Charged By Dogs on Bicycle (Different Dogs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People that need to own dogs large and powerful enough to kill other humans as pets have some kind of mental defect. Pit bulls, Rottweilers, and the like - these breeds should be banned and very likely will be at some point in a more educated and civilized future.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
People that need to own dogs large and powerful enough to kill other humans as pets have some kind of mental defect. Pit bulls, Rottweilers, and the like - these breeds should be banned and very likely will be at some point in a more educated and civilized future.

Surely you can't be serious..

Oooooh, now you've gone and done it!!!

Mmm, mmm, mmm, lotta folks are gonna HATE you for that comment!

Start talking bad about pit bulls and a lot of people really get their panties in a wad!

I tend to blame the owners personally regardless of the breed. In this specific situation we have a pack of German Shepherds dangerously running free. They are protective by nature. Most good dogs are. Any breed would act this way if they weren't tied up, pinned up, disciplined etc.

Once again.. It's the owners fault. Banning breeds won't stop the poor owners behavior. As a gun enthusiast, I'm surprised the OP doesn't comprehend this.

It's the PEOPLE that aren't educated and civil...nothing to do with the breed.

As proof, the statement you've made lacks education. (Sorry, but that's how I see it).

My girlfriend used to live alone. She owned a very kind (but protective) pit bull. Late one night....a burglar (or possible rapist) tried to enter a bedroom window while she slept. That pit bull was a light sleeper. The piece of filth trying to get into the house was stopped and HELD with one leg in the window....until police were called.
The dirt ball went to jail...my girlfriend was SAVED...and the pit bull had some fun.

But you see my gal as having a "mental defect"?

Last edited:
I am afraid to go walking in the small town where my parents live. When I lived there, I was constantly being chased by aggressive dogs. There is a leash law for the county, but apparently no one follows it

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The officer was probably cousins with the parents.

That picture and story sadly in mind makes me think what I think of the South....

And I bet you're first in line to call folks you don't know "racist".

I have often wondered if Dog owners should be licensed to own a dog.
The same way you are licensed to own a car, and are responsible for any damage that might occur due to negligence.

This could also insure that the owner is able and (likely) intends to, look after the animal in a responsible manner.

Yeh, I know, it's more government interference, but some people just should not have dogs.

So because a pet is large and powerful it should be banned ? What's next ? Large, powerful people ? Maybe any pet larger than a gerbil ? Obviously, it has nothing to do with an irresponsible owner. Yeah, that sounds like an educated and civilized society. I just don't know what to say....

Originally Posted By: expat
The same way you are licensed to own a car, and are responsible for any damage that might occur due to negligence.

This could also insure that the owner is able and (likely) intends to, look after the animal in a responsible manner.

Yeh, I know, it's more government interference, but some people just should not have dogs.

Some people should also not have kids so how can we handle that?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: expat

Some people should also not have kids so how can we handle that?

Well, I agree. But that is another matter.

Thought I'd just throw this into the mix:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...months-ago.html

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I tend to blame the owners personally regardless of the breed. In this specific situation we have a pack of German Shepherds dangerously running free. They are protective by nature. Most good dogs are. Any breed would act this way if they weren't tied up, pinned up, disciplined etc.

Once again.. It's the owners fault. Banning breeds won't stop the poor owners behavior. As a gun enthusiast, I'm surprised the OP doesn't comprehend this.

I was really kinda poking fun at the overzealous pit bull people. It doesn't take much to get them riled up.

Kidding aside, though, you can't say breed has nothing to do with aggression in a dog. Certain breeds (Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Chows, Dobermans, Shepherds, for example) have had aggression bred into them over decades or even centuries. There's a reason that the breeds I just mentioned account for the vast majority of attacks.

While it is true that a good, conscientious owner who initiates an obedience training program can and most often does make a huge difference, nurture can never fully overcome nature. Along those same lines, no animal can ever be fully trusted.

I say all of this as a life-long dog owner and dog lover.

You can't always tell how tough a dog is by size and reputation. In a dog park nearby a skin-head looking guy with a big tough looking pit bull on a leash was encouraging his dog to intimidate people and other dogs. He did this with a little old lady and her little dachshund. The dachshund did not give an inch, stood his ground. He did not bark but stared straight at the pit bull. A fight started because the pit bull owner pushed his dog ahead and before anyone could break it up the pit bull was dead. The dachshund went straight to it, he evidently knew exactly what and how to take care of business. It was the highest energy defense of an attack I've ever seen. The bigger pit bull did not have a chance. His throat was completely torn open and his forehead around his eyes looks like hamburger and the same for the area around both hind legs. The old lady had fallen but was not hurt. The little dog went back to her side and cuddled up with her with his little tail wagging. The police and animal control arrived very quickly and the police arrested the pit bull owner. The police officers did ask several times if we were sure there were no other dogs involved. So the moral if this story is mind your own business.

