Installed my last PureOne today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But not for any "ZOMG all the media tearing" issues. Never had any type of failure from them yet. But, the stash is dwindling in preparation for the upcoming move. Been using PureOne's for most of the last 50,000 miles as I got a bunch at a really good price.

Today was the last of the synthetic oil in my stash and the last of my P1 filters. Down to three 5 quart jugs of conventional and an AC Delco, a Motorcraft, a Proline, a Champ, and a STP oil filter.

Oddly assorted mix. Feels weird not to have much of a stash on hand.

Do you think the filters you have left has anything to do with your subliminal like or dislike of those filters?

I have not bought into the hoopla yet. Still have 5 pureone's
for the 2010 accent.. still using em.

Much more serious my g-oil is nearing 3-4 years old.
need to finish that off.

Last edited:
Did you cut them open? If you didn't you may have had a failure and did not know it and it might show up later.

I always thought the oil flow was restrictive from the pure ones the classics and group 7 used to be my favorite filters my belief was flow is more important than clean if you had dirty oil it would still lube but no oil its over.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Do you think the filters you have left has anything to do with your subliminal like or dislike of those filters?

Nah. I just partnered the Pure1s with syn as I tend to run it longer than conventional.

None of the remaining will be on for more than a 5-7K run with conventional oil until I start hitting up good oil sales again.

I heard a radio ad for Purolator oil filters today on the station I've listened to every morning on the way to/from work for years. First time I've every heard it. I'm wondering if Purolator is feeling a decline in sales and is therefor starting to advertise. Hummm ...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I heard a radio ad for Purolator oil filters today on the station I've listened to every morning on the way to/from work for years. First time I've every heard it. I'm wondering if Purolator is feeling a decline in sales and is therefor starting to advertise. Hummm ...

Maybe...

Maybe indeed.
I wish "they" would run an ad stating their improved their product or discovery of manufacturing flaw.
That goes for any product from any company.
Just pumping out ads is an exercise in obfuscation-to-lying if you ask me.
I know all the red, white and blue carp about advertising and how it's America's biggest industry and if I'm skeptical over an ad I'm a dirty Russian Communist etc. etc.

I also know that advertising doesn't educate as often as the philosophers say.

Actual real information would be refreshing. Kira

I had a few and returned the ones i could and threw the rest in the trash.
To me it isn't worth the risk for a few bucks.
Tearing is bad enough but what happens if some media comes loose and finds it way into the oil galley?

I was always told advertising is one of the first things a business cuts back on if things don't look too good.. Honestly I doubt Purolator has had any noticeable decreases in sales.

My last purolator classic is on my truck now. After that, I have 2 e-cores oil filters left in my stash. I did not hesitate using the purolator nor will I with the ecores, although I will only purchase none ecore and non purolator oil filters from now on. Mainly because I can get other good name brand filters for the same price.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I was always told advertising is one of the first things a business cuts back on if things don't look too good.. Honestly I doubt Purolator has had any noticeable decreases in sales.

Agree with this statement. The percentage of known problems with the quality control, on a relative scale, is relatively small. Few cut open their filters and Internet forums such as these, don't make a significant impact on a manufacturers' bottom line. I have my doubts Purolator is suffering from any noticeable decrease in sales. I imagine they will make an effort to quietly fix the issues they are aware of and leave it at that. Until there is a spike in engine failures due to the filters, I am expecting Purolator to lay low.

Virtually every thread on this forum the past couple of months have multiple users push the FRAM Ultra as the be all and end all of filters. Reality is, few beyond the Internet forums are willing to pay $8+ for a filter, regardless of how good it is.

Value for the dollar for a 3-5K OCI is what will ultimately prevail because the majority of vehicle owners follow this routine. The Purolator remains in this category as one of the best value-brand filters out there.

Fram knows how to build a GOOD oil filter but they charge 8 bucks for it.
The OCOD us not it.

Last edited:
It does what it is supposed to do-filter your oil for up to 5000 miles
What else do you want it to do?

Originally Posted By: Trav
I had a few and returned the ones i could and threw the rest in the trash.
To me it isn't worth the risk for a few bucks.
Tearing is bad enough but what happens if some media comes loose and finds it way into the oil galley?

I'm going to run it if I paid for it.

Heck, I even run FRAM OCODs and FRAM Ultras when I get them "free" in an oil deal.

But I don't have to like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back