2014 silverado oil issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I ran it through the rpm range maybe 3 times would be my best guess. I have read online that gm feels 1000 miles to a quart is acceptable. I'm going to call gm tomorrow to see what they have to say. I'm hoping they will do something about it because the dealer just kinda blows me off when I mention this to them. I certainly don't want to keep the truck if this continues but I'm sure I'd take a huge hit trading it in. It just sucks that my first new truck since 97 and it's having issues already.

definitely call GM corporate and raise [censored]
Tell them this is unacceptable you want to set up monitoring via the dealer, you check in every 500miles or 1k and the check the oil level
to establish if it under 1000miles/quart

watch them do this so they dont lie to you

Last edited:
There is so much misinformation in this thread its mind boggling. All these 5w-30/10w30 people come out of the wood work, saying to put a non-recommended grade of oil in an under warranty 2014 35,000 dollar truck... Geeze.. I am sure they have spent millions of dollars on R&D just like Chevy has.

OP, do not listen to anyone telling you to use an oil that is not specified by your owners manual, rest assured any 30 weight oil is not a magic fix to your problem.

DO keep doing what you have been, keeping records of oil changes and oil usage. The best recommendation made here, has been to run it hard to try and get these rings to seat. 4000 miles is nothing, if this continues for 10,000 miles + I'd start making a fuss at the dealer ship.

Doesn't Chevy have a 5 year 100k power train warranty? It is way too early to talk about trading this truck in lol.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a truck with AFM problems. The AFM kills the 4 center cylinders, if everything is correct no problem, if not the engine uses oil. Since its using this much oil you get oil dilution in the combustion chambers and it pings. Go to Google and type in Silverado 5.3 AFM problems, many posts.
As said before, let the dealer do ALL the oil changes at this point. That way they can't blame you for wrong oil, filter or whatever. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Sounds like you have a truck with AFM problems. The AFM kills the 4 center cylinders, if everything is correct no problem, if not the engine uses oil. Since its using this much oil you get oil dilution in the combustion chambers and it pings. Go to Google and type in Silverado 5.3 AFM problems, many posts.
As said before, let the dealer do ALL the oil changes at this point. That way they can't blame you for wrong oil, filter or whatever. Good Luck!

It is a completely redesigned engine. Yes the old 5.3 had oil issues but this is the first case I have heard and definitely not a common issue on the Silverado forums.

GM states that 1 quart of oil consumption is normal and within spec for every 1,000 miles driven. You are right at the threshold. The problem is that GM's TSB doesn't state for how many miles this condition of consumption is acceptable.

I am having the same issue with my 2014 Cadillac CTS-V equipped with the LSA engine, but my issue is because I have a manual transmission and I downshift a lot and drive the car hard. I have 4,400 miles on the engine and have gone through 3 full quarts.

GM won't perform an oil consumption test for you until you exceed 1 quart per 1,000 miles and they won't do this until you exceed the amount of miles required to rule out the argument that the piston rings haven't seated properly.

I would stick with the factory AC Delco Synthetic Blend Dexos 1 spec 0W20 and factory oil filter so they can't blame you for contributing to oil consumption if you do go to a different type of oil or a different viscosity.

You can change the oil as much as you want, but that won't cure the issue. All you will do is just have really fresh oil all the time. What I would do is maybe try going to a different dealership. Maybe they will do something different for you or investigate the issue deeper and not try to blow you off. Some dealers do that and it's annoying. Maybe you will find a dealer that has better techs that have dealt with the issue before and know the remedy. When I go to a dealer and they don't want to fix my issue, I try different dealers until I find the one that bends over backwards to fix the car.

Last edited:
I can only second what others have said, it's behaving NORMALLY.

All modern engines burn excessive oil until the rings bed in

Unfortunately if you don't get a bit rough with them early on then some engines can just carry on consuming oil like that throughout their lives

Last edited:
Don't change the oil either

Do the complete ODI on the factory fill oil and follow the running in process in the manual

With all the recalls on them so far (12?),I see the new GM trucks aren't going to be any less trouble than any of the previous generations.I hear that the frame rails are thinner too,so rust will be a problem in a few years.Mary Barras "new" GM isn't any better than the "old" (she's been with GM since 1981 anyway).

