Thesis on lubricating oil systems -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Quote:
Thesis submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy

Huh?

Thin vs thick oils is often a philosophical discussion for us!

Not questioning it, but how relevant is 1994 information on this topic to 2014 situations? A lot has changed in 20 years. But are the fundamentals, as they were known in 1994, still appropriate?

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Not questioning it, but how relevant is 1994 information on this topic to 2014 situations? A lot has changed in 20 years. But are the fundamentals, as they were known in 1994, still appropriate?

Nothing fundamental has changed in fluid dynamics or thermodynamics. The analysis should still hold for new oil compositions- you just have to realize that viscosity will vary less with temperature than it did in 1994, and 2nd order effects like shear of multi-grade oils will be less. The fundamental behavior of a fluid in a bearing space hasn't changed and never will change. How the fluid reacts to temperature and shear might change.

I've got a mate who while studying ceramic engineering, obtained a Doctorate in Philosphy at the same time...it's not plastic surgery.

I, too, knew some PhDs who majored in philosophy. Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy, I guess. Is the PhD who majored in philosophy the usual way for an engineer to get a Phd?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back