Took the Amsoil plunge today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed 5 quarts of 10w-30 Signature Series and a Fram Ultra XG3387 filter on my low-mile 1998 Buick Century with the 3.1 V6. The engine seems really smooth on this stuff. Previous fill was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w-30.

If you are near the PA warehouse Pablo will give you a free membership,

Then you can go pick it up for free.

well I think he will give you a free one no matter what

Amsoil is good stuff. It just costs a lot more than the Mobil 1 I am running right now. I used to run Amsoil 0W30 Signature Series which is their top tier oil and nothing but Amsoil, until the price doubled and when you factor in the shipping price makes it out of reach for a lot of people.

I was thinking about running Amsoil again in the near future. The more you buy, the cheaper it gets and shipping costs don't seem that bad when you amortize it over the amount of oil and oil filters you buy. Amsoil makes the best synthetic oil you can buy.

I don't mind spending extra for Amsoil. Some of the Wal Mart synthetics are close to $9 per quart now so spending a little extra for a top quality product doesn't bother me.

Originally Posted By: 340_Magnum
I don't mind spending extra for Amsoil. Some of the Wal Mart synthetics are close to $9 per quart now so spending a little extra for a top quality product doesn't bother me.

Most expensive synthetic at Walmart that I saw when I was there today was priced at: $7.74 per quart. Which one costs more?

$9 per a quart container. By the jug tho most can be had for $5 or less. Sure Royal Purple is a little more but still. Nothing against amsoil never used it myself but people love it.

Personally I would rather buy 2 jugs of regular name brand synthetic and have fresher oil (compared to a long run on 1 oil).

If you like the oil and you feel its worth the money then that's what counts.

I might have given it a try if it was available at a few retailers (other then Auto Zone O'Riley's). I can only imagine them carrying it by the quart for some off the wall price like 17.99 per quart..

I agree. Why 10W30? Why not run 0W30 Amsoil signature series? That's their best oil.

If money was no object I would run Amsoil 0W30 with an Amsoil EA oil filter and change it every 5K miles. I agree with 3800Series in that I would rather have fresh oil and a fresh filter more often than running the same oil and oil filter for a long period of time and a ton of miles.

I don't care what oils and filters guarantee in terms of protection, I would NEVER run any oil or filter for a long period of time. Oil and filters are cheap insurance and they ensure that you won't have an oil related failure. $30-$50 for oil and filter will protect thousands of dollars worth of engine repairs or engine replacement.

Last edited:
The engine specifies 5w-30 but I've always been a little partial to 10w-30 since it usually has a lower NOACK value and is more shear-stable than 5w-30 oil. It's just a personal preference.

The engine specifies 5w-30 but I've always been a little partial to 10w-30 since it usually has a lower NOACK value and is more shear-stable than 5w-30 oil. It's just a personal preference.

The Amsoil 0W30 SS oil offers the best protection over the Amsoil 5W30 or the Amsoil 10W30 SS oils. Since you live in a cold climate, the 0W30 SS oil would be your best bet. You can safely run a 0W30 oil in any application that calls for a 5W30 grade oil. 0W30 is specifically made for colder climates for better cold starting flow properties.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I agree. Why 10W30? Why not run 0W30 Amsoil signature series? That's their best oil.

If money was no object I would run Amsoil 0W30 with an Amsoil EA oil filter and change it every 5K miles. I agree with 3800Series in that I would rather have fresh oil and a fresh filter more often than running the same oil and oil filter for a long period of time and a ton of miles.

I don't care what oils and filters guarantee in terms of protection, I would NEVER run any oil or filter for a long period of time. Oil and filters are cheap insurance and they ensure that you won't have an oil related failure. $30-$50 for oil and filter will protect thousands of dollars worth of engine repairs or engine replacement.

5k is on the very safe side. Not trying to bash anyone but synthetic oil (as a whole) has virtually no breakdown (over a reasonable time period).

