The new Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched and searched to something different but had to buy something and Chevy came with a 100k warranty that I hope I dont have to use or fight them on like I did my last one

Yes the trans case is aluminum which has been proven to work but plastic trans pans have not nor aluminum suspension parts or frames.

Dodge must be doing something right!! Usually it was only GM that could bring this much hate to thread!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Is 3 mpg better really worth $35k more? And I have reached 24mpg.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Does anyone know if the V-6 Ram has the good 8 speed tranny like this? I like the EPA ratings of 25 mpg. The best I've been able to pull off with my 4.3 has been 22.

Since my Silverado is new (almost), I wasn't going to buy anything just over a few MPG. It just impressed me as pretty good for a fullsize p/u. BTW my truck was 24K new, but it is 2WD, 4.3 w/t with the LS package, which has the chrome wheels and grille. Kind of a basic truck but I do have power windows and locks.

So if plastic pans dont last how come Mercedes is using it for their heavy duty fleet like in the link I provided earlier in this thread?

I think this tread has proven that when you spend the big $$$ you don't want to hear you may have made a mistake.

karma always catches up to trolls.

I think this tread has proven that when you spend the big $$$ you don't want to hear you may have made a mistake.
How do we know a mistake was made? It is a nice truck and I have considered purchasing one. Yes I did I walked in with my check book and pen in hand looked at the Rams,Write the check and all mine !!! . Almost bought one but I just couldn't write the check. Don't call me cheap call me thrifty. I can only hope Steve SRT8 enjoys his truck and it is flawless through out his ownership of the RAM.

Why am I a troll?

I am done until I hear the whining about problems with your golden trucks

I think it's self explanatory.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Thanks for pooping all over my thread!

is it just me, or does he only show up to complain in threads about new trucks?

Yup it is tragic to see people getting fooled by big auto...

Got the same reactions from people in 2001 when I bought a brand new Honda that was a lemon. Lost friends over that one. No one could believe a Honda was a lemon.

If you're a Debbie Downer to all of your friends when they buy a new car, you wouldn't be my friend very long either.

Yes the trans case is aluminum which has been proven to work but plastic trans pans have not nor aluminum suspension parts or frames.

Simplistic statements like this KILL your credibility.

Did you know the front ends on our 3500 fleet vans have forged aluminum LOWER control arms? In accidents, abusive driving, off road adventures, etc., they have proven to be much stronger than the stamped steel they replaced. SINCE 2004!!!

If you wish to be taken seriously you simply must smarten up a bit!

Last edited:
I think you are lucky you passed on it. Wait until a few others drive it and see what flaws come up.

Originally Posted By: CT8
How do we know a mistake was made? It is a nice truck and I have considered purchasing one. Yes I did I walked in with my check book and pen in hand looked at the Rams,Write the check and all mine !!! . Almost bought one but I just couldn't write the check. Don't call me cheap call me thrifty. I can only hope Steve SRT8 enjoys his truck and it is flawless through out his ownership of the RAM.

Last edited:
It was MY Honda that was a lemon. Bought it brand new. Fought Honda for a year. Even when my friends drove it that could not believe it. Its a Honda they would say can't be anything wrong with it. They could not believe their own senses. Same thing here it will take time to see that the auto makers are not flawless whether its Dodge, Honda, Chevy or whoever.

Originally Posted By: whip
Why am I a troll?

I am done until I hear the whining about problems with your golden trucks

I think it's self explanatory.

Thanks for pooping all over my thread!

is it just me, or does he only show up to complain in threads about new trucks?

Yup it is tragic to see people getting fooled by big auto...

Got the same reactions from people in 2001 when I bought a brand new Honda that was a lemon. Lost friends over that one. No one could believe a Honda was a lemon.

If you're a Debbie Downer to all of your friends when they buy a new car, you wouldn't be my friend very long either.

Last edited:
Buying a $50k truck with a unproven 8 speed trans among other things without seeing if it gonna hold up does not seem smart to me. I have "smarten up" a bit. I learned from my mistakes and don't trust big auto and I wait to see what problems develop before I buy the first year model changes.

Simplistic statements like this KILL your credibility.

Did you know the front ends on our 3500 fleet vans have forged aluminum LOWER control arms? In accidents, abusive driving, off road adventures, etc., they have proven to be much stronger than the stamped steel they replaced. SINCE 2004!!!