Wow this was one stupid post.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Wow this was one stupid post.

No, not a stupid post. There are those that know how others should behave and we're luck we have them around to help the rest of us or we'd be lost in the wilderness. Be grateful that one of those people has taken time out of his/her important life to share their wisdom with us, the poor unfortunate. Picking a dog for a pet is just one of the many and varied areas that they can guide us so that we will know how to behave in their world, once we are accepted.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I am afraid to go walking in the small town where my parents live. When I lived there, I was constantly being chased by aggressive dogs. There is a leash law for the county, but apparently no one follows it
Bear spray the most fun you can have with a strange dog.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Clevy - A few weeks ago I cycled the Canmore-Banff Legacy Trail. Incredible! No bears I'm glad to say.

Wait til spring. When they wake up and are hungry.

Beautiful town though.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Cujet
On a ride a few years back, I was chased by a neighborhood pit bull. A regular thing. He was fast, but I was faster, most days. One day, I could not outrun him (tired and headwind) I pulled my gun on the dog. He understood! Weird.

Anyway, we now have an "understanding". The dog comes out of the yard, but stays away from me always. I stop to pet his "buddy". It's really a strange situation, as the aggressive dog wants to be pet too, but won't come near me. Hahahahaha!

I believe this dog wants you to be assertive and for you to show him you are a dominate leader. I am a reformed Pit Bull hater. I despised the breed before I rescued a Pit Bull pup now I have found out what many Pit Bull owners know and historically have known. Pit Bull's can be the most loyal and non aggressive dog to people in the canine world and I actually prefer the breed to all others. The issue is Pit Bulls are a very strong and athletic breed that needs to have a strong willed attentive owner. Pit Bulls are so loyal they will do whatever their owner teaches them without question or fail. Combine all the strong traits of a Pit Bull with a bung hole owner or a lackadaisical unattentive owner you have a recipe for disaster.

Agreed. Though I've never hated the breed it is absolutely on the owner if the dog goes bad.
Dogs are like wolves. They are pack/family oriented and need a leader,a strong leader,or they think they are the boss.
I've had large dogs all my life. In my youth I kept them for protection of my "investments" and whatnot so I learned in a hurry that if a dog thinks it's the boss,and is strong enough to enforce this idea,you have to nip that idea in the bud in a serious hurry.
Dogs aren't born bad. It's acquired.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I was really kinda poking fun at the overzealous pit bull people. It doesn't take much to get them riled up.

Kidding aside, though, you can't say breed has nothing to do with aggression in a dog. Certain breeds (Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Chows, Dobermans, Shepherds, for example) have had aggression bred into them over decades or even centuries. There's a reason that the breeds I just mentioned account for the vast majority of attacks.

While it is true that a good, conscientious owner who initiates an obedience training program can and most often does make a huge difference, nurture can never fully overcome nature. Along those same lines, no animal can ever be fully trusted.

I say all of this as a life-long dog owner and dog lover.

I can honestly say I have never heard of aggression being breed into a dog. Maybe if the dog was born in a puppy mill or something of the sort to be sold to a pet store? Those are never good choices when wanting to pick out a pet. I could call those genetic disorders.

It is very hard to blame a specific breed on aggression. All dogs can be aggressive.. some just cause more damage than others because of their size, jaw strength etc. Those are the attacks people hear about. Would you have posted this issue to BIGOG if a pack of Chihuahuas chased you? Maybe to be humorous, but it wouldn't have upset you like this did.

Just as an example, the first dog to ever bit my girlfriend at her vet job was a pug. Go figure. 2 years ago when I visited her for lunch, I had the privilege of meeting a recused pit bull mutt named Tank. The PO used to keep him in a mobile home with broken windows and only feed him a few times a week.. He was an absolute baby and would put his head under my hand so he could get more attention. The list of examples can go on.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
There is something about the sound that a bicycle makes that sets dogs off.....

It's not the sound, it's the speed and motion. Dogs see (fast) cyclists as a threat - a charging predator.

The less disciplined the dogs are, the more uncontrolled their response...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back