Additives will be lost before the oil is actually bad. Oil is a 2 step system. Oil to lubricate additives to help better lubricate. Iv personally witnessed a women go 20k miles on conventional oil. And the car still runs many years later.

Would I do it? No, but my car calls for 7.5k OCI with conventional oil and this was rated back on oil quality nearly 20 years ago. I feel 10k is safe for a synthetic oil as long as you don't do 10 mile trips in your car and its all city driving.

Personally I follow the 7.5k OCI and I don't have a problem but I also drive 95% at speeds of 45-75. I'm sure if I wanted to push it I could safely do 12k.

I wouldn't change amsoil oil (or any other synthetic) at 5k.

If you're going to the trouble or purchasing Amsoil you might as well get their flagship 0w30 or even 5w30. Your Century will thank you on those rare - 20F cold starts.

Make that around $5 a qt by the 5qt jug at WM.

Installed 5 quarts of 10w-30 Signature Series and a Fram Ultra XG3387 filter on my low-mile 1998 Buick Century with the 3.1 V6. The engine seems really smooth on this stuff. Previous fill was Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10w-30.

Welcome to the Amsoil club. I have used it almost exclusively since 2004.

My wife's Wrangler had a head gasket at 165k, internals were spotless and virtually no wear, sorry don't have pics.

Noticed a 1mpg increase in mpg on my (sold) Jeep Grand Cherokee after changing to Amsoil, this was when I was driving the same 2 hour stretch of highway 2-3x a week. Also noticed a reduction in the indicated coolant temps.

Aside from my testimonials, you've already noticed a smoother engine. Amsoil can be run longer, 5k may be a little short but is good for establishing a baseline. I took our old Jeeps as high as 12k, and plan to extend on the F150 once out of warranty, or maybe earlier.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

5k is on the very safe side. Not trying to bash anyone but synthetic oil (as a whole) has virtually no breakdown (over a reasonable time period).

Additives will be lost before the oil is actually bad. Oil is a 2 step system. Oil to lubricate additives to help better lubricate. Iv personally witnessed a women go 20k miles on conventional oil. And the car still runs many years later.

Would I do it? No, but my car calls for 7.5k OCI with conventional oil and this was rated back on oil quality nearly 20 years ago. I feel 10k is safe for a synthetic oil as long as you don't do 10 mile trips in your car and its all city driving.

Personally I follow the 7.5k OCI and I don't have a problem but I also drive 95% at speeds of 45-75. I'm sure if I wanted to push it I could safely do 12k.

That's not true in every case, some engines are harder on oil that oils, especially when it comes to shearing the oil to or near out of grade whether its mechanical or thermal shearing. In those cases the HTHS value matters more in order to "go longer" on the interval with any oil being used.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you're going to the trouble or purchasing Amsoil you might as well get their flagship 0w30 or even 5w30. Your Century will thank you on those rare - 20F cold starts.

Couldn't agree with you more! Amsoil's signature series 0W30 is their flagship oil and is their most robust formula. If you're gonna spend the money, at least get their best oil grade.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Back 1994, I purchased a new 1995 Chevrolet Impala SS equipped with GM's LT1 engine and I took very good care of that car. Maybe too good care of that car. I was essentially wasting time and money as I would change the oil every 3,000 miles.

Where I was really stupid in this situation was that I was running Mobil 1 5W30 and a Mobil 1 oil filter (best oil filter available at the time) every 3,000 miles when I could have gone at least 2-3 times longer on the same oil and filter.

I ran 3,000 mile OCI with Mobil 1 5W30 and Mobil 1 oil filters from it's first oil change until the engine threw a rod at 75K miles. Who knows what caused the issue, but I doubt it was an oil related failure as I always had fresh oil and a new filter on that car. It was a shame as the GM LT1 engine was known to go a few hundred thousand miles without any issues. I just got a weak engine apparently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back