If you wish to be taken seriously you simply must smarten up a bit!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
So if plastic pans dont last how come Mercedes is using it for their heavy duty fleet like in the link I provided earlier in this thread?

I don't have a concern about the plastic pans "lasting", my disappointment is having to shell out $300 every 60K miles for this. I was looking into a new truck for a while which I would put 25K - 30K on a year....but this might take me out of the 8 speed Ram market.....at least until aftermarket makes a much, much cheaper alternative. A bit disappointing.

That' not fair. I am trying to help by showing the big companies just want your $$. My neighbor is retired and up in age. Just bought a vehicle with a turbo. His last vehicle was non-turbo. Never changed the oil. But he managed to get by. I tried to help him before he bought. He did not even know he has a turbo. Did no research just wrote a check. Do you think the dealerships cares that the turbo will give out with no oil changes? Or he just wasted $40k? No all they care about is the $$.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

That' not fair. I am trying to help by showing the big companies just want your $$. My neighbor is retired and up in age. Just bought a vehicle with a turbo. His last vehicle was non-turbo. Never changed the oil. But he managed to get by. I tried to help him before he bought. He did not even know he has a turbo. Did no research just wrote a check. Do you think the dealerships cares that the turbo will give out with no oil changes? Or he just wasted $40k? No all they care about is the $$.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

So your neighbor never changes his oil, and that's somehow the dealer's fault? [censored]?!
confused2.gif
Did the dealer even know he never changes his oil? How could they know that? Did your neighbor walk into the dealer and say, "I never change my oil. Which vehicles do you have that will stand up to my negligence?" If your neighbor is that stupid, he deserves a blown engine. Maybe that'll get him to learn a lesson about properly caring for his possessions.

Seriously, if you're trying to prove a point, use a GOOD example. Excuse me while I go run my truck into a tree at 60 mph, and complain to Ford that it got a dent. I'll show them "big auto" crooks!

You missed my point. Do you think when drive by wire throttle came out they tested for every possibly? No, they rushed it to make $$. Look at all the problems unintended acceleration has caused. Now cars may even be able to be hacked remotely.

This is pointless. Learn the hard way....

Umm no, I didn't miss your point at all. You're saying automakers should make their engines so they stand up to people never changing their oil. Sorry, but vehicles are complex machines and they require periodic maintenance. If someone fails to perform the maintenance clearly outlined in their owner's manual, that's on them, not the automaker.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Umm no, I didn't miss your point at all. You're saying automakers should make their engines so they stand up to people never changing their oil. Sorry, but vehicles are complex machines and they require periodic maintenance. If someone fails to perform the maintenance clearly outlined in their owner's manual, that's on them, not the automaker.

This. It is not the auto manufacturers fault when people are [censored] idiots. Why are you blaming the manufacturers? Are you saying they should cater to idiots? I'm not quite sure what you are thinking.

My focus has aluminum control arms, and I don't forsee an issue with them.

I really want to hate this truck as I'm not a Chrysler fan. But Fiat seems to be at least trying.

There is some relatively unproven technology on this truck. Rear coils (I think trucks deserve leaf springs). Electronic power steering. My concern with the electric power steering is that the electric bits would corrode (computers, etc) after a few years of being exposed to salt. I'm not aware of any issues with the current gen Dodge trucks and EPS issues.

I *do* like the electric power steering because that's one less thing to go bad. No more PS pump that requires bearings, that whines when it gets old, leaks, no PS lines to rot out and replace. That's a good thing!

Also glad that Chrysler stopped making their own transmissions and are sourcing from ZF. ZF can build a good transmission. As we learned with 42RE, 46RE, 41TE ... Chrysler can't. That's neither here or there, though.

Seems like that ZF 8 speed trans is going to be a lot to maintain - or I'm just spoiled by $10/gal dexIII.

SteveSRT8 - can you provide a picture of the rear tracbar setup?

I think if I were to buy a new pickup right now, it'd probably be a Dodge 1500 Tradesman model. It is the most conservative looking pickup on the market. Good running gear and such with port injection and ZF transmission.

I would be waiting for warranty to be up and it would get leaf springs as soon as its out of warranty, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back