2013 Silverado 5.3 lifter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck has 45,000 miles on it but when I cold start it one or two lifters sound like someones hammering on the engine. Used Mobil 1 5w30 since day one and wanted to ask should I try some type of additive or something before I take it to the dealer?
I had a 2011 that my engine had to be replaced due to the dealer giving me the (That's Normal) [censored].

Just want to stop further damage if there's a chance.

Thanks

Last edited:
If you are still under warranty, I'd urge you to bring it into the dealer right away. If one dealer says the hammering is normal, I'd go to another dealer.

Sometimes synthetics can cause more noise than a conventional. I would suggest you try a blend meeting your required specs like Maxlife 5w30 or Pennzoil Gold

Sounds like the dreaded GM piston slap. I hear the 5.3 engines do it and I have had a few 3.1 V6 engines that did it. Should go away when the engine warms up but will return on the next cold-start.

My 2011 had piston slap and was deeper in the engine and the Normal excuse end up making GM pay for a new motor. This is up top driver side. This is the exact same sound but mine is right at start up and quits after about a minute or two.

Link> Ticking

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gofasterrrr
Link> Ticking

Yep, that's lifter tick alright. I know the sound very well. I had a Ford one time that had lifter tick so bad, it bent two pushrods. Either something is blocking oil flow to the lifters, or the lifters are bleeding down too easy. I'd be getting that oil out of there ASAP. Actually, I would've never had M1 5W-30 in there in the first place. I'd get me a good 10W-30 in there if it was me. Chevron!

What oil filter you got on there?

I've heard that it's pretty normal as the oil is pushed out of the lifters that the cam lobes land on when the engine comes to a stop. If this is true it would mean a couple of lifters would be dry for a a second or two on starup

Take it to the dealer, leave it overnight if you have to. You paid for a warranty in the price use it. Its more likely excessive bleed down than the Mobil 1 causing it.

I doubt the cause is your oil choice. Are u using an OEM oil filter? The cause could be a number of reasons, but Ur not alone. Many GM truck owners are in the same boat. Because ur still under warranty, let GM deal with it like others have said.

I've got a 2009 Avalanche that's had lifter tick since around the 47k mile mark. From what I have been able to research, some 5.3's have it and some don't. It's probably related to the AFM lifters. Yes I have had mine to two different dealers during its warranty period, both telling me its normal.

Really love the truck, just hate to hear the lifters rattle every morning on a almost $50k truck.

BTW I've tried a few different oils...same noise. Currently running PP 5w30 and a AC Delco filter. From what I understand it's a mechanical issue, and no type of additive, is going to fix a mechanical issue in the engine.

I'm a lifetime GM man, but this will probably be my last GM. Really liking the looks and reviews of the Ram 1500 hemi's.

Well I use Mobil 1 and ac delco P48 filter but was told to try a different filter. Napa gold etc.
I do believe this just might be my last GM also. I checked the oil and was noticing that it was over filled.
Funny thing is I do my own oil changes and 6 quarts puts it a hair under the 4th notch. It is about another nothing above the top notch.

So, either the dealer added oil when I took it in or the filter is draining back but that's not enough to make 1/4 quart or more.

Last edited:
Sounds like lifter tick, engine needs a couple new lifters. Sometimes if you goose the throttle after start up and spike the oil pressure it can go away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: gofasterrrr
Link> Ticking

Yep, that's lifter tick alright. I know the sound very well. I had a Ford one time that had lifter tick so bad, it bent two pushrods. Either something is blocking oil flow to the lifters, or the lifters are bleeding down too easy. I'd be getting that oil out of there ASAP. Actually, I would've never had M1 5W-30 in there in the first place. I'd get me a good 10W-30 in there if it was me. Chevron!

What oil filter you got on there?

For what factual reason when M1 5w30 meets all GM specifications?

Many trucks have this-as stated. My 2011 w/the 5.3 makes the noise as well. The discussion on other boards is most dealers don't wish to do anything about it. In addition, most run normally when they warm up-at least for now.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
For what factual reason when M1 5w30 meets all GM specifications?

I can't give you a factual reason, but I can give you a trend reason.

It's been a long established trend here on BITOG that Mobil 1 5W-30 causes problems. I'd try a different oil and filter first before changing out lifters. Always do the easiest first when it comes to repairing cars.

CLICK HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back