Standardizing on 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one vehicle that needs 5W-20 and another vehicle that needs 5W-30. I'd sure like to just stock one weight of oil. I'm considering just putting 5W-30 in both vehicles.

Is that a bad idea? Thoughts?

I think the real question is are you going too run AMSOIL or RP?

Probably the weight is a secondary issue. You could probably mix to get 5-25 and that would be ok, too.

Maybe not if you use them for heavy loads, towing heavy loads on the highway in the mountains ,or death valley.

Maybe use that 5W-40 like in your Jetta in all of them.

Your '07 FJ Cruiser has been back spec'd for a 5W-20 grade.
And since you're not adverse to using expensive oils I'd recommend Amsoil OE 0W-20 for both. It is heavier than an OEM 5W-20 but not as heavy as their OE 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I've heard that elsewhere but I've never been able to find a reputable source online. Can you tell me where you heard that?

Originally Posted By: datech

I think the real question is are you going too run AMSOIL or RP?

Probably the weight is a secondary issue. You could probably mix to get 5-25 and that would be ok, too.

Maybe not if you use them for heavy loads, towing heavy loads on the highway in the mountains ,or death valley.

Maybe use that 5W-40 like in your Jetta in all of them.

I'm moving everything over to Amsoil.

I didn't really thinking putting the 5W-40 in all my vehicles would be a good idea.

I'm actually considering moving the Caravan and the FJ to 0W-30 and keeping the Jetta at 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: Tony_Mack

I'm moving everything over to Amsoil.

I didn't really thinking putting the 5W-40 in all my vehicles would be a good idea.

I'm actually considering moving the Caravan and the FJ to 0W-30 and keeping the Jetta at 5W-40.

Is it the 3.6 in the Caravan? If so that will probably work well, since the 3.6 was originally specified to use a 30 weight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tony_Mack
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I've heard that elsewhere but I've never been able to find a reputable source online. Can you tell me where you heard that?

It's the recommendation of Toyota Canada but the source of the info actually comes Toyota Japan.
Amsoil 0W-30 is no lighter on start-up than a typical premium 5W-30 syn.
My recommendation of Amsoil OE 0W-20 for both the Caravan and FJ is conservative as that oil has a higher HTHSV than what the OEMs require.

The

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Is it the 3.6 in the Caravan? If so that will probably work well, since the 3.6 was originally specified to use a 30 weight.

No, the Caravan has the 3.8L engine in it.

Either or will work just fine. If you like 20 grades go with them,or if you prefer a 30 grade then stay with it.
The 20 grades will gain you a minute gain in fuel economy if you care.

5W-30 will be just fine in your Grand Caravan's 3.8L engine. It runs great on 5W-20 (I owned an '03 and an '07 myself), but 5W-30 is fine.

If you're paying the price for synthetic, my opinion is go to a 0W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back