As stated there are lots of misinformation and bias in this thread. The anti-GM comments are appropriate for the juvenile discussions at pickuptrucks.com. The 5.3 in the 2014+ GM trucks is a completely new engine. The oil consumption issues on the 07-13 5.3 AFM engines has not yet been documented in the new engine. In addition, the consumption problem on the previous generation typically began around 50K miles. Two issues were identified by GM as the responsible culprit, a high pressure nozzle in the pan (which was covered by a shield in later production years) sprayed oil into the area of the deactivated pistons allowing for buildup around the rings, and a valve cover design (again modified in later model years) that allowed oil to be drawn into the intake more easily.

The new 5.3 is completely different and hasn't been plagued with the consumption issues yet. ( It has an 8.5 quart sump, piston cooling jets, etc) However most 14 trucks are low mileage and as stated the previous gen didn't see the problem until typically around 50K miles. Now for the OP's truck. It is very possible that it may be a ring issue and that with a little firm driving they may set and stop the problem. There is tons of warranty left for him to sort through the problem. However with the amount of consumption and the very atypical nature of this. I own a '14 Silverado with around 4600 miles and haven't seen the oil level move since new. (I haven't read of one of the new trucks doing this, either.) it is also very possible an internal assembly problem is responsible. (Maybe ring gaps being aligned on one cylinder)

The advice given about staying the course is correct. Continue down the 0W20 road. Dealer oil service can't hurt anything either. Document everything. You might want to look at a GM truck forum as GM has representatives monitoring the major sites and document there as well. Be reasonable but firm with your dealer. If you get no cooperation go to GM. I hope they get it sorted out for you.

Many modern cars and trucks seam to use oil on brake in my 2013 5.0 Mustang GT used about the same as your truck for 10,000 miles the dealer said its normal just drive it hard it will help seat the rings. Now with 15,000 miles it uses a lot less about a quart every 3,000 miles and I can live with that. Many guys on the Mustang forms have the same issue. I run Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 by the way.

Another comment... Many on the mustang forums suggest putting a load on the engine to seat the rings quicker like finding a big hill put it in second gear driving get the revs up and let her spin down. For some reason the deceleration load helps to seat the rings better-faster.

Get on that truck hard for a tank of gas or two. If it's been used as a commuter, that to me means that the engine hasn't been pushed very hard if at all. Driving it like a responsible speed-freak, including lots of WOT when the engine is warmed up, will help it burn less oil.

GM did have a cylinder "striping" issue with the early US-made Cruze engines that caused excessive oil consumption. A new shortblock was the fix for the limited run of cars with that issue.

Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
I'm documenting every time I add oil and going to keep going to the dealer for oil changes so they can't say I'm not maintaining the truck. The other issue I noticed with it is the motor pings a lot on 87 octane. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. The dealer said both issues are normal. I will give it a few hard runs to see if that helps at all it just ticks me off I saved for years to afford this truck.

Have you tried running the truck on 89 or 91 octane to see if that relieves the pinging problem? It shouldn't ping, and I don't care what the dealer says.

I'll cast another vote for not babying the truck too much. If you bought it to tow or haul, do so. The extra load on the engine may help it break in. But if you still have pinging when the engine is heavily loaded, don't keep running it in that condition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ram01
I knew this would happen with GM moving to this light weight oil

However I know three friends that have these trucks and using 0-20 with no oil consumption to speak of.

Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I found this website looking for advise on my new 2014 silverado I purchased in August. My truck has the 5.3 engine and my issue is excessive oil consumption. My truck calls for 0-20 oil and it's using about a quart per 900 miles. The dealer said this is normal and the engine is still breaking in. I have 4200 miles on the truck and this just seems excessive to me. It just drive it for commuting I haven't towed at all and haven't even hauled a heady load in the bed yet. Any advise would be appreciated. I'm sick over this I paid $35000 for this truck and I saved for years trying to afford a new truck. Thank you

Jschreffler81, check under My Stuff at the top of the BITOG webpage for a Personal Message.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advise and suggestions on what to do with my truck. I was surprised but I have two emails from two separate people with gm regarding my issue they seen here at Bitog last night and today. I was surprised too see they monitor this forum too. And from the email I received they want to take a look at this truck right away and resolve my issue. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks

GM is everywhere.... They are watching you
smile.gif
. (GM if you are reading this I was just kidding).

I also have a 2014 5.3 and I'm currently at 25,200 miles. Motor had the dealership 0W-20 and now is on it's first run of M1 0W-20. I check the oil level pretty regularly and it doesn't move. I have never added any oil over 6,000 OCI's.

I visit the 2014 forum on gm-trucks.com pretty regularly and haven't seen any talking about oil consumption issues on the new Ecotec3 motors. What you are experiencing definitely does't sound normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back