Mercedes change from Mobil 1 to Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
most "synthetics" being group III mineral oils require more VII + pour point depressants with a wider spread of viscosities unless some PAO real synthetic is added to the base oils. a real synthetic PAO 10-30 starts as a 30 wt + naturally functions as a 10 wt NO pour point depressants-NO viscosity index improvers- NO WAX, thats why real synthetics cost more, nan formulated in a lab!!

"Real" synthetics cost more if the market indicates that. That's certainly not always the case. Boutiques and brands that are far more common overseas can, of course, be out to lunch with respect to pricing. However, there are primarily PAO oils available that are extraordinarily affordable.

Originally Posted By: benjy
most "synthetics" being group III mineral oils require more VII + pour point depressants with a wider spread of viscosities unless some PAO real synthetic is added to the base oils. a real synthetic PAO 10-30 starts as a 30 wt + naturally functions as a 10 wt NO pour point depressants-NO viscosity index improvers- NO WAX, thats why real synthetics cost more, nan formulated in a lab!!

Don't agree.
There are GP III and GP III+ base oils that can have higher VIs than PAO and ester oils.
The aforementioned M1 SN 0W-40 is a GP III based oil and while it's extreme cold performance spec's are not as could as it once was that's totally academic for most applications. So name an API or ACEA approved PAO based 40 grade PCMO oil that is a better lube because I haven't uncovered it.

Originally Posted By: Pelican
Thank you Doug for the kind and reassuring words!
Believe it or not my engine is happier with 5W40 than 0W40. I did try Mobil 1 0W40 and the engine was a bit noisy at start up when I switched to 5W40 that noise disappeared, infact it was the dealer (MB owned) that told me that that's what they used in their cars.
I remember the days when oil was not so specific and any good brand in the appropriate weight would do. Now you must have a PhD in mechanical engineering to be able to make a choice.
Regards

I also noticed the M1 0w40 noise and the PU Euro 5w40 has been way quieter, although it's TBN was lower than expected at 5,200 miles.

I have Castrol 0w40 ready to go in next. After that I'll go back to M1 0w40 to clean up the Castrol varnish (I hope that's just a joke).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back