Does Anyone Know If Purolator Fixed Their Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still using Pure One 14477s on several Toyotas, haven't found a problem when cutting them open after 5K, but my sample size is too small to be of any real use.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Does anyone know if purolator fixed the tear issues yet or if they are doing anything at all to improve their Bad oil filters? I wrote to them and asked this question about a month ago and of course got no answer at all that is why we stopped buying them. It seems everyone from oil change jockeys to the auto parts store clerks knows about the tear issues. But nobody knows anything about them fixing the oil filters. Im liking the wix and napa gold (same filter) and even their jobber filters but they are more money and when you buy a couple of hundred filters at a time it adds up.
I'm sure those clerks and drippy lube types all have personal knowledge of the issue, and are NOT relying upon the friendly neighborhood filter salesman.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
Purolator Classic used to be my main oil filter but the tearing issue has changed that.

I really do wonder if Purolator cheapened these filters to meet a price point for Walmart? how much could they really save by taking out a few pleats of paper (which seems to be why they tear).
Walmart doesn't sell Pure Ones so THEY should be OK, right?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
it will take a lot longer than 6 months for them to fix something that they don't admit is a problem. that company is a joke i am not sure what happened but the quality went from good to junk in no time. We cant use them its too much of a liability to use them after knowing the problems and discussing this issue with other rebuilders all over NJ, PA, and NY.at our bi monthly meetings.
Would you say the same about GM and their little recall issue?

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Since you are a pro what are you hearing from others around the industry?
I am curious about what actual auto shops are saying about this
When I ask down here I just get looked at kind of funny and I have to explain what I am talking about

And here I thought "everybody" had quit using them.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

I agree. The WIX fanboys are out of control on this site.....
smile.gif

And the NAPA guys.

You can't type oil filter on this forum without the next post being about NAPA Gold and their filtration efficiency, blah, blah, blah....
smile.gif

Just kidding...

The real fanboys are all over the lawn mower threads and probably in the humor section.

Why did the chicken cross the road? To buy a FRAM Ultra.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I agree. The WIX fanboys are out of control on this site.....
smile.gif

And the NAPA guys.

You can't type oil filter on this forum without the next post being about NAPA Gold and their filtration efficiency, blah, blah, blah....
smile.gif

Just kidding...

The real fanboys are all over the lawn mower threads and probably in the humor section.

Why did the chicken cross the road? To buy a FRAM Ultra.

If you do all your OCI purchases at WM, what other option is there if:

A.) you hate the "carboard" construction of the PH and TG.
B.) want to avoid Purolator and Purolator made products.
C.) want to spend the least amount possible.

This has always been my point.

I understand the MC and Mopar filters arent an issue, but not everyone can (/or knows they can) run them. There is of course the AC Delco filter, but just as before, not everyone can use them.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: pbm
Purolator Classic used to be my main oil filter but the tearing issue has changed that.

I really do wonder if Purolator cheapened these filters to meet a price point for Walmart? how much could they really save by taking out a few pleats of paper (which seems to be why they tear).
Walmart doesn't sell Pure Ones so THEY should be OK, right?

The PureOnes reported with tears have been about the same as the Classics. So I guess the theory that Purolator cheapened their media to make a Walmart price point doesn't hold true in the case of the PureOne.

Even though I've said in the past that I don't think using a torn purolator filter is a big deal, I can't bring myself to buy a filter knowing that it might have torn media, or media that is prone to tearing.

I wish there was some way of knowing if the problem has been fixed, when it was fixed, etc. I completely agree with the quote below from Silver C6, this would give me the confidence to buy a purolator oil filter again, knowing that purolator has probably addressed the tear issue.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Purolator should roll out a new filter to replace the Classic touting more efficient filtration and a more durable cellulose/synthetic blend media.

That would give both the consumer and jobber markets a clear signal that they have made some improvements.

Anything less will continue to cost them sales in the markets that are aware of the tear issue.

The re-introduction would probably come with a price increase to bring the entry level Purolator more in line with the overpriced FRAM OCOD.

This really has nothing to do with GM
Just for the record i think Gm makes good vehicles but their "recall issue" is a big problem especially that they may have known and did nothing. i used to buy gm i changed to Hyundai recently because they run well and have great warranties even know i currently own a shop its nice to let the dealer do it for free! Problem with Hyundai is that they are not cheap anymore.

In the name of science, someone on this forum that does a lot of commercial oil changes should do a test on 2014 production Purolator filters.

Of course you would need a good filter cutter.

You could get some quick data easy in an oil change shop just cutting 2014 Purolators.

The individual would need to be beyond reproach on this forum and not be tempted by free FRAM Ultras.

In other words, FRAMites need not apply...

^^^ really? ... such Framaphobia and hate.

rolleyes :>/

Went to a different KMart today and picked up two more Purolator Synthetic PSL24651's for $7 each. Quite a bargain vs. $8.97 for a Fram Ultra XG2 at WM.

I'm not worried about using the Purolator Synthetic oil filters personally, for the 8k miles / 6 months OCI for me to keep my truck's powertrain warranty.

KMart is the only place near me that stocks the Purolator Synthetic oil filters, and they have a very narrow limited selection.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ really? ... such Framaphobia and hate.

rolleyes :>/

Well, I guess...

Hate is such a strong word.

But if we're talking self-radicalized FRAMites....

Originally Posted By: Redpatches
I'm sticking with Fram Ultra and M1 filters for now until Purolators are certified Ebola free!
27.gif

Sounds like we are watching the same news channel....

Well I am still waiting on those free Fram oil filters that we are supposedly getting from Fram for preaching about how great the Fram Ultra is. Maybe I havent posted enough how great the FU is to get into the free filter group. Is there a secret handshake I should learn
smile.gif
?

Well I am still waiting on those free Fram oil filters that we are supposedly getting from Fram for preaching about how great the Fram Ultra is. Maybe I havent posted enough how great the FU is to get into the free filter group. Is there a secret handshake I should learn
smile.gif
?

You have to figure out whether you're the pied piper or the rat.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back