2010 Jettas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to look at one of these on Friday. Any advice? From what I have been able to research, they don't seem to exhibit too many problems.

My daughter has a 2008 Se with a 2.5. It is a great little car. I enjoy driving it. I would say they are solid cars. I changed her transmission fluid at 50k miles.Vw wants plugs at either 50 or 60k.

Terribly cheaply made interior (that's how they dropped the price on that generation) is WELL documented. Might wanna read up on that a bit ...

This is from one of the MANY reviews that slammed that gen. Jetta for its interior. (Wagon still has the higher quality interior)

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/08/review-2011-volkswagen-jetta/
Quote:
By the time you start touching things, it’s clear that there’s no point in even comparing this car to its predecessor.

But how many consumers out there knock on a car’s dashboard during the buying decision? Volkswagen is clearly betting that not many do, because the shockingly hollow-sounding experience does not inspire confidence. On the other hand, plenty of consumers do use HVAC dials, and the Jetta’s wiggle when you grab them, like skinny Elvis after a handful of dexedrine (or, to use a less indulgent simile, like a Scion xD’s). In fact, nearly everything you touch will tell you that VW has taken a page from Toyota’s consequence-free decontenting spree, and that any sense of European charm is strictly coincidental

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Terribly cheaply made interior (that's how they dropped the price on that generation) is WELL documented. Might wanna read up on that a bit ...

You're confused on years.

The 2010 is the last year of the MK5, so it still has the high-quality interior and independent rear suspension. 2011 is when they started the dumbed-down, de-contented MK6. The interiors on the MK6 really are bad.

I looked at a 2011. I don't really care that much about the hard plastic dash, as I never touch the dash. But the door panels and every other interior panel is also cheap, hard plastic. It's a huge step down from my 2010 Jetta.

To the OP-

I have a 2010 Jetta. The driving dynamics and interior quality are way better than most cars in the class. It's sort of a semi-premium small car.

Mine has the manual and it has a nice shifter and clutch compared to other cars in the class.

By 2010, it seems VW had improved their reliability over the 1990s and early 2000s cars that gave them a bad name, but it's not perfect. The door latch mechanisms fail pretty commonly. I have already replaced one and another one is now failing.

It's now 4 years old and has 50k miles. Other than the door latch, it's been problem free. Maintenance isn't anything crazy. 10k oil changes with full syn that meets vw 502 and other normal flushes. The 2.5 has a timing chain, not a belt.

By the time our 2000 New Beetle was 4 years old it was getting quite a few electrical problems, so the Jetta is definitely better in that regard.

Mine has the 2.5. Don't believe the hate spread by auto journalists. The 2.5 is a solid engine and is reliable. The early years had timing chain issues, but that was fixed well before 2010.

The 2.5 may not be the most refined, powerful or fuel efficient engine, but it's not the worst engine in those areas, either. It's harsh sounding before it warms up, but then it's perfectly smooth and quiet. It has a nice growl when you get on it, too.

One thing the car needs is a 6th gear on the manual trans. The RPM are too high on the highway when I'm cruising at 75. A 6th gear would improve mileage.

girlfriend had an 08 jetta 2.5L very good car, traded at 78,000 for a 13 malibu because thats how she operates. used NO oil changed yearly with Amsoil 10-30 signature series, filter at 6 months. hoping the bu don't have direct injection carbon issues for her sake. i drove it quite a bit + prefer it over the bu, good performance + she averaged over 30 MPG with lots of short trips + granny like driving. 13 malibu had NO spare just a fix_a_flat pump kit, didn't notice until too late $500 for a donut kit for it. jetta has room for a real spare although it has a temporary.

Last edited:
I worked with a lady who had one and it wouldn't start when it rained. German's make great cars but I think it pains them to admit an American harnessed electricity. They haven't grasped it yet.

The one I'll be looking at has the 2.5. Thanks for the comments. I'm glad the '10 still has the quality interior, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back