30? Why not run 0W30 Amsoil signature series? That's their best oil.

If money was no object I would run Amsoil 0W30 with an Amsoil EA oil filter and change it every 5K miles. I agree with 3800Series in that I would rather have fresh oil and a fresh filter more often than running the same oil and oil filter for a long period of time and a ton of miles.

I don't care what oils and filters guarantee in terms of protection, I would NEVER run any oil or filter for a long period of time. Oil and filters are cheap insurance and they ensure that you won't have an oil related failure. $30-$50 for oil and filter will protect thousands of dollars worth of engine repairs or engine replacement.

5k is on the very safe side. Not trying to bash anyone but synthetic oil (as a whole) has virtually no breakdown (over a reasonable time period).

Additives will be lost before the oil is actually bad. Oil is a 2 step system. Oil to lubricate additives to help better lubricate. Iv personally witnessed a women go 20k miles on conventional oil. And the car still runs many years later.

Would I do it? No, but my car calls for 7.5k OCI with conventional oil and this was rated back on oil quality nearly 20 years ago. I feel 10k is safe for a synthetic oil as long as you don't do 10 mile trips in your car and its all city driving.

Personally I follow the 7.5k OCI and I don't have a problem but I also drive 95% at speeds of 45-75. I'm sure if I wanted to push it I could safely do 12k.

I wouldn't change amsoil oil (or any other synthetic) at 5k.

That's not true in every case, some engines are harder on oil that oils, especially when it comes to shearing the oil to or near out of grade whether its mechanical or thermal shearing. In those cases the HTHS value matters more in order to "go longer" on the interval with any oil being used.

Granted yes, but I know theses (my) engine very well. Iv owned 3 of them. They are very gentle on oil. They are reliable and just all around a great engine that GM perfected over 40 years.

Originally Posted By: 340_Magnum
The engine specifies 5w-30 but I've always been a little partial to 10w-30 since it usually has a lower NOACK value and is more shear-stable than 5w-30 oil. It's just a personal preference.

Very small differences. Most likely has lower pour point than most 5w-xx's.

Code:

AMSOIL SS 0W-30 10W-30

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D 445). . . 10.4 10.5

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D 445). . . 58.3 62.5

Viscosity Index (ASTM D 2270). . . . . . . . . . . 170 158

CCS Viscosity, cP @ (ºC) (ASTM D 5293) . . . . . 5909 (-35) 3646 (-25)

Pour Point ºC (ºF) (ASTM D 97) . . . . . . . . . .-51 (-60) -48 (-54)

NOACK Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D 5800) . 7.6 5.3

High-Temperature/High-Shear Viscosity

@ 150ºC, 1.0 X 106 s.-1, cP (ASTM D 5481). . . . . 3.1 3.2

Total Base Number (ASTM D 2896). . . . . . . . . 12.6 12.6

Originally Posted By: deven
Why 10w30 in Pennsylvania?
Why not Syn oils for any given viscosity work better in cold than petro. oil.

Amsoil does nothing better that I can't get at Walmart for much cheaper with no shipping costs. IE Mobil-1 Extended Performance or Royal Purple. I change my oil when the oil life computer tells me to. Anybody who runs Amsoil for 25K mile service interval in an engine needs to see a psychologist.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Amsoil does nothing better that I can't get at Walmart for much cheaper with no shipping costs. IE Mobil-1 Extended Performance or Royal Purple. I change my oil when the oil life computer tells me to. Anybody who runs Amsoil for 25K mile service interval in an engine needs to see a psychologist.

Well I agree with the first part about the Walmart comment however if Amsoil really can go 25000 miles why not run it out that far.
Everyone I know who runs extended intervals with Amsoil ends up needing to add oil at some point during the interval. Enough top ups would re-additize the sump and raises the tbn which could very well mean the oil can go that 25000 mile advertised interval.
No way would I run the oil 25000 miles if no top ups though.
I've seen many Amsoil used oil analysis and in a gas engine I've not yet seen anyone going 25000 miles. Their diesel oil seems to easily achieve 25000+ miles though.

Why would you do that? I've got no issue with people sticking to their OLM, but why waste money on M1 or overpriced RP to do that? You can get Amsoil OE delivered to your door for less than those two if you just follow the OLM. It's line one, your shrink, I think. OTOH, some situations can go beyond 25K with a good oil. You essentially call people insane for logically extending their OCI's? I'm pretty sure a certain moderator won't jump in here, but I would think he would disagree with you.

So for you to not sound or come off like an a$$ allow me to alter your words:

"Anybody who blindly runs Amsoil for 25K mile service intervals in an engine without logically determining if the equipment and situation are appropriate probably lacks some judgement skills."

Quote:

Given a particular circumstance, Amsoil will run longer than it's competitors. Is it that much longer to make economic sense. That's what uoa's are for. In some situations it works, others it does not. Depends on engine and driving habit.

I've seen UOA's where Amsoil SS was done at 10,000 miles, and others at 15,000 where it could go much further. And yes, there is one on here in excess of 25000 miles and the UOA was still good. So the proper thing to do is not run blind as Pablo says.

Do your research, test w/UOA's to determine the best interval for you and your particular engine and circumstance.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Why would you do that? I've got no issue with people sticking to their OLM, but why waste money on M1 or overpriced RP to do that? You can get Amsoil OE delivered to your door for less than those two if you just follow the OLM. It's line one, your shrink, I think. OTOH, some situations can go beyond 25K with a good oil. You essentially call people insane for logically extending their OCI's? I'm pretty sure a certain moderator won't jump in here, but I would think he would disagree with you.

So for you to not sound or come off like an a$$ allow me to alter your words:

"Anybody who blindly runs Amsoil for 25K mile service intervals in an engine without logically determining if the equipment and situation are appropriate probably lacks some judgement skills."

One could reasonably add "common sense" to that list, and a lack of adequate knowledge of what they're actually dealing with in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Well I agree with the first part about the Walmart comment however if Amsoil really can go 25000 miles why not run it out that far.
Everyone I know who runs extended intervals with Amsoil ends up needing to add oil at some point during the interval. Enough top ups would re-additize the sump and raises the tbn which could very well mean the oil can go that 25000 mile advertised interval.
No way would I run the oil 25000 miles if no top ups though.

Precisely.
Periodical top ups can make quite a big difference to the long term outcome.

I believe, that's why when running a Frantz bypass filter and changing the filter element at the recommended intervals, it's actually possible to push out the OCI's to the >100,000 mile region in some engine applications.

As an example of what's possible.
I have UOA's from one particular engine with a 3.7 l oil capacity, that verify the difference in the oil's reserve with a single small 200 ml top up over a given OCI, and with a total of 3x larger top up quantity over the same OCI.
The actual difference between the UOA's is staggering in terms of the oils life span.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back