Parking brake shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
How hard are these to change? This is on my 2008 CRV. The parking brake goes to the floor. One would think these are a lifetime item since there only used as a parking brake. Either way it has to be done. Thanks.

Check them out first, they may just need an adjustment!
Do you have drum brakes or all disk?

Well, if they're the type of shoes that are under the rotor hats(4 wheel disk), the shoes can be worn away from the rust beneath the rotor hat.

Some 4 wheel disk also use the regular rear brakes as the parking brakes with a "turn in(not press in) piston"

If they're under the rotor hats, they're as easy/hard to change as any drum brakes. You may have to remove the wheel bearing(hub assembly) to access/install the new shoes/spring but, it's not too difficult. I have done it w/o removing the hub assembly but, that takes toooooo long.

Make sure that you get a new hardware kit as well as the new shoes.

Shoes are real easy to change, hold down clips, springs and a cable are you you need to worry about.

If its your first time get both sides of the car in the air and both wheels off, then do one side at a time. This way, if you aren't sure what goes where you can look at the other side to see what it should be like.

I'll bet it just needs an adjustment. The CR-V uses conventional shoes inside the rotor hat, but I'd be very surprised if they needed replacement. Pull the rotor and inspect first.

They may only need an adjustment or a cable possibly broke (doubtful). They usually last a very long time unless something happens like delamination or rotten backing plates (both doubtful on an 08).

Adjustment from what i can tell is just a couple of 12mm nuts on the cables at the bottom of the parking brake handle. You might have to pull the center console.
Check the FSM.

Go to your auto parts store and pick up a repair manual. You will get step by step instructions and pictures to help out.
They usually only run about 25 bucks.

I had a 2008 CR-V, the parking brake is not hard to adjust. I might even still have a printout of the procedure at home. I think you can find the procedure through Autozone's online repair help too.

Jack up the rear wheels, take the wheels off, and pull the rubber plug out of the face of the rotor. Turn it to line up with the adjusting star. Tighten the adjusting star until it won't move, then back off 3 clicks. That's the coarse adjustment for the shoes, and that's all mine needed. The cable adjustment involved putting x number of clicks on the pedal, and tightening the cable adjuster until the wheels don't turn by hand.

Unless somebody went driving with the parking brake on, and ignored the furious beeping from the car warning the parking brake was on, I'm sure the shoes are fine.

Edit: Be careful putting the rubber plug back into the rotor, it's easy to push it through, and it's a pain to retrieve it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Check them out first, they may just need an adjustment!
Do you have drum brakes or all disk?

Well, if they're the type of shoes that are under the rotor hats(4 wheel disk), the shoes can be worn away from the rust beneath the rotor hat.

Some 4 wheel disk also use the regular rear brakes as the parking brakes with a "turn in(not press in) piston"

If they're under the rotor hats, they're as easy/hard to change as any drum brakes. You may have to remove the wheel bearing(hub assembly) to access/install the new shoes/spring but, it's not too difficult. I have done it w/o removing the hub assembly but, that takes toooooo long.

Make sure that you get a new hardware kit as well as the new shoes.

I looked at the adjustment last night and the shoes are worn. I tried to adjust the shoes outward but the adjust wheel was already all the way. We bought the CRV certified used three years ago so I'm sure honda checked them but decided not to change them. It's disk brakes with shoes on the inside for the parking brake.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'll bet it just needs an adjustment. The CR-V uses conventional shoes inside the rotor hat, but I'd be very surprised if they needed replacement. Pull the rotor and inspect first.

That's what I thought at first. We bought it three years ago certified used. Hondas fix I'm sure was too adjust them and replace them.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I am assuming that the P-Brake lever is a FOOT Push and not a HAND Pull type?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Go to your auto parts store and pick up a repair manual. You will get step by step instructions and pictures to help out.
They usually only run about 25 bucks.

I've got the factory service manual....even better.

i have never seen a set of parking brake shoes worn to the point of needing to be replaced. often the rotors get replaced and the shoes are not adjusted back up.

probly just need adjusted.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
i have never seen a set of parking brake shoes worn to the point of needing to be replaced. often the rotors get replaced and the shoes are not adjusted back up.

probly just need adjusted.

I wish it was that easy....trust me their worn. In fact if I set the parking brake the drivers side wheel catches as were the passenger side just spins. I took off the drivers side disk off and it showed very little shoe left.....I can only amagin what the passenger side shows.

It needs new shoes. Make sure the drum part of the rotors are not all scored up.
You have the FSM so your all set, it isn't difficult. When you adjust them do it with the calipers pads retracted and just until the shoes scratch the the drum with no real resistance.
Apply the e brake a few times to make sure they are seated and maintaining adjustment before pressing the foot brake.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It needs new shoes.

WE have a year-old RAV4 that has the drum-in-hat parking brake. This is the first car I've ever owned with that type of parking brake, so this thread is significant to me.

Please tell me how it's possible for the shoes to get worn, since I can't see any possible wear mechanism that would erode the friction surface, unless you were in the habit of using the parking brake to stop the car. What am I missing?

I have no idea other than someone before he got the car had a habit of driving it with the e brake partially engaged.
The only set i ever needed to change of this type was because of a delaminated shoe on an Expedition. Normally there is no wear on them to speak of.

I notice that part of the servicing for the RAV4 involves periodic "burnishing" of the parking brake shoes. Is that meant to refresh the friction surface? And how do they do that?

It involves nothing more than very lightly applying the e brake while the car is moving at a low speed for a couple of seconds. It keeps the rust off the inside of the drum.
Depending on your climate every few months should do it. Don't lock the wheels just apply til it drags slightly and release, you will hear it